How to get over the band sound? acoustic solo

bsinda

• Members

Hail

I hope you help me with what I think must be a common problem but as newbie I can't find out by myself.

I started to play with a band (drums, Bass, keyboard, and 2 guitar players included me). We play pop, rock, and some songs of mine.

I play both electric and acoustic guitars but never played on a band before . (yeah 1st exsperience at nearly 30 yearsof age, shame on me)

I have a Simon and Patrick CW6 Cedar which has I think a great acoustic sound and a less good plugged sound. (thinking of changing the onboard system for a bluestick or anything elese you can suggest me but maybe this should be another thread))

The problem is I play both strumming and arpeggios, or solo on some songs.

So either I am too loud on strumming either nobody gets the details of arpeggios/fingerpicking or solo cause they can't ear me !

I plugged my acoustic guitar on a nice Schertler unico amp and tried to use a volume pedal on this amp. But I think the pedal is no help for me. I have to be very accurate with my foot with it.

ANd this thing doesn't resove the "detailess sound " on arpeggiosfingerpicking.

So What do I need to get nearly same volume on strumming and arpeggios (if you tell me use the volume knob I will answer I am so skillness I can't sing&play and at the same time use with accuracy the onboard preamp volume knob).

Maybe a compressor pedal ?

I am a total noob on band playing maybe you will be able to help me...

• Members

It sounds like you need two different volume settings, basically. One for leads and one for strumming.

I don't think you should rule out being accurate with the volume pedal. But here is another thought.

'BYPASS'.

Most FX footpedals boost input. Buy an FX pedal, it almost doesn't matter what kind. Then turn the fx all the way down. If there's an input knob, turn it up.

For those parts that need to be louder, you activate the FX pedal.

When you need to lower the volume again, you deactivate it. Press the pedal down for bypass. Then you're back to the default volume level you use.

That would take care of the volume issue. But for a beautiful sound, definition, warmth and the separation of your guitar from the other instruments, two ideas, I'd get a compressor.

1. vc3big.jpg

Once you use that, you'll never want to be without it again. JoeMeek compression is real special.

AND a drastic measure:

2. Maple.

Maple guitars are very good at standing out, even in the midst of a bunch of other guitars. That's why I like my Maple Dragon.

• Members

1st thanks for your reply.

As for the compressor goes I was thinking of using it cause I got one in my electric pedalboard.
the question was which one for an acoustic guitar...? I got a keeley for my electric gig , but was thinking of a rack one I can use at home for both voice and acoustic guitar.

then using a fx pedal to boost , nice(and cheap) idea but won't the pedal denaturate the guitar sound even with fx all way turned down ?

the only thing I am affraid is feedback with a booster.
Once , I used my keeley booster (yep true fan of his work) usually used with my electric guitar and get a huge huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmm if you know what I mean.
this goes to ..my unconvered question ...changing mic maybe for a bluestick . (huge level no feedback)
I noticed many artists used somekind of feedback buster maybe should i try it + a fx boost and a compressor.

Where should I place a chorus pedal (I like a slight chorus sound with acoustic) on a fx chain ?

I will look for the joemeek Vc3. Can't get one around here maybe ebay will help. Does it have european plug ?

• Members

Award-Session, a British company have the pedal you need.
It`s misleadingly called Solo Booster because what it really does is attenuate the preset level for rhythm stuff.
It sits in your effects loop, has one knob for presetting your levels and is true bypass.
I use one for electric stuff and it works great. Cheap too.

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

Here's an idea that'll save ya some bucks: Set your volume control to where it's as loud as you need it to be, then
learn how to use dynamics
in your playing...

And what I learned was that, in order for my picked single note lines to sound right on my Larrivee L-05, they need to be picked very softly. Thus learning to use dynamics properly taught me that I need a way to boost volume for lead parts. And I really don't think that the anwer is to learn how to strum even more softly.

• Members

Here's an idea that'll save ya some bucks: Set your volume control to where it's as loud as you need it to be, then
in your playing...

I would suggest the same thing and add to it some kind of A-B peddle to give you an extra boost if you need it.

Technique goes a long way, farther than peddles, IMO.

• Members

thanks for all your replies, i really appreciate it.
As for technic goes, I have a lon long way to go through, I assume it. I can't compare my skills to most of you ....whoever you are.
There must be a "technical" way to make those arpeggios and single note licks sound better, I am sure of it. From now I can't do it by myself.

