Hard case or gig bag?

Amanda-Jane

• Members

So I'll be taking lessons in another town. I will have to pack up me and my new acoustic friend through rain and sleet and snow to get to my lessons.

Question is, what should I get- a gig bag or hard case for the weekly travel to the lessons?

I don't need to worry about at home, since I plan to keep it on a stand in a very safe place..

Keep in mind I do not have a $3000+ guitar that is sacred, but I will have an instrument that I want to treat properly.

What would you do?

• Members

FWIW, I live in the city and I walk to 90% of my gigs. So a gig bag type case is essential. But back when I lived in the suburbs, I was driving to my gigs so a hard case was better because it was more protected in the car.

If I were you, I'd decide whether or not I'm driving or walking to my lessons and make the decision based on that.

Ellen

• Members

I think you could probably get by with a gig bag, but you need to consider a few things.

First, what kind of gig bag? Some have absolutely no padding, some have a little, and some are very protective. For what you're doing, I would think a well-padded one would be best. I bought a non-padded one (for $13), and it's more or less a joke. One of my friends calls it a "guitar condom".

Second, how are you travelling to that town? In your car, subway, bus? Even a padded gig bag exposes your instrument to possible damage, but OTOH, shlepping a full-fledged hard case might be a bit much on the bus or subway.

You can get a pretty decent padded gig bag for about $50. OTOH, MF has decent hardshell cases (NOT chipboard) on sale through Tuesday for $39 with free shipping (but probably not to Canada). I just ordered one for my Yamaha.

• Members

I've never been a fan of gigbags since they offer zero protection against impact damage. All they do is protect the finish left on the splinters inside when the eventual collison with (you fill in the blank). You can get a decent hardshell case for not much more than a fancy gigbag from several internet dealers. ;)

Bud

• Members

I have ran over (partially) a Takamine in a very padded gig back after a show. The guitar was done.

My bandmate has ran completely over his electric in a hard shell case. No damage at all.

Whats the point? We really need to lay off the booze!! And a hardshell case is the way to go if your moving around alot.

• Members

With Winter coming I would be mostly concerned about the lack of decent humidity. Regardless of the type of carrying case you get, I would be mostly concerned at this point about keeping the guitar properly humidified. You mentioned leaving it on a stand when at home. My suggestion there would be to keep it in the case and purchase a Planet Waves in-case humidifier or use the sponge in the baggie trick. Very important.

And me, personally I hate gigbags. It is hardshell cases all the way.

Rt1:thu:

• Members

Another option might be one of the newer hybrid cases.

They are stiff like a hard case, but are mostly styrofoam so are very light. They offer a little more protection (I think) than a gigbag without adding much more weight.

Epiphone Masterbilts come with this kind of case, and I'd say that while they are very, very light, they're more like a hardshell case in terms of portability. They're cool cases, but very difficult to walk from Boston to Cambridge with (speaking from experience :D).

And if you're going to be running over your case with a car, I don't think the hybrid-type cases will hold up.

Ellen

• Members

Epiphone Masterbilts come with this kind of case, and I'd say that while they are very, very light, they're more like a hardshell case in terms of portability. They're cool cases, but very difficult to walk from Boston to Cambridge with (speaking from experience
:D
).

And if you're going to be running over your case with a car, I don't think the hybrid-type cases will hold up.

Ellen

I agree. Gigbags take up less room. The nice gigbags protect your guitar well if you are careful with them. I use a gigbag when camping. Space is at a premium in my vehicle with a wife and 3 kids. I've been using gigbags for years with no problems.

My Larrivee is in a hardshell case. I am positive my car would destroy it. ;)

• Members

I have a dog- but she isn't allowed in the music room by herself- I have piano- keyboard and saxophone in there

and the house is hardly ever if ever dry.

There is alot of wood in my house- real hardwood floors throughout- big wood doors, thick 6 inch baseboards- stairs- railings- etc

We actually have our house set for 45% humidity cause it plays havic on doorways etc if we loose control- something we learned when we moved in a few years ago.

I'll be driving myself to the lessons- no buses available in the area and the nearest subway is better than an hour away,,

• Members

Maybe Jim will be around with a pic of his gig bag/case his Alvarez came in, it appears to be sturdyer than your run of the mill bag. However I prefer hard-shell cases, but everyone once in a while for convenience/space, I'll switch over to a gig bag. With the exception of my Guilds, there too darn heavy, putting one of those in a gig bag would be like trying to carry a guitar in a wet sack.

Trina

• Members

Be aware that an improperly fitted hard shell case can damage your guitar. My Yamaha was stored in a slightly over-sized chipboard case. It has scuffs in the finish from sliding around in the case.

Amanda,

45% humidity is perfect for guitars.

:thu:

• Members

When inexpensive hardshells (5 ply, $50.00USD) are available at the same cost as a wowy-zowy gig bag, the choice should be obvious. ....

