HGAC Album project

Freeman Keller

• Members

Hi, Everybody

I'm new to this forum, so would somebody please tell me about the album project? Are all of you making an album of your original music, or ???

Thanks,

Samilyn

Some time ago I think it was Jasmine Tea who came up with the idea of HCAG forum members contributing works to create an album. There used to be a longer Sticky about it but it has been replaced by this one.

Originals or covers, as long as the original artists are credited and the song/instrumental is acoustic. Another member was collecting the various contributions to mix down into the album. He suddenly went A.O.L.. for very good reasons of his own, but hasn't contacted anyone about his role in the album. Time has come and gone for completing the thing so Freeman Keller volunteered to collect the contributions and have it mixed down himself. Problem is, many who contributed their stuff already do not have back-up copies and would have to re-do them. So, the album has stalled. Members are currently trying to contact the member who has all the cuts and get him to send them to Freeman Keller.

At this point I'm not sure what is going to happen.

Edit: Actually, I'm not sure if the contributions have to be just acoustic. I think it's open bar on that.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Some time ago I think it was Jasmine Tea who came up with the idea of HCAG forum members contributing works to create an album. There used to be a longer Sticky about it but it has been replaced by this one.

Originals or covers, as long as the original artists are credited and the song/instrumental is acoustic. Another member was collecting the various contributions to mix down into the album. He suddenly went A.O.L.. for very good reasons of his own, but hasn't contacted anyone about his role in the album. Time has come and gone for completing the thing so Freeman Keller volunteered to collect the contributions and have it mixed down himself. Problem is, many who contributed their stuff already do not have back-up copies and would have to re-do them. So, the album has stalled. Members are currently trying to contact the member who has all the cuts and get him to send them to Freeman Keller.

At this point I'm not sure what is going to happen.

Thanks, Cripes.

I'd seen the reference in Freeman's post to the other sticky and had looked for it, but it's obviously been removed.

It sounds like a wonderful project and I hope it all comes back together again.

Cheers & beers.

• Members

First I've heard of this and I would like to contribute if you think any of my original songs are worthy. I just put together a 10 song CD of originals for a radio station and can send you a copy of that.

Cheers, Gil

Gil, I have enjoyed your clips posted here and would certainly like to include you on the album. The "rules" as I recall them were that any regular poster (and you sure fit that) can submit two songs. They can be originals or covers - we are going to assume that by not selling this thing we can't be sued for copyrights. For the liner I would like your HCAG handle, real name if you want (so people can seach you out and buy all your music), and because we are guitar nuts, any info on your axe, tuning, yadda yadda. If you do a cover it should credit the songwriter.

You could either send me a copy of that cd (identify the two songs you want on the project) or just those two songs. My snail mail addy is in the first post.

When I get done with all of this and have the actual costs I'll post that - all I want is to be reimbursed the cost of the cd and shipping. But for right now lets get everyone's music so I can keep moving.

• Members

OK, on this project, are you looking for tracks or complete songs that are ready for master?

Complete songs ready to go. I really have no idea what I'm doing here so make it easy on me - one of my technicians has a pretty nice home studio and offered to help me put this together - but all we want to do is get the levels pretty much the same on each track and send a disc off to be copied.

I figure when it is all over I'll know a whole lot more.... (and I'll have to give my tech a raise)

• Members

Complete songs ready to go. I really have no idea what I'm doing here so make it easy on me - one of my technicians has a pretty nice home studio and offered to help me put this together - but all we want to do is get the levels pretty much the same on each track and send a disc off to be copied.

I figure when it is all over I'll know a whole lot more.... (and I'll have to give my tech a raise)

'K, I have one or two I'll send your way. Hope they're acceptable.

I originally had the impression this was going to be a collaboration with various tracks being sent back and forth to come up with a final mix.

• Members

OK, on this project, are you looking for tracks or complete songs that are ready for master?

I like the "anything goes" approach. You're songs don't have to be ready for "production" and "mastering", whatever you have is good enough. Rough, clean, multi-track, one-track, whatever.

