Back from the LB Jam

kwakatak

• Members

and had a great time!

(NOTE: heavily edited for excessive ramblings)

Who'd have thought that:

- Cripes is every bit as level-headed in person as he seems here on the boards. His chops aren't too shabby either.

- I'd ever change my opinion on Taylor and Rainsong guitars, but I got to play some examples that were set up

- I'd ever play high-priced guitars, both vintage and custom-built by a number of different luthiers!

- I'd ever meet a nicer bunch of people who were so supportive and friendly, and the hospitality was truly above and beyond accommodating as to be outright selfless.

Jeez, there's so much running around in my head I can't begin to express how good a time I truly had!

• Members

(NOTE: heavily edited for excessive ramblings)

Did you happen to meet a fellow named Dennis with a bright red archtop? I'm having a guitar built by the same luthier that made his guitar.

Sounds like a great time. Honestly I'd love to hear the ramblings.

• Members

Man, this is why we need to have an HCAG Jam this summer.

Glad you had a great time, Kwak! Sounds awesome. Welcome back!

Ellen

That kind of died out almost as quick as it came up. There didn't seem to be much interest in it. I'm still up for planning a jam if people want to have one.

I agree that it would be a lot of fun but it would be no where near as big or professional as the LB Jam. Maybe a bunch of us should hit the LB Jam next year. :D

• Members

Did you happen to meet a fellow named Dennis with a bright red archtop? I'm having a guitar built by the same luthier that made his guitar.

Sounds like a great time. Honestly I'd love to hear the ramblings.

Seriously, it's a jumble of images/sound bytes. Hooking up with Cripes didn't go as easily as I'd intended, but we made it from the airport to the jam via the hotel in under an hour.

For those of you who have been here since before MF took over HC or are familiar with the APM forum, the jam is held by LittleBrother at his home outside of Atlanta. This was the fifth year and after watching the video from 2003 I could tell that it was something that was special and even newbies like myself were welcome.

LB and many others used to frequent HC but moved on long ago and started a forum over at APM. During that time the two forums have diverged in many ways and very few of us frequent both. APM is a close-knit group whereas HC has always been sort of like a public pool. I was kind of surprised that Cripes had decided to attend but I'm glad that another HC'er went along just so I could wander "off topic" every so often. It turned out that my trepidation was unfounded as everyone I talked to were quite friendly and accommodating.

Still, being that I'm for all intents and purposes a homemaker with two small children who don't make for good conversation I required some time to adjust to my surroundings. That process began as soon as I unsealed my OM-03R that I had shipped a week prior via UPS. I soon felt more in my element and began to "click" with many of the others there. I must admit that I also found it hard to match some of the unfamiliar faces and voices/accents to the familiar monickers and writing styles.

After that initial warmup period I got to watch or talk to and trade licks with a lot of really talented people. MikeO wowed several of us with his technique on a few Don Ross covers and hosted a workshop early Saturday. I also got to sit down with SurrealMcCoy and trade Tommy Emmanuel licks but by and large he blew me away with a rendition of TE's Blue Moon on a well-worn 1951 Gibson. Then there was this English chap named Pete who could play the most amazing stuff off the top of his head on his little Rainsong parlor with a composite top that sounded like a much bigger guitar in his hands. Last but not least was our own Cripes who mostly listened but late Friday night after he and I had returned to the hotel he grabbed my OM-03R and did a subdued but mighty clean rendition of Classical Gas.

There was an open mic both nights and they both went well past midnight. Friday was good but more of a rehearsal for the main event on Saturday night. LB & Friends dominated on Friday whereas on Saturday IMO the high point was a regular attendee from Scotland who performed various Beatles songs adorned in a kilt and a "spiron"(sp?). While up there by himself he played Blackbird and ad-libbed a little with some birdsong and appropriate lyrics when somebody's small dog started yapping away inside the house behind him. Later he joined a pair of Taylor-toting cousins from Little Rock, AR in renditions of "Rocky Raccoon" and "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner". One of them played a little joke and borrowed a skirt and purse beforehand from LB's wife and put it on in homage of the kilt and spiron(sp?), which brought about the traditional debate about "what's worn underneath a kilt" to which the resident Scot replied in his highland brogue "nothing's worn, it's all in perfect working order!"

