Is it ok for a guy play red guitar? Takamine EG540STRY

expertune

• Members

Originally posted by Queequeg

you make me feel so cheap, and violated

Hmmm...I wonder whether this has come up before: is there such thing as a "gay" guitar--I don't mean "gay" in any pejorative sense (some of my best friends etc etc)?

Perhaps the Melissa Etheridge Ovation 12-string (I have played one--really sweet sound, but I don't like Os)...for electric, maybe the pink paisley telecaster?

• Members

Originally posted by kwakatak

I'm guessing that that's not a solid flamed-maple top?
:confused:

Just kidding - looks aren't everything!
;)

You are right. It's not a solid top guitar, but sounds not bad. Takamine guitars have solid top if the model number with an S. Anyway I got a deal, very low price. :-)

• Members

Originally posted by expertune

You are right. It's not a solid top guitar, but sounds not bad. Takamine guitars have solid top if the model number with an S. Anyway I got a deal, very low price. :-)

LOL, yeah I know. I own a Tak as well and am familiar with their model nomenclature as well. I was just being facetious.

Sorry! :o

• Members

LOL, yeah I know. I own a Tak as well and am familiar with their model nomenclature as well. I was just being facetious.

Sorry!
:o

:-)

What's your guitar's model?

Mine, well, this funny red one, the action seems a little high. I might need sand the saddle a little bit down.

• Members

1973 (made in Japan) F-360, the model with the laminated top, laminated rosewood back/sides:

DCP_0026small.jpg

Basically, it's a knock-off of the (discontinued) Martin D-21 but doesn't sound like a Martin.

Looks in pretty good shape. 30+ yrs, must be a good guitar

• Members

Originally posted by expertune

Looks in pretty good shape. 30+ yrs, must be a good guitar

Well, I'd say there's something about it that keeps me interested. I've been crowing about it here for the past 2.5 years so I don't want to be a broken record. ;)

• Members

1973 (made in Japan) F-360, the model with the laminated top, laminated rosewood back/sides:

DCP_0026small.jpg

Basically, it's a knock-off of the (discontinued) Martin D-21 but doesn't sound like a Martin.

JT-!

note: blue couch!

• Members

I have the same model - in red. A true workhorse. Great electronics, bright sound, handles exceedingly well. It's definitely darker than the god-awful pic they put on the Tak website. I couldn't afford a Taylor, but in trying them out and comparing with the Tak, to me the Tak sounded better. Built-in tuner is a big plus, as I capo a lot and retuning on the fly is a necessity, especially having to switch to DADGAD or back to standard tuning between songs on stage.

I think you'll be very happy with that model.

mingle-mam.jpg

• Members

looks great on stage with black shirt. Did you put the strap button on by yourself? I am gonna try that.

Yes, it sounds good. I tried to record with it, found out it has a pretty good pickup system.

Originally posted by flemtone

I have the same model - in red. A true workhorse. Great electronics, bright sound, handles exceedingly well. It's definitely darker than the god-awful pic they put on the Tak website. I couldn't afford a Taylor, but in trying them out and comparing with the Tak, to me the Tak sounded better. Built-in tuner is a big plus, as I capo a lot and retuning on the fly is a necessity, especially having to switch to DADGAD or back to standard tuning between songs on stage.

I think you'll be very happy with that model.

mingle-mam.jpg

• Members

yup, drilled in the strap button on the flat end of the neck post. I've seen a bunch of strap knobs in the curved part of the neck (to avoid the guitar listing forward), but I wasn't about to drill into a curve.

This Tak is lightweight but takes a beating. The only thing to watch out for with Taks is fret height. If you capo a lot (like I do), don't put too much tension on the capo or you may bring yourself sharp. Since the frets are naturally a bit high, it takes a capo with medium tension, so I've found the Shubb to work best. Thin profile on the neck and totally adjustable.

Just a suggestion... :D

Good choice!:thu: :thu: :thu:

• Members

I tend not to like red guitars electric or acoustic. They look like toys to me. But If you dig it, there's nothing wrong with it. If it were pink, then you'd look kinda gay playing it, other than that, most colors are ok. But I prefer wood tones to black for acoustics.

Archived