It does'nt have to be "acoustic guitar" either. Be free.

I would'nt want anyone to feel like there's some sort of benchmark they have to live up to.

FK, I'm hoping your tech friend is able to deal with any kind of format. Not all of us can send a disc or some sort of digital info. I'd sent mine on a disc to Cldply, but if I send another track to you it will likely be on cassette tape. BTW, I meant no harm with the Cldplytkmn Scandal thread. Was just thinking it would save us all some trouble if we could get those recs moving.

• Members

I was looking over the stuff I submitted to Clip and thought to myself "Gawd, this stuff is old!"

I'm hoping to make some time to record some more recent cover stuff from my repertoire and hopefully even another original with vocals too. Like I've said before, I'm not enough of a poet to write decent lyrics. I'm more of the narrative type of writer, but I have a couple of stories that could use a conversion from prose to poetry. I'd appreciate any help any of you regulars could provide if you wouldn't mind.

• Members

I was looking over the stuff I submitted to Clip and thought to myself "Gawd, this stuff is
old
!"

I'm hoping to make some time to record some more recent cover stuff from my repertoire and hopefully even another original with vocals too. Like I've said before, I'm not enough of a poet to write decent lyrics. I'm more of the narrative type of writer, but I have a couple of stories that could use a conversion from prose to poetry. I'd appreciate any help any of you regulars could provide if you wouldn't mind.

Really don't know enough about song-writing to offer much. I write a poem using the old meter/rhyme style. Pretty boring, actually. I've never read anything on the subject but, to me, there are 2 things that get a song going and they are: Inspiration and Idea. Inspiration is pretty much always there for me but an idea for a song, i.e. subject matter to explore, is not. When I do get one I usually render it into a short story and it unfolds very quickly.

I have done a few not-so-direct songs where the lyrics are vaguely telling, like Coldplay's Clocks, and they are actually quite fun to do. Clocks is really a reverse sort of song where the lyrics and instrumental trade places, i.e. the instrument becomes the more interesting of the two. The lyrics merely loosely apply a single-sentence thought in a few telling words/phrases that lasts the entire song. Great idea, though, if you are strong into instrumental imagery.

• Members

I was looking over the stuff I submitted to Clip and thought to myself "Gawd, this stuff is
old
!"

The most liberating thing I ever heard re: writing came from Ernest Hemingway: "The first draft of anything is sh*t."

With that in mind, just write anything. Then you will have a structure which you can revise. A helpful tool for rhyming is Rhymezone:

http://www.rhymezone.com/

Just write what you feel, then revise it and voila you have your song.

Anyway, this works for me. YMMV.

• Members

FK, I'm hoping your tech friend is able to deal with any kind of format. Not all of us can send a disc or some sort of digital info. I'd sent mine on a disc to Cldply, but if I send another track to you it will likely be on cassette tape. BTW, I meant no harm with the Cldplytkmn Scandal thread. Was just thinking it would save us all some trouble if we could get those recs moving.

He can do that. I would have to take my cassette deck to his studio but he says it would plug into the analog card on his PC and he can capture it. So send me your eight tracks, cassettes, reel to reel, vinyl - we can digitize them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have to admit that I've been procrastinating, but I'm still not happy with my previous submissions to Clip and that song I've been working on is still frustrating me. I'm thinking that I'm gonna look through my old raw recordings and pick two different tracks to submit.

• Members

I have to admit that I've been procrastinating, but I'm still not happy with my previous submissions to Clip and that song I've been working on is still frustrating me. I'm thinking that I'm gonna look through my old raw recordings and pick two different tracks to submit.

No rush Neil. I'm just curious if folks are endeavoring to endeavor. I got mine off to Freeman last week or so and he acknowledged receipt.

• Members

Okay, has anyone sent Freeman their stuff since this thread got started? Where are we now with this thing?

I have received Baba's, Ellen's and Cripe's (and have been enjoying listening to them as I work). What happened to the rest of you? I'm beginning to believe that none of you play guitar and all should be on the Posers Forum.

Archived