Potential HCAG track:

kwakatak

• Members

I like the Larri too. The only thing I'd suggest is to play it with a little more spirit, snap.

That's what I was thinking. The Strat version has more of that "snap" because I recorded it in the afternoon. The Larri tracks were laid down after midnight when I was in a mellower mood.

• Members

Great song Neil. I like the Larri naturally. My main impression though is that's three more or less identical takes with very little by way of goofs. I have a fingerstyle tune I've been playing for 40 years now and I can't get through it even once without making some timing or fretting goofs. I mentioned once before that my pinky doesn't work very good any more. Anyway, good job.

• Members

That's what I was thinking. The Strat version has more of that "snap" because I recorded it in the afternoon. The Larri tracks were laid down after midnight when I was in a mellower mood.

OK, take 3 acoustic is up. I recorded it this afternoon when I had a couple of cups of Kona in me so it has lots of snap. Is my OCD showing or what?

http://media.putfile.com/Pickin-in-the-Kitchen-03062007A-RVB

• Members

I liked that better. The tone seemed less bass heavy, the tempo had a bit more energy and the dynamics had more SNAP.
:thu:

Thanks!

Leave it to JT to call out what was missing! Here's what I did different this time:

1: recorded during the daytime (in a sunlit window! :) ) when my ass wasn't quite dragging yet

2: played standing up (strap tied to the headstock)

3: used palm muting on the bass strings and dug in a little more with the fingertips on the higher strings

4: stepped further away from the microphone so that I was more like 18" away (thanks for the suggestion, Hud! :) )

• Members

4: stepped further away from the microphone so that I was more like 18" away (thanks for the suggestion, Hud!
:)
)

I'm glad I could help. I had a similiar problem with the bass end on my spruce / rosewood Masterbilt.

• Members

Neil:

Pace was perfect that time, I think. Are you still using an SM57? or am I thinking of somebody else? I still think that your larri has a different Bass tone than you're getting on the recording. What about that over the left shoulder pointed at the 12th fret business that some of the guys are using?

Getting to know your tune pretty good now!:)

Archived