Potential HCAG track:

kwakatak

• Members
I think Chet would approve. I do.

Thanks, Freeman! :)

I don't know if it's 100% original but I made it up one morning last fall while I was plunking away on my old plywood Kay at the kitchen table. Hence the name. It was originally an exercise on the alternate thumb technique but became my take on Windy & Warm.

It's a pretty basic chord progression:
C Am F G

With the variation being:
Am F G C

I'm kind of proud that I'm able to play it cleanly on the narrow neck on my Strat - 1.65" wide at the nut.

• Members

I like it Neil. The alternating thumb is a very fun rythm to use and you can go out and back in so easily and never lose a thing.

I like the electric version. I'd like to hear the acoustic as well. I listened a couple times and came in with an accompaniment the third time. I used to play this stuff with the (good ol') boys when I lived in Kentucky. Every Saturday morning we'd get together and try to do some justice to Mr. Travis' style. This IS the cash register.

• Members

I say try it acoustic if you really want but I'm totally digging the Strat. Great tone.

Ellen

I'm gonna have to put new strings on my plywood Kay then. the Tak and Larri just don't pull it off with Travis picking - they're rosewood and sound muddy.

• Members

I'm gonna have to put new strings on my plywood Kay then. the Tak and Larri just don't pull it off with Travis picking - they're rosewood and sound muddy.

What the hell. The Kay helped inspire it. I agree about the muddy part. Spruce over hog is next on my list.

• Members

Here's a couple of acoustic takes with the Larrivee.

Pickin' In the Kitchen (acoustic) - take 1
Pickin' In the Kitchen (acoustic) - take 2

Just for reference, here's the electric clip again:
Pickin' In the Kitchen (electric)

Sorry, no clips with the Kay yet. I'm waiting for the strings (Martin SP Fingerstyle PB) to settle in a little more; it sounds just like what it is right now: a cardboard box. :(

• Members

Here's a couple of acoustic takes with the Larrivee.

Pickin' In the Kitchen (acoustic) - take 1

Pickin' In the Kitchen (acoustic) - take 2

Just for reference, here's the electric clip again:

Pickin' In the Kitchen (electric)

Sorry, no clips with the Kay yet. I'm waiting for the strings (Martin SP Fingerstyle PB) to settle in a little more; it sounds just like what it is right now: a cardboard box.
:(

The Larrivee sounds great. I have no idea why you want to use the Kay.

What tuning is that?

• Members

I like the Larrivee with this tune. I think you might be pickin' fly crap out of pepper regarding the bassyness but, like you say, you are a perfectionist. I really don't know if you can best it with the KAY - different, yep - because I think it's just fine.

• Members

Sounds like standard tuning to me, Hud. Neil does mention capoing to get the nut out of it on the open strings. I do that with some tunes - 2nd fret - and it does take some boom away from the bass.

I know he messes around with alternate tunings. I thought he may be using some type of dropped tuning.

• Members

Sweb's right - the guitar is tuned completely normally, Hud. The OM-03R surprisingly has a lot of bass/overtones for a mid-sized guitar. IMO it sounds best capoed at the 2nd or 3rd fret, but then so does my Tak.

Have you tried moving the mic away from the guitar a bit?

• Members

My Epi surprises me sometimes with the bass tones. I can sometimes balance it with a little EQ-ing after the track is recorded, but I don't like to mess with the sound much.

Have you tried moving the mic away from the guitar a bit?

Moving the mic helps me a lot to balance the tone before the track is recorded. The Epi tends to sound the best with the mic pointed right above where the cutaway would be if there was one.

Ellen

Archived