Leon Redbone Appreciation Thread

Stackabones

• Members

Muddslide's been talking about 20s and 30s music, and TAH reminded me about Leon Redbone, so ...

Mr. Jelly Roll Baker with Cindy Cashdollar on dobro?

Sweet Sue, When You Wish Upon A Star, I Ain't Got Nobody. Stick around for his killer version of I Ain't Got Nobody. Wow!

On Alf's Talk Show! Opens with Polly Wolly Doodle and then does a duet with Alf! Too cool.

Anybody got any stories to relate? Tell about shows you've been to? What kind of Gibson is he playing? CD recommends? Anything else?

• Members

OMG, this is cool. I haven't thought about Redbone for a zillion years or so. Way back then I took my wife to see him in a little venue in Seattle - she had never heard of him and said "what the hell are you taking me to?"

After the show she bought me his Red White and Blue album. I better dig that out and play it.

• Members

he's been a favorite of mine for a long time. I've seen him twice over the years and I've got tix to see him again on January 22 here in Ann Arbor. When you Wish Upon a Star is such a great tune when Leon does it.
He's a pro. I love his whole repertoire.
He gets my vote.

• Members

First saw him on Saturday Night Live a bunch of years ago, then about 3 months later, he performed in Dallas, so I made sure to be in the 1st row...just him on vocals, guitar, racked harp on a few numbers and a Tuba player.

That night he was playing a 00-18 that looked to be pretty old, and I've since seen him playing a Gibson C-100 from the 50s, a National Zephyr, and a Martin 0-45 on various occasions.

• Members

I don't know how old Stackabones is but so far it seems like only the old farts here are into it.
Stackabones , you asked about recommending CDs. tis the season for his Christmas Island record. I swear when you hear him doing White Christmas, he croons just like Bing.
I also have
UP A LAZY RIVER,
DOUBLE TIME,
ANY TIME

AND
SUGAR
and you wont go wrong with any of those. Ironically, he has a 'best of' CD and I never heard of any of them, so it might be kind of "tongue-in-cheek" which wouldn't be unlike the old boy...

BTW, nice socks in the video!

• Members
Originally posted by Stackabones

Muddslide's been talking about 20s and 30s music, and TAH reminded me about Leon Redbone, so ...

Mr. Jelly Roll Baker
with Cindy Cashdollar on dobro?

Correct! Looking and sounding sweet, too!

Sweet Sue, When You Wish Upon A Star, I Ain't Got Nobody
. Stick around for his killer version of I Ain't Got Nobody. Wow!

Wow...that's Leon at his butt-kickin' best on his C-100!
:thu:

On Alf's Talk Show
! Opens with Polly Wolly Doodle and then does a duet with Alf! Too cool.

Thanks for posting these clips!
:thu:

Anybody got any stories to relate? Tell about shows you've been to? What kind of Gibson is he playing? CD recommends? Anything else?

• Members

I had a Redbone jones a few weeks ago, and pulled up the same three youtube clips. I wish there was more. I'm not an old fart, at least, I'm fresher than most (pre-30), but I've been listening to him off and on for the past dozen years. I may have to finally pick up one of his albums, now that I'm in an old-timey group. The library doesn't have any.

Quequeg, how long have you been in Ann Arbor? I just moved to the west end of MI after spending a few years there.

• Members

Champagne Charlie Got the Blues (by Golly)

Leon is too cool. Always loved his stuff.

I googled this:

Champagne Charlie
Public Domain-Arranged by Leon Redbone
I went to see a young lady
I ain't been there before
Her shoes and stockings in her hand
And her feet all over the floor
Champagne Charlie is my name
Champagne Charlie is my name by golly and roguin' and stealing my game

I went down to Louisville
Got kicked in the ... by a big fat mule
And I ain't going back no more

I went to see a lady,
She fed me out of an old pig's trough
And I ain't going back no more

I got drunk last night
And all the nights before
Ain't gonna get drunk no more
Ain't gonna get

• Members
Originally posted by Queequeg

I don't know how old Stackabones is but so far it seems like only the old farts here are into it.

Old fartdom differs per forum. In Guitar Jam, I think if you're over 21 then you qualify. Here in AG? I'm just south of four-oh ... so can I get the Early Bird HCAG special?

I remember my Dad listening to him, and I remember the Doritos commercial (there was one, right?), and I remember something about a Super Bowl (this can't be right, right?). I know he was on SNL, but I can just barely recall Father Guido Sarducci and I think that's who I remember on it and not Leon.

Father_Guido_Sarducci.jpgredbone3.png

Switched at birth?

A friend of mine told me he saw Leon do a show where he had a glass of red wine on a stool next to him. After each song, he took a sip. When he finished the evening, he took the last sip and that was it!

Cherry Vanilla picks up Leon. Nothing after the first few words with him. Cherry Vanilla?

• Members

ah...
switched @ birth?
or twin sons of different mothers?
the 'imponderables'...
I know that Leon did several commercials a decade or so ago. Which ones, couldn't tell you any more. I was never much of a TV enthusiast, though.
My mind is like a steel trap. old and rusty.
well, stackabones, if you're looking 40 straight in the eye, you deserve an honorary membership.

fine print:
this can, however be revoked if you are found using the word-phrase 'whatever' or the word 'like' twice in the same sentence or even a single instance of this word as an unsuitable substitute for 'said'.
like totally.

• Members
Originally posted by marcellis

In the same vein, but in French, y'all might like

les Primitifs du Futur

It's cartoonist
Robert Crumb's
band.

Here's a full-length RA clip of
"Kid Chocolat"
from their "World Musette" CD.

BTW, I love that Jobim album stackabones.

"Carinhoso" is one of my all-time favorite pieces of music.

Jobim's the man.

Thanks for reminding me of les Primitifs! I've been wanting to get that, but forgot.

Musette! Some of the tracks on Cuisine Non-Stop have that musette/Les Primitifs feel, but decidedly more modern.

B00006596Q.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Oh, well, probably should start another thread. :rolleyes:

Archived