Solo acoustic performers...

u6crash

• Members

What is your perfered method of amplification? Soundhole pickup? Transducer microphone? On board electronics?

For the most part I use my on board stuff because it's there, but have used soundhole pickups before. I'm thinking that when I get around to getting another acoustic that it won't have on board electronics though.

Also, do any of you often play through a slight chorus or other effect?

• Members

I mic the guitar and put it through a Fender Acoustisonic amp that has the FX on it. A little reverb is all that is needed. I have a guitar with a B-Band sysem that can blend an AST and UST through a slider and then further tweaked through the EQ. But, after all is fiddled and fuddled with, a mic still captures the sound better.

An onboard system, I have to admit, makes it easier to gig with because I like to move around quite a bit. Hell, I walk around when I play. But, if you are after the best reproduction of your guitar's sound no onboard system, currently produced, can match a mic.

• Members

Lately I've been using whatever mic the house has or whatever mic I happen to bring and run it through the PA. The simpler, the better for my acoustic shows. If the audience can pretty much make out a chord, that's good enough.

My acoustic recording I go all out. But not for my shows. The show, I feel, is more about the energy you can convey and the atmosphere you can create.

Ellen

• Members

I've been using a soundhole pickup on mine, but I'm thinking of going with a mic instead to get a better sound, a more natural sound. I play in a little band with just a bass and a keyboard and I've recently took to adding a touch of chorus to give my guitar, and our songs, a "fuller" sound.

• Members

I use an AT4041 condenser mic and or a K&K Pure Mini pickup. I'd say most often it's about 50/50, but there times when the mic cane be tough.. or amazing...it's tricky.

I almost always use just one acoustic amp, a Fishman Loudbox Performer, but sometimes I'll add a Mackie powered speaker, or use the Fishman as a pre/monitor going inot a house PA. I don't use a pre, effects, or any other gizmos.

:):):):)

• Members

Onboard pickups are convenient and allow alot more moving around. I recently miked my new guitar, with no pickups,and do think I get better sound that way. I have used chorus and reverb when plugging in my acoustic/electric with my acoustic amp,it sounds good if you're not necessarily looking for natural acoustic tone.

• Members

in a more controlled environment (showcase club or concert venue) I prefer a good quality, SD condenser on my Martin. For my bread and butter gigs (loud bar and noisy restarunt environments) I generally carry some combination of a Martin with built-in Aura, a Godin multiac, a Gibson Chet Atkins gut string and a Fender Strat for later in case things get rowdier. (You can do a lot of damage with a solid ash strat from the late 70's. ;-)

Wayne

• Members

I normally run a Fishman Rare Earth Single Coil sound hole pickup and run direct to my PA. I'll just add a tad of reverb on that channel. I will also, upon occasion, blend in a mic on the guitar.

I usually take a spare guitar along too, just in case. That will be either a guitar with a Dean Markley Sweet Spot or another acoustic that I'll pop in an old Dean Markley Pro Mag. All go direct to the PA and are dialed to taste.

• Members

Originally posted by guitarist21

The simpler, the better for my acoustic shows...The show, I feel, is more about the energy you can convey and the atmosphere you can create. Ellen

Amen, brother! Er, sister! Particularly true in noisy venues. You want good solid guitar sound, but forget about all the subtleties and nuances that only get noticed in a concert-type atmosphere, or in the tomb-like quiet of your practice space.

But then again, maybe it all depends on how/what you play. Strummy vs. soloing and such...I like to bang away, but if I do a fingerstyle piece I increase the volume (no nails) and change the EQ to a less bassy/more trebly setting.

So far I have just played my onboard (Takamine DSP preamp) through the PA. The mixing board dude makes his own adjustments anyway.

• Members

Soundhole pickup and preamp, soundguy makes the final tweaks anyway, but I get some control on my pre, going to try a compressor to get a Nashville sound, Guyatone ST, actually made in Japan, neat feature, a switch that mixes in natural signal with compressed signal, can't wait to try it.

Jim

• Members

Passive UST (no barn-door in any of my acoustics) into a Baggs PADI, into my Carvin PA1200 powered mixer, w/ just a taste of reverb....if I'm playing w/ my trio, "Too Hot For Snakes", I also use a pedal board with various stomp-boxes, but solo, generally reverb is all I use.

Used to add a mic to the mix, but a properly set-up/tweaked UST can sound every bit as good, and will feedback less.

• Members

I use a soundboard transducer (K&K)

I have been using K&K pick-ups for years. I actually use the fishman preamp that my Gibson came with onboard and took out the fisman element and soldered on the K&K p/ups. Send the signal to a peavey mixer and out to a pair of EV SX300's. Couldn't be more happy.

Love-em(k&K), but have noticed if I am playing a very loud gig they can be more prone to feedback.

Archived