Takamine CTP-1 COOL TUBE PREAMP, how good is it?

Grayson73

• Members

I'm looking for an acoustic/electric that I will use 90% plugged in straight to a PA with 99% strumming. Therefore, electronics quality is very important to me. Budget is $1000 (new or used).

I came across some threads about the CTP-1 in the high end Takamine's. How good is it? Are Tak guitars with this preamp the best suited for my uses?

• Members

I own a Takamine Jumbo TF250SMCSB, it's japanese made and has the cool tube pre-amp (solid spruce top/maple back and sides). The cool tube brings out the harmonics of the guitar and warms up the sound in general. You can also use a secondary soundhole pickup and blend it with the cool tube if you want. You can adjust how much cool tube warmth you want in your sound with the twist of the knob. The built-in tuner is a handy thing to have, too.

Also, I asked my rep. before I bought my guitar how much heat the cool tube generates inside the guitar...it only warms to a couple degrees above ambient temperature, so you don't need to worry about it causing damage to your guitar. The other cool thing about Takamine's guitars is that SOME of the pre-amps are interchangable, so if your amplification needs change, an adjustment can fairly easily be made.

In my opinion, the pickup breathes a certain "life" into the amplified acoustic sound, quite unlike any other ac/el. i've heard or played. I think it's a versatile pickup and pre-amp and recommend that you try one out for yourself!

• Members

Takamine guitars are not very popular here. I don't know why.....

I'm old school when it comes to acoustic guitars. A nice acoustic guitar should sound great unplugged. The goal is to transfer the great acoustic sound through a PA without compromising or coloring the natural tone of the guitar.

I think you should buy the best sounding guitar unplugged and add a pickup / preamp.

• Members

Takamine guitars are not very popular here. I don't know why.....

I'm old school when it comes to acoustic guitars. A nice acoustic guitar should sound great unplugged. The goal is to transfer the great acoustic sound through a PA without compromising or coloring the natural tone of the guitar.

I think you should buy the best sounding guitar unplugged and add a pickup / preamp.

I'm glad I am in common company, I'm not sure why I don't care for Takamines. Perhaps it's the cosmetics and the feel of thick finish, who knows.

• Members

I'm glad I am in common company, I'm not sure why I don't care for Takamines. Perhaps it's the cosmetics and the feel of thick finish, who knows.

Here I beg to differ, for the live musician who mostly uses the guitars through the system, takamines are a great value for money besides having an efficient pickup pre amp system, so if it's the old CTB4 or the new cool tube set up, it does the job efficiently.

As far as cosmetics and workmanship goes, Takamines made in Japan are second to none.

They started off by making copies of Martin and Guild in the 70s, perhaps that's why the purists among us do not like them, but they now are doing well on their own.

I have started my musical journey as a pro in 1987 with a Takamine EN10(cedar top/ mahgony back), i sold this guitar in 1991, i have always regretted this. for me, Takamine did the job and introduced me into the world of pro A/E guitars at a great price.

Regards,

keyshore

• Members

I love my Taks. The Cooltube is a very nice enhancement, especially when paired with the Triax pickup (rebadged LR Baggs M1).

They also sound great unplugged, and mine play like butter too. When I bought my last Tak, it was up against a Martin, a Gibson, a Maton and a Cole Clarke. It was my favourite in all categories, although the Cole Clarke was edging close for amplified sound.

• Members

I love my Taks. The Cooltube is a very nice enhancement, especially when paired with the Triax pickup (rebadged LR Baggs M1).

How does the Triax pickup improve the sound? The built-in pickup already has cooltube and tone controls. Is adding the Triax similar to adding a pedal (Chorus, for example)?

• Members

Hey, Grayson - I responded to your PM. Sorry if it isn't much help.

Basically I have no experience with the electronics on the current Taks. I have an old old Takamine F series that I love a lot but it doesn't have any electronics whatsoever. That's OK by me since the guitar is 33 years old and I couldn't see the original electronics lasting this long since I think they all used tubes at that time! It's also my "beater" guitar (I keep it out to play around the house, play outside or just distract my toddler from my Larrivee) so it fits its purpose, but if I were to ever put a pickup in it I'd probably start by trying a Baggs M1 Active or installing a K&K Pure Western mini on it.

