Ray LaMontagne's "Hold You In My Arms"

kwakatak

• Members

I saw a tab of this in some recent acoustic guitar magazine but can't remember which one. Does anybody remember?

Don't worry, I'm not gonna post a clip of me playing/singing it. I just like the song and would like to beat around with it. As for the vocals, I doubt I could pull it off without half a bottle of whiskey and 2 packs of cigarettes! :p

• Members

Hey why not? I'd like to see that!

Mainly because I once posted an mp3 of me playing/singing John Mayer's "Why Georgia" and I'm STILL feeling all icky about it! :freak:

My goal is to be able to write my own song with meaningful, heartfelt lyrics and then recording/posting it. So far what I've only written snippets here and there of stuff that makes ME feel sad so I doubt anyone else would enjoy it much.

• Members

Hey Neil, I think you'd be surprised at the response you get on YouTube. I think we are our own worst critics sometimes. I helped a fellow I met on another forum create and post his first video of the Stills song Treetop Flyer, a song he said wasn't any good and needed a lot of work. I felt the song was GREAT the way it stood and I offered to make him a video. So far he has (11) 5 star ratings (the highest) and many many views. VERY difficult to maintain 5 stars on YouTube (if even one person gives you less you will never get back to 5). Anyway he now has his own channel and is posting his own videos and we have become great friends. As for me, I still consider myself a hack but I have fun and the response has been great on YT. I'm surpirsed more folks from this forum don't look at my video posts and think "if this guy can do it, I can!" I would enjoy checking out others videos.

Cheers, Gil

• Members

That first Lamontagne record is one of the top 20 records of the last 10 years.

I was told that Ray pretty much did that album live solo acoustic in the studio. Producer Ethan Johns, just kinda built the rest alll around his work.

• Members

Hey Neil, I think you'd be surprised at the response you get on YouTube. I think we are our own worst critics sometimes. I helped a fellow I met on another forum create and post his first video of the Stills song Treetop Flyer, a song he said wasn't any good and needed a lot of work. I felt the song was GREAT the way it stood and I offered to make him a video. So far he has (11) 5 star ratings (the highest) and many many views. VERY difficult to maintain 5 stars on YouTube (if even one person gives you less you will never get back to 5). Anyway he now has his own channel and is posting his own videos and we have become great friends. As for me, I still consider myself a hack but I have fun and the response has been great on YT. I'm surpirsed more folks from this forum don't look at my video posts and think "if this guy can do it, I can!" I would enjoy checking out others videos.

Cheers, Gil

Well, truth be told but I can't really get into the whole Youtube or MySpace thing. Now I admit that I have a putfile page, but I kind of threw it together and never check on it. I just have it so that I can put the stuff out there so that the folks I correspond with regularly know what I'm up to and hopefully give me some advice so that I can improve. Lately I just haven't had the time - or the space - to set up all the equipment to lay down anything worthwhile.

Getting back on-topic, what I find inspiring about Ray LaMontagne is that he was just another everyday schmo (hey, according to spell check that's a word) who woke up one morning to inspiration, decided to work really hard at his craft and got the opportunity to get some international exposure. After reading a short biography on him I saw instead of succumbing to the angst in his life he turned it around and drew on all the bad luck, bad deals, heartbreak, whatever in his life and used it as a composing tool.

• Members

ray lamontagne brings the {censored}ing rock, nasty style. burn, jolene, all the wild horses (1st album), empty!!!!111, lesson learned and till the sun turns black the the cuts for the sluts that eor rocks so well.

for whatever reason, i prefer the folk/country stuff to the r&bishness.

love,

eor

but he doesn't play a lot of his songs live, for personal reasons. would still like to see him. got the live at bonaroo thing of itunes, and he has a new live thing up there, too. 5 song radio station gig.

Archived