Kinda OT - found an old college buddy with a pretty good gig

kwakatak

• Members

I've been sitting here on my couch a lot lately and wondering whatever happened to some of the folks I used to know. Well, I went and found that an old college buddy and jamming partner is doing rather well.

I tell ya, the boy had chops back in the day - as well as an obsession for gear - and it seems like he's honed his craft since then! He also had a single-minded determination to accomplish everything he ever put his mind to. You know the type: your typical always-on Type A personality. In other words, my complete opposite. This ain't strictly OT since he's playing a Taylor acoustic/electric here:

... and to think that I turned down his offer to play in his old band when I lived out there in Philly! *kicks self* :o

BTW - he does jazz improv stuff now but back in the day (early-mid '90s) he and I used to do a lot of classic rock stuff. Judging by this youtube vid, he holds his own pretty well solo! (note: heavy effect usage)

• Members

Dug the Who cover. Nice job.

Kinda depressing to see how empty the room is.

Yeah, it does look like he's stuck in the back somewhere but from what I can tell it may be a lunchtime gig. The sirens at the end of the one clip is kind of a giveaway. The crowd noise is pretty consistent with say your typical Starbucks or Borders gig as well. I figure ya gotta pay your dues. Even John Mayer played a few Borders gigs.

• Members
That guy is great. I love the fact that he is using a pick.

The Who cover rocked. It makes me want to guy buy a looper and an amp......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlD_oj_U4mU&mode=related&search=

The "Melt" tune sounds a lot like John Mayer....

Excellent stuff all around.

Yeah, his personality is very similar too but he's actually better than John Mayer IMO. I was actually thinking that it was similar to Dave Matthews though.

I'm seriously kicking myself right now for not staying in Philly and joining his old jam band. :(

• Members
Guy can play.
:thu:

I have a friend who can do all that without a looper. But he has multiple personality disorder.

We met in group therapy...

Jeez - I thought this was group therapy. This guy used to know me as "that angry guy with the thing on his eye" which is a long story. I've been on a steady diet of humble pie for the past few years which is why I've been on such good behavior.

Anyway, I emailed him last night and already got a reply. This is the first time we've talked in 11 years and I gotta tell ya it feels good to get back in touch.

Archived