Sing-along songs beside the pool!

Fireproof

• Members

So summer is upon us and it's a great chance to strum the git-fiddle beside the pool. My family prefers the sing-along songs, so I thought I'd ask you guys for some ideas on some good / basic sing-along songs to learn.

Anything old or new, country or rock. Lookin' for "fan favorites" (even if they are those that you are tired of playing but know the crowd likes to sing along). And obviously those that work well with just a single acoustic guitar!

:thu:

:badump:

• Members

You have a great family. Mine would flat refuse to do a sing-a-long with me. The closest we have ever gotten to that is Happy Birthday and that even seems to be self-consciously mumbled out loud. Pity. The last time I stopped them in mid song and had them all start over from the top but with spirit. That went over like a lead balloon.

• Members

You have a great family. Mine would flat refuse to do a sing-a-long with me. The closest we have ever gotten to that is Happy Birthday and that even seems to be self-consciously mumbled out loud. Pity. The last time I stopped them in mid song and had them all start over from the top but with spirit. That went over like a lead balloon.

Your family sounds like mine. My family is downright sick of music with me. Perhaps they're not so sick of the music as they are of me practicing. They don't understand why sometimes I can't play a song all the way through. I have to work out some kinks. My family can't handle me working out kinks.

Ellen

• Members

OTOH, my friends are completely different. We go to my friend Anna's house on the weekends and sing hymns. In parts. We have a couple of basses, three tenors, two altos, and everyone else sings the soprano line. And some of us play instruments.

This is, like, what we do for fun. On a road trip from Texas we sung hymns all the way home. Some people like to dance, some people go to parties. We sing hymns.

Anyway about the original point of this thread: "American Pie" by Don Mclean is a good one to know. Or "The General" by Dispatch. "Sweet Home Alabama" is a must-know for crowd pleasing sing-alongs.

Ellen

• Members

I sort of specialize in that whole "poolside bar" kind of setlist.

The really popular Buffett tunes go over well. You might also think about the overplayed to death "Brown Eyed Girl," as well as some others like "Another Saturday Night." Drifters/Four Tops type stuff goes over well. You might learn "Drift Away" as well.

• Members

Thanks for the discussion folks.

We have done:

- Margaritaville (must have summer tune, eh?)

- Sweet Home Alabama

- King of the Road (Roger Miller)

- Do Wacka Do (Roger Miller)

- some country songs that my dad knows.

I'll look into Brown Eyed Girl (knew it long ago) and Drift Away.

Keep the suggestions coming!! And Howie22 - if you have a full poolside bar setlist, I'd love for you to post it here for food-for-thought!

:cool:

• Members

Although it's not usually an acoustic tune, no pool party is complete without Rock Lobster, and it CAN be done acoustically! It's fun for the kids, because they can provide the sound effects.

• Members

Fireproof,

As for the poolside stuff, my setlist includes about 40 Buffett songs, so that's a big start right there. However, a lot of them are ambiguous stuff that only a real Buffett fan would know.

In your position, playing around a pool, here's more songs from my list that I might play. Some fit the "poolside" atmosphere, while others are just more singalong type songs.

Jamaica Farewell

Ramblin' Man

Another Saturday Night

Under the Boardwalk

Up On the Roof

Take It Easy

Tequila Sunrise

Same Old Song

Can't Help Myself

Drift Away

Five O Clock Somewhere

No Shoes, No Shirt, No Problems

GImme Three Steps

Keep Your Hands To Yourself

Amie

Dock of the Bay

Southern Cross

Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian

A couple of Jack Johnson tunes

Much like you, I'll be playing around a pool for family this Sunday, probably many of these songs. I was hoping to take my PA head and a small monitor or something just for a little volume, but my new PA Head is on backorder from Musician's Friend. Guess I'll just have to sing loud!

• Members

Uggg...I can never remember the lyrics to American Pie.

Wake Up Little Suzy

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

Hey Good Lookin

Peaceful Easy Feeling

Every Rose Has It's Thorn

Dead Or Alive

I'm A Believer

There's gotta be some good James Taylor Songs - How Sweet It Is ?

• Members

Now this is an interesting example of geographic and musical diversity.

Given our climate we don't really 'do' pools we 'do' puddles. Puddleside parties are not a Big Thing. What we do have are parties, at some of which drink will be taken (as they say here) and others at which it won't. The common thread is that music will break out at both types.

We seem to have an entire repertoire of sungs which people who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket can join in with great gusto, and do little damage.

O.K. sometimes Brown Eyed Girl gets butchered, but that's only 'cos Wee Ivan is from here and we get sentimental.

I'm thinking of things like 'Wild Rover', 'Black Velvet Band','I'll Tell Me Ma','Leavin' Of Liverpool','Thirty Foot Trailer','Will Ye Go Lasie, Go?'

and various others reflectant of attendees and the level of drink in and sense out

The tunes are simple, the choruses rousing and memorable -- and you can sneak some cool stuff in when they're not looking.

or there is always Buddy Holly...;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

John Denver- Rocky Mountain High, This Old Guitar, Summer, Today, Annie's Song, Calypso, For Baby, Looking for Space, Farewell Andromeda, Singing Skies and Dancing Waters

Paul Simon- Punky's Dilemma, Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes, Baby Driver

Cat Stevens- Oh very young, Moonshadow, Peace Train

Harry Chapin- If mary were here, Mr. Tanner, Flowers are Red

Kingston Trio- Where have all the flowers gone

PP&M- If I had a Hammer, Puff, etc...

Neil Diamond- Cherry Cherry, Holly Holy

• Members

This is, like, what we do for fun. On a road trip from Texas we sung hymns all the way home. Some people like to dance, some people go to parties. We sing hymns.

I am not into hymns--but I think that is very cool. What a great way to work on harmonies!

• Members

Now this is an interesting example of geographic and musical diversity.

Given our climate we don't really 'do' pools we 'do' puddles. Puddleside parties are not a Big Thing. What we do have are parties, at some of which drink will be taken (as they say here) and others at which it won't. The common thread is that music will break out at both types.

We seem to have an entire repertoire of sungs which people who couldn't carry a tune in a bucket can join in with great gusto, and do little damage.

O.K. sometimes Brown Eyed Girl gets butchered, but that's only 'cos Wee Ivan is from here and we get sentimental.

I'm thinking of things like 'Wild Rover', 'Black Velvet Band','I'll Tell Me Ma','Leavin' Of Liverpool','Thirty Foot Trailer','Will Ye Go Lasie, Go?'

and various others reflectant of attendees and the level of drink in and sense out

The tunes are simple, the choruses rousing and memorable -- and you can sneak some cool stuff in when they're not looking.

or there is always Buddy Holly...
;)

ROFLMAO

Archived