I figured "what the hell" and put my name down to perform both nights as well. Little did I realize that it would go late and I was last to play on Friday. Instead of focusing on instrumental stuff I chose to strum/sing some songs that IMO were probably too sullen for the jam's usually upbeat atmosphere. I also attempted to play TE's Angelina but yet again my fingers froze up 2/3 of the way through it. On Saturday I had the presence of mind to put my name in for an earlier slot and did more sullen and spiritual strumming/singing pieces. I got some good feedback both nights but I came away from the experience with the realization that I need to vary the mood in my performances more as well as get a pickup installed in my guitar.

That's about all I can think of at present in my current sleep-deprived state. I returned home to find that the baby had come down with croop while I was away and was up every 2 hours last night. That being said, I'll be turning in soon as soon as I address one or two other threads here and elsewhere while my mind is still fresh on their topics.

• Members
I also got to sit down with SurrealMcCoy and trade Tommy Emmanuel licks but by and large he blew me away with a rendition of TE's Blue Moon on a well-worn 1951 Gibson.

I can see by this statement that Neil has a very unique sense of humor.....:lol:

What really happened.....was that I sat down with Neil to proudly display my 2+ years of working on TE's "The Man With A Green Thumb"......when Neil blew me out of the water by playing the opening verse almost exactly like TE phrases!!!!:eek:

It was such a pleasure to finally meet Neil in person after all these years of talking only online. In addition.....meeting and spending some time with Cripes was an equal pleasure I'm glad I was allowed to share!
This was my 4th year in making the journey from CA to GA......and I really hope to meet up with you guys again next year......when you guys were leaving and I said you're "the best".......I mean't it! :)

• Members

I can see by this statement that Neil has a very unique sense of humor.....
:lol:

What really happened.....was that I sat down with Neil to proudly display my 2+ years of working on TE's "The Man With A Green Thumb"......when Neil blew me out of the water by playing the opening verse almost exactly like TE phrases!!!!
:eek:

It was such a pleasure to finally meet Neil in person after all these years of talking only online. In addition.....meeting and spending some time with Cripes was an equal pleasure I'm glad I was allowed to share!

This was my 4th year in making the journey from CA to GA......and I really hope to meet up with you guys again next year......when you guys were leaving and I said you're "the best".......I mean't it!
:)

Old Neil is too humble for his own good. ;) Cripes is a great guy too. I think they represent the "new attitude" Harmony Central AG forum well. I know this place was in bad shape when LB and company left.

It's nice to know it took you 2+ years to learn TE's "The Man With A Green Thumb". I'm sure it would take me much longer than that. :freak: TE's music is amazing. I need to commit myself to learning some of his material. I tend to be a bit lazy learning complex fingerstyle material.

It sounds like you guys had a great time at LB's Jam. :thu:

• Members
I can see by this statement that Neil has a very unique sense of humor.....
:lol:

Surreal, It was Great seeing you again!!!
Neil, it was Great meeting you after all this time, around on all the Forums
and "YES" there is only about 358 mo Days to go....:thu:

• Members

Wow - what the heck just happened? Who else is lurking here? :cop:

Surreal, you have nothing to be ashamed of. It took me 2 years to get that far into the song as well. I guess the grass is just greener, as they say. I have the hardest time remembering all the chords and even getting the rhythm down took hard work.

SteveO - what can I say? Thanks for making me feel welcome. Just be careful what you click on around here though! ;)

I'd definitely be up for another trip next year. I just have to make sure that the rest of my family is fine with it first. I don't want anybody here at home to feel abandoned and/or neglected.

BTW, Hudman - you just need to start off with the right TE song to get your feet wet. For me that song was "Questions" - I just skipped the section sweeping artificial harmonics and focused on the melody.

• Members

sounds like a fine time & I'm wishing I was there now.

Hud, if you're looking for fingerstyle inspiration, look no further than this Saturday in Ferndale, MI.

