Homemade 12 string

Freeman Keller

• Members

Originally posted by daklander

I think you should send it to me for a real indepth preview and demo.

Shouldn't take more than, oh, I don't know, twenny years or so....

Sweet looking box.

:idea::):cool::thu:

Wow !! Freeman what a beauty, I wish I could do that.:cry:

Trina

• Members

Great looking guitar, FK. I'd love to hear it played. How about a quick Fla vacation there, buddy? Bring the 12-er and I'll have a 12-er on ice.

By the way, I don't remember any of the specs, could you run down a few of them quickly?

Thanks and again, beauty, man, beauty.

Ray

• Members

Thanks all. I posted a couple of other pictures over at the 12 String Cafe'.

http://p082.ezboard.com/ftheunofficialmartinguitarforumfrm150.showMessage?topicID=246.topic

It is a deep bodied OM, Sitka over EIR with 5/16 non-scalloped braces. I modified the bracing a little based on a LKSM and the fact that I tune down. It is bound in rosewood with abalone (about what Martin would call a style 41 but with wood instead of the plastic. Short scale paddlehead (the neck is a D12-28 right off Martin's cnc mill). I wanted to make it a slot head but it is virtually impossible to find tuners.

It is still very tight (strung for the first time yesterday) but the sound is what I was looking for. Much more balanced than my dreadnaught 12 string, yet the same tone woods and similar bracing. It is amazing loud for such a petite little thing (sits nicely on my lap too). I've only played it in standard tuning (it was designed to be downtuned two half steps) and I just used some strings I had laying around the house knowing that it will all come apart in a week or so to tweak the setup.

You all know the joy you get making music - I guess that is one of the big reasons we play these things. The feeling of making music on an instrument that I've made is simply indescribable.

Guest Anonymous

Wow!!!

Impressive! You are a talented individual. Those 12s are beautiful. I repaired guitars for a short while, but I don't think I'd ever have the patience to build.

• Members

Originally posted by Jacktheshrubber

If you decide to ever start taking commissions, I think there will be quite a line of us forumites waiting. Your work is amazing. Please keep them coming!
:thu:

+1-Build me a classical!:wave:

• Members

I have never really paid much attention to 12 strings, though I do own a nice Yamaha. Most I have seen are dreads, is the OM size very unusual. Ever since getting my first OM I cannot imagine buying another dread, as I play nothing but fingerstyle. Your OM 12 string makes me think differently about 12's in general as a fingerstyle guitar. Chris Smither's new DVD lesson has a 12 string piece. It is on my Christmas list, the DVD, not the 12 string.

As to taking order's to build for others, I wonder how the hourly rate would stack up against your day job.;)

Archived