... unless you want a gig bag. No need to be snotty about your opinion. Sometimes I much prefer a gig bag. It's a bazillion times easier to trek around with. If I'm going to pile a bunch of stuff in a vehicle I want a hard shell. I agree with Ellen, it depends on where and how you're transporting the guitar.

I don't have any high end guitars. Obviously that is another factor. If I paid several thousand for a guitar I'd have it in a hardshell case.

Scott O

• Members

Be aware that an improperly fitted hard shell case can damage your guitar. My Yamaha was stored in a slightly over-sized chipboard case. It has scuffs in the finish from sliding around in the case.

Amanda,

45% humidity is perfect for guitars.

:thu:

Maybe a dumb question.. but do you take your guitar to the shop to get a hard case?.. or how do you know that it is fitted properly.

I would be willing to invest in a proper case- I guess hardshell would be safest all around- but then the gig bag would be lighter and easier so it seems..hmmmm?

Maybe you eventually have both, and use each in the situation that calls for it?.. or is that silly..

questions I ask myself..

what if I go somewhere, w/ gig bag in car and dog- and dog decides to jump into the back of the suv?... DANGER!!! but how often would that be?.. probably very rare to start.. but what if I am blessed and progress quickly- soon wanting to tote around my guitar and play at the park or farm or elsewhere... then the dog would be in the car..

When I think about my life- and the situations I will take my guitar through.. my only concern is a dog... ... ... ..... ...

hmmm....I'll have to price them out- shopping "instore" and then decide I guess... decisions decisions decisions...

• Members

Maybe a dumb question.. but do you take your guitar to the shop to get a hard case?.. or how do you know that it is fitted properly.

I would be willing to invest in a proper case- I guess hardshell would be safest all around- but then the gig bag would be lighter and easier so it seems..hmmmm?

Maybe you eventually have both, and use each in the situation that calls for it?.. or is that silly..

questions I ask myself..

what if I go somewhere, w/ gig bag in car and dog- and dog decides to jump into the back of the suv?... DANGER!!! but how often would that be?.. probably very rare to start.. but what if I am blessed and progress quickly- soon wanting to tote around my guitar and play at the park or farm or elsewhere... then the dog would be in the car..

When I think about my life- and the situations I will take my guitar through.. my only concern is a dog... ... ... ..... ...

hmmm....I'll have to price them out- shopping "instore" and then decide I guess... decisions decisions decisions...

You may want to buy a case from the same place that is selling you the guitar. That way you can "test fit" it before bringing it home. Otherwise, you will be taking your guitar home without a case or gigbag.

It's not a bad idea to have a hardshell case and a gigbag.

• Members

You might want to check out the hybrid rigid foam type mentioned, before deciding. I have nice hardshell cases, gig bags and a couple of the "durafoam" types. They are pretty light and closer to a hard case than a gig bag in terms of protection. I think they are adequate for all but the roughest of handling (excluding any kind of common carrier/airline transportaion).

It just dawned on me that the guitar you ordered appears to be neither a dread nor an OM in shape? That may make fitting a hard case a little tougher. :confused:

• Members

originally posted by Ellen:

FWIW, I live in the city and I walk to 90% of my gigs. So a gig bag type case is essential. But back when I lived in the suburbs, I was driving to my gigs so a hard case was better because it was more protected in the car.

If I were you, I'd decide whether or not I'm driving or walking to my lessons and make the decision based on that.

+1!

A gig bag is good because it's light but for a better protection a hard shell case is much better!

• Members

I am a huge fan of the Rigid foam Roadrunner case... also, many Guitar Center stores still have the Epiphone masterbilt cases around from when the guitars used to come with them... the sales people werent supposed to sell the guitars on thier own back then, but often times they would since people already had a case...

its kind of a long story, but the point of it is that for some reason GC gives a different sku number to the guitar and the case, so it seems to the moron employee that they can sell one or the other... bottom line, they often have these cases left over and just sitting around and they are nice!!!! The epi masterbilts no longer come with the cases and the GC employees are too lazy to notice that they could be selling the old cases so they will probably cut you a great deal.

sorry for the long story, bottom line... epi masterbilt case/gigbag good... cheap at many GCenters.

• Members

You might want to check out the hybrid rigid foam type mentioned, before deciding. I have nice hardshell cases, gig bags and a couple of the "durafoam" types. They are pretty light and closer to a hard case than a gig bag in terms of protection. I think they are adequate for all but the roughest of handling (excluding any kind of common carrier/airline transportaion).

It just dawned on me that the guitar you ordered appears to be neither a dread nor an OM in shape? That may make fitting a hard case a little tougher.
:confused:

oh joy...lol...a unique shape... how perfect for me. I know all about it already- curvy women have the same problem fitting the curves :lol:

• Members

If the guitar fits snugly, but you don't have to stand on it to go in, that's a good fit!

Not at all...a lot of use have hardshell cases for all of our instruments and one or two gig bags for when it's useful to travel lighter...

questions I ask myself..

Train your dog to "stay"...

Hope these suggestions were of some help. :)

Archived