Where do nuts and saddles come from?

tim Mcknight

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
by the by...got another Yamaga Dynamic this week with this as a nut.....

forsaletwo068.jpg

yup...it`s wood.

With a zero fret on that git, it doesn't much matter what the nut material is because its only purpose is to keep the strings lined up properly.

I haven't had much contact with acoustic guitars with zero frets, and I'm curious about them. And since this thread belongs to a pro...

Tim,
Do you have a take on zero frets?

Re. the bone, I still guess... I have no freakin' clue. Mastodon? But then it wouldn't be so white, would it?

• Members

Tim,

Do you have a take on zero frets?

I'm very interested to hear what Tim has to say about this. I always thought that zero frets were for cheap guitar makers that couldn't bother to shape the nut properly, but I've seen zero frets on many respected makers' instruments as of late.

And as far as the saddle goes, the only other things I could think of would be prehistoric beasts.

Ellen

• Members

Was just on eBay looking at saddles and saw water buffalo saddles, so I'll guess water buffalo.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Pack-of-Natural-Bone-Acoustic-Guitar-Saddles_W0QQitemZ170151051197QQihZ007QQcategoryZ101977QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do you ship the lard USPS or UPS? Might it get messy in transit? I'm in hot south Florida.

Scott O

• Members

Was just on eBay looking at saddles and saw water buffalo saddles, so I'll guess water buffalo.

Alright. Who's seen Veggietales here?

Everybody now... "Everybody's got a water buffalo, your's is fast but mine is slow. Oh where'd you get them, I don't know, but everybody's got a water buffalo ooooooooo"

Ellen

• Members

Everybody now... "Everybody's got a water buffalo, your's is fast but mine is slow. Oh where'd you get them, I don't know, but everybody's got a water buffalo ooooooooo"

Ellen

I've got six kids. I don't have a water buffalo... but I do have a baby kangaroo.

Scott O

• Members

Ellen

Oh yeah!!! I played that song for the kids at my church when I did the kids music several years ago!

• Members

I'm very interested to hear what Tim has to say about this. I always thought that zero frets were for cheap guitar makers that couldn't bother to shape the nut properly, but I've seen zero frets on many respected makers' instruments as of late.

And as far as the saddle goes, the only other things I could think of would be prehistoric beasts.

Ellen

these old Yamahas fall into the latter catagory, in their day they sold for a months wages...and my No.150 classical types for nearly 2 months salary...so not cheap by any means. Maybe Yamaha knew what knockwood knows...that because of the zero fret, nut material is less important. Not sure but i do know for a 50 year old guitar is has held up very well...and sounds sublime. Perhaps respected builders today are rediscovering old knowledge.

• Members

Is yours pink? Mine is blue!!! I'm just glad I have a daughter now so I can watch VeggieTales and not be considered a wierdo.

One time I took my water buffalo to the store and he got his head stuck in the door! Would you believe it? And then - I'm not making this up - he spilled some lima beans on the floor!

Ellen

• Members

One time I took my water buffalo to the store and he got his head stuck in the door! Would you believe it? And then - I'm not making this up - he spilled some lima beans on the floor!

Ellen

Hallucinagens. Very bad beasties. I had to leave Chicago because of that. You should be okay soon now that you're safely in school. Water Buffalo, indeed.

• Members

AugTPD, happy-man, wouldn't Cripes make a lovely Archibald Asparagus?

Ellen

Tonight I'll make anything you want if it'll get me past the root canal party in my jaw. Archibald Asparagus? If that's a drink I'll take two. I don't do veggies, though. That's not eating. It's grazing.

• Members

I know its a longshot, Tim, but I'm going to go out n a limb with this guess.

And it's just a guess.

I did take some anatomy classes quite a few years ago. I wish I still had those text books.

I can't be sure but the shape and size seems just about right.

Is it Rosie ODonnel?

Archived