As for the newer Taks, I used to think that they were a good alternative to Taylor guitars at or slightly above the price level (300, 400 and cedar-topped 500 series) but with the introduction of the GS and the revamping of the entire line I've reconsidered that opinion. Now if I were to go for a good budgetary A/E guitar I think I'd look at the Taylor 200 series (particularly the 214E) , Breedlove Atlas series (the AC25/SR+) or the Larrivee 03 series (LV-03RE). Again, I know nothing about the quality of the electronics though. I've played each of the guitars named above fairly recently and based on the way they felt in my hands and sounded unplugged I thought that they'd do.

• Members

How does the Triax pickup improve the sound? The built-in pickup already has cooltube and tone controls. Is adding the Triax similar to adding a pedal (Chorus, for example)?

What is marketed as 'Cooltube' is a combination of the CTP1 Cooltube preamp and the inbuilt Takamine palathetic UST pickup. The preamp can be replaced with any other modern Japanese Takamine preamp, whereas the UST is pretty much permanently fixed to the guitar. The UST connects to the preamp with a standard RCA connector, so if you wanted to, the UST could be brought out and connected directly to your amp or an external preamp.

The Triax is just another pickup that you put in the sound hole. In fact, the Triax is an LR Baggs M1 active. The Cooltube preamp has an extra input that you connect the Triax to and a knob that controls the amount of the extra pickup that is blended in with the regular inbuilt UST.

The Cooltube's tube enrichening effect only affects the UST, which is then blended with the desired amount of clean Triax sound.

Soundwise, blending in the Triax adds a little smoothness to the overall mix. And depending on how you setup the pole pieces on the Triax/M1, you can adjust the mix between a jazzy/smooth and harmonically rich acoustic tone. Sometimes I run with 100% UST, but mostly I blend in about 20% Triax to take away some of the piezo 'edge'.

Unfortunately, the CTP1 doesn't allow you to blend 100% Triax. Even with the Cooltube knob turned all the way down, the UST is still audible. The least you can get is probably about 50% UST. This is my main quibble with this preamp, as sometimes it would be nice to dial in 100% Triax. Don't let this put you off, as the inbuilt UST piezo still sounds great. :thu:

• Members

I don't have a tak with the cool-tube pre-amp, but I've got an FD-360sc. It's not made anymore, but it's a made in japan model, solid spruce top, rosewood back and sides, and their AD-1 acoustic digital dsp electronics. I bought it in '00 or '01 - I think it's a 2000 model.

The quality of the guitar is as good as I've played - up there with top taylor's, martin's, etc. The acoustic tone is very clear and balanced. It's bright due to the woods used, and it sounds great to me. Plays very well, too. Plugged in it sounds great to my ears.

Sorry, this is more an account of the quality/playability/unplugged nature of my takamine, but I'll vouch for them being great instruments. I don't have much experience with their lower-end lines or one with a cool tube pre-amp.

• Members

My main acoustic right now is a Takamine. I bought it as a stage guitar, and it sounds great plugged in and good not plugged in. But Taks for the most part were designed for stage use (hence the tuner built in on the side - worth it's weight in gold on dark stages). I think all the cool tube models are well over $1000.00 new, though, and usually used too. For stage use and lots of strumming, they are great guitars.

• Members

Just a question: is this system put in their G series guitars or any other line that has a solid spruce top? The Naturals and Supernaturals have solid cedar tops which have a different tonal response than spruce.

The TAN16C (Supernatural) has a spruce top with rosewood b/s. The Nashville TNV340SC (mahogany b/s) and TNV360SC (rosewood b/s) are also spruce tops. If you're into other shapes, the TAN76 and TAN46 have spruce tops too.

AFAIK the Cooltube is exclusive to the MIJ Taks, but there is something in the MIJ serieses(:)) for everyone! :D

• Members

Call me crazy, I still fear that the cool tube system will catch my clothes on fire. Probably in revolt to my skepticism and sloppy playing.

This is true. Almost happened to me once, bit I've improved my playing and had no problems since. ;)

• Members

Question. Does dialing in the cool tube muddy up the strumming? Most of the videos show the cool tube dialed in for picking.

No muddyness is added.

Scroll to the bottom of this page, and have fun listening. Troy Casser Daley (playing his own signature model Takamine with a Cooltube) and Sara Storer (TNV340SC) both strum/sing. Michael Dolce (TAN16C) and Brett Kingman (TAN76C) both pick/strum.

:thu:

Archived