Pat Donohue in Concert & Workshop

On Saturday, October 27th, Pat Donohue will perform at 7:30 p.m. with doors opening at 6:30 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church which is located at 22331 Woodward Avenue in Ferndale 3 blocks south of 9 mile on West side of Woodward. Tickets are available at the door for $15, Seniors/Students $10 or can be purchased online at spaces.fingerstyle.org . For more information call the MFGS office at 248 - 646 - 4030.

In addition, on Saturday afternoon Pat will be conducting a hands - on workshop from 3:00pm (sharp) - 5:00pm. Space is limited, advanced reservation is required. The Michigan Fingerstyle Guitar Society presents its workshop series in a non - competitive environment and welcomes guitarists of all skill levels. Students can register or request information by contacting the MFGS office at 248 - 646 - 4030. Cost is $40.

From swing to jazz to bottleneck blues to folk, Grammy - winning acoustic guitarist Pat Donohue plays it all with a flourish of artistry and melodic inspiration. Chet Atkins called Pat one of the greatest finger pickers in the world today; Leo Kottke called his playing "haunting."

Pat is certainly one of the most listened to finger pickers in the world. As the guitarist for the Guys All - Star Shoe Band of Minnesota Public Radio's A Prairie Home Companion, Pat gets to show off his savvy licks and distinctive original songs to millions of listeners each week.

• Members

So, I typed in little brothers jam and found his jam website. No pictures from this year but there was a great gallery from last year. And LB adds at the bottom of each picture a narrative.

What a fun time there. It would be intimidating, though. Reading what LB wrote, you realize that some of the guys are working musicians, who make incredible improvements in their playing year over year. What I liked in the pictures was that a lot of the guys were playing with flatpicks and not fingerpicking.

I've got to get out more and hear some really good amatuer guitarists who play with a flatpick. Not pros, but just really good acoustic, flatpicking, all around good players. Guys who have put in years on each song. I can make claim to Garcia's stuff that I have put years into, but it would be nice to see some incredible playing from just normal people who have learned hardly known songs, and have made them their own.

Can any of you share on the workshop aspects of LB's place? Funny how he mentions things that you need to bring and pencil and paper is right up there on the list so that you can go home with a few new things to try.

What a great gig? So, what's Carle like, the guy who shows up on Tuesday and helps get things together? He looks like he'd be cool to listen to. Really neat being able to see faces and match them up to the names here.

I just may go over and join AGF after seeing all of this.

• Members

So, what's Carle like, the guy who shows up on Tuesday and helps get things together? He looks like he'd be cool to listen to. I just may go over and join AGF after seeing all of this.

Carle is about as laid back as they come. He is a kind soul who just loves to be helpful in any way that he can while humbly remaining in the shadows. He is a gem!

Kwak, it was great to finally meet you in person. We just caught the end of your open mic and were quite impressed with your chops! Mary and I both are already looking forward to next year. How many more days left Steve-O?

• Members

Carle is about as laid back as they come. He is a kind soul who just loves to be helpful in any way that he can while humbly remaining in the shadows. He is a gem!

Kwak, it was great to finally meet you in person. We just caught the end of your open mic and were quite impressed with your chops! Mary and I both are already looking forward to next year. How many more days left Steve-O?

Good to hear from you, Tim. You're too kind. I was feeling mighty cold up there. I do hope to make it out there again. I came away from it feeling happy yet also wanting to have done more. There were LOTS of talented people there who I wished I could have jammed with a bit more.

• Members

Carle does not use GAS....He uses what he calls Girl Scout Water
known to man as Diesel :lol:

Tim, that would be 357 mo

Ah, Yes the Clinics!!!
lets see last year was a Celtic clinic put on by none other than Cams-the Scotsman and Web Master of
http://www.celticguitartalk.com
moderated by Orsino

LittleBrother did a Blues Clinic

This Year LittleBrother did a Slide Clinic
and I can't remember but someone did another clinic.....But I was too Busy Jam'n in the Garage with a bunch of Pickers....
Their is always Fingerpicking and FlatPicking going on at the Jams...
Their is/are also players from beginners to professional players, so it is a wide range of things going on at any one moment......

To say the least it is an experience of a life time...I've made 3 out of 5 Jams
and the only reason I missed the other 2 is because of Hospitalization during those times..
I do plan on being at the next one the Good Lord willing...

Archived