• Members

in your playing...

Exactly

• Members

Originally posted by Magpel

And what I learned was that, in order for my picked single note lines to sound right on my Larrivee L-05, they need to be
picked very softly
. Thus learning to use dynamics properly taught me that I need a way to boost volume for lead parts. And I really don't think that the anwer is to learn how to strum even more softly.

That exactly what you need to learn to do...trust me, it'll never be a bad idea and your guitar will never sound sweeter!

Dynamics is key!

The toughest part is training your band members to use dynamics, too...typically, the hardest to teach dynamics to is drummers, with electric guitarists running a close 2nd.

• Members

Controlling dynamics in a band setting is easier said than done on acoustic. Especially going from rhythm strumming to finger picking. Here's what I'd do... The mandolin player i occasionally play with has a preamp with a footswitch for on and off. He just steps on it for solos and then he turns it off for regular accompaniment. I'll try and find out what it is. What I do is I have an Aura (but a cheap $50 Zoom 504II will work the same way because I used it before I got the Aura) and all I do is set up 2 programs right next to each other. One for flatpicking/strumming and one for fingerpicking. I just set the volume different on each program so that the volume of strumming is equal to the volume of fingerpicking and just step on the program up/down button to select each patch. Works great once you dial in how much volume you need for each patch, much more accurate than a volume pedal, too.
Even if you bypass the effects on the Zoom it's worth $50 for this ability alone. You can set up as many patches with as many differnt volumes as you want to.:thu:

• Members

That
exactly
what you need to learn to do...trust me, it'll never be a bad idea and your guitar will never sound sweeter!

Dynamics is key!

The toughest part is training your band members to use dynamics, too...typically, the hardest to teach dynamics to is drummers, with electric guitarists running a close 2nd.

Once again thanks for your interest and you reply.

I will train on that . maybe do you have some suggestions ?

I usually use anylon dunlop pick for strumming cause I hate those hard picks (even If some guys said it's better for solo).

Since some months I prefer use finger for arpeggios.

Do you think sing my thumb for strumming will be a great idea ? Or should I have to find another way . Strumming with open hand can get me control with some special chords but will sound with more bass ...

• Members
Originally posted by bsinda

Once again thanks for your interest and you reply.

Happy to be of whatever help I can be...lotsa folks helped me along, so I'm just sharing what others were kind enough share w/ me!
:)

I will train on that . maybe do you have some suggestions ?

Just keep at it, find the "sweet spot" on your guitar for finger-picking and for strumming (often they'll be different places)...I set the volume as loud as I need for it to be, but 90% of the time, I'm using like 75% of the potential...the other 10% (really "digging in") is for a specific "quacky tone"...

I usually use anylon dunlop pick for strumming cause I hate those hard picks (even If some guys said it's better for solo).

Doc Watson does, too...picks are a personal choice and what's "right" is what's right for
you

Since some months I prefer use finger for arpeggios.

Depending on the song, I'll use either bare fingers (ballads, bossa nova, soft rock) or a Fred Jones Speed-Pik/Dunlop .015 (2) combination (rags, blues, fast songs in open tunings).

Do you think using my thumb for strumming will be a great idea ?

Probably, for some songs, that woul;d be great...others, you might prefer a pick...

The key is to have your band-mates quiet down for the softer (bare-finger) tunes.

Or should I have to find another way . Strumming with open hand can get me control with some special chords but will sound with more bass ...

Again, it's really a question of
arranging the particular tune for a specific dynamic
...in other words: practice, practice,practice!
;)

Hope this is of help and if I can be of further assistance, free free!
:)

• Members

Mr. Hall says it best. learn to use your dynamics.

Make them BACK OFF and tighten up the groove with less extreneous notes when you are soloing. Palm comping the rythym guitar instead of open notes. Bass notes that are right on the beat without a bunch of intermediate stuff. Tell the drummer to stay off the cymbals except the closed HH or the ride and make the keyboard player drop down to strictly chords without a whole bunch of fills and runs.

Man, nothing can piss you off like other players steppin on your solos.

JMO:evil:

RT1

• Members

hehe, Nice ! I will have to kick some a*** telling my drummer and my keyboarder ... "it's not my fault , it's yours !"
So I will keep on practicing.
Farewell from Indian Ocean guitarist wanna be

PS Where Do I live ? In a far far far far away land you never heard about.

Archived