Completely new- advice please

Amanda-Jane

• Members

A lot of good advice has been thrown around. I would only add that many first time guitar buyers are seduced by fancy finishes and other cosmetic stuff. Trust me, a really plain guitar that is well made of quality solid wood will make you happier in the long run. By the way, since you are going to a Cort dealer, I did own a Cort dread that was a very nice guitar.

Oh yeah, it is a rule here to post pictures whenever you do buy something!!!

• Members

I FOUND MY GUITAR!

I went out today and looked at a bunch of guitars.. a whole bunch!! several different shops.
I kept on coming back to the same one.

I looked at folk style guitars.. they seemed a bit small.. and dreadnoughts.. they seemed big-ish... I couldn't decide and they were all beautiful..

Then I came across a cute folk guitar... I love it! My friend played it for me... it sounds SOOO NICE- sweet and warm..

The best part- its small like a folk but the very bottom is bigger- almost as wide as a dreadnought style.. so its like the best of both for me- fits me perfect.

Drawback- it is acoustic electric- don't want that- so I'm getting ordered a pure acoustic of the model. I am not obligated to buy it- I went to an old freinds guitar shop, where he is ordering it for me. If I like it as much as the electric one- I'll buy it up. If it isn't want I hoped for, I am not obligated to buy it... but my gut says I'll buy it. Plus I am going to get it at cost.. so its a bargin for me!.. ( I love old friends)

This is the one. I'm not buying from here- its just a pic of the model.
http://www.guitarbitz.com/popuplargeimage.asp?strImage=1862.jpg&strImageType=version&strPageTitle=Tanglewood%20TW170AS%20Folk%20Guitar
Description:
Western Guitar

Solid spruce top

Solid Mahogany back

All mahogany bonded sides

One piece neck

Maple bound body & fingerboard

Green Abalone inlaid position markers

Kluson style machine heads with Butterbean buttons

Glossy Finish

First guitar- think I'm going to be very happy with it. I am already happy..lol

• Members

Wow! :love: Very nice guitar. I tried out a couple of Tanglewoods before I bought the Taylor. They are a really nice guitar and if they had the model you want I might have been tempted but all they had where dreads and jumbos. Nothing like the one you are getting. Congrats and a very good choice for a beginner to learn on. :thu:

• Members

That's a sweet looking guitar:thu:. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I can feel your excitement. Now I wish I had one.

Good luck with the lessons and take it one step at a time. Guitar playing is an exiting, satisfying challenge and a life long learning experience.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know the nut width and scale of this guitar? Went to the website but it doesn't specify.

• Members

Nice choice. And it was very smart of you to go with the acoustic only version. Gives you the choice of what pickup you want to put in it if you choose to go plugged in later.

Be sure to update us on how you like it when it arrives!!!!

• Members

Nice choice. And it was very smart of you to go with the acoustic only version. Gives you the choice of what pickup you want to put in it if you choose to go plugged in later.

Agreed! You bought a great guitar and totally went about it the right way. Keep us posted!

Ellen

• Members

Good Job:

That'll keep you busy for quite awhile. Sounds nicely balanced too. Now you can get involved in the twice aweek debate on bone vs plastic nuts and bridge pins. Welcome to the madness.

...and strings, don't forget strings!

• Members

Congratulations, a very nice looking guitar. I've played a few Tanglewood guitars (they are very popular in the UK) and they have all played and sounded good.

I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment (and, despite what other forumites may say, if you want to put 10 gauge strings on it, go ahead!).

• Members

That's a sweet looking guitar:thu:. I'm sure you'll be happy with it. I can feel your excitement. Now I wish I had one.

Good luck with the lessons and take it one step at a time. Guitar playing is an exiting, satisfying challenge and a life long learning experience.

Just out of curiosity, anyone know the nut width and scale of this guitar? Went to the website but it doesn't specify.

I'll find out and let you know. I don't expect to have it for a couple weeks... way to long of a wait

• Members

!!!!!!!!!!THIS IS THE WEEK!!!!!!!

I am sooooo excited. My guitar should be here early this week.. hopefully today, if not, definitely tomorrow... and then sometime, it will be "set up" and then I can go pick it up :)... woot woot!!

Because of my schedule, if I don't here from the shop by 11am each day, I will have to wait until the next day to go get it.

Next Monday is my first lesson :)... I have cut off my fingernails :(
First day was friday, they were sensitive already just cause the tips never touch anything. I have been tapping my fingertips to desensize them somewhat.. scratching at them etc.

Can't wait!
Amanda

• Members
!!!!!!!!!!THIS IS THE WEEK!!!!!!!

I am sooooo excited. My guitar should be here early this week.. hopefully today, if not, definitely tomorrow... and then sometime, it will be "set up" and then I can go pick it up
:)
... woot woot!!

Because of my schedule, if I don't here from the shop by 11am each day, I will have to wait until the next day to go get it.

Next Monday is my first lesson
... I have cut off my fingernails
:(
First day was friday, they were sensitive already just cause the tips never touch anything. I have been tapping my fingertips to desensize them somewhat.. scratching at them etc.

Can't wait!

Amanda

Thats soooo :thu: awesome!!!

Don't worry about the painful fingertips when you first start lessons...soon the pain will go away and you will have nice tough callouses...now isn't THAT something to look foward to? :freak:

Please keep us posted on your lessons.

I am genuinely very happy for you Amanda and may you and your guitar have many happy years of playing ahead of you :)

Regards,

OGP

• Members
Thats soooo
:thu:
awesome!!!

Don't worry about the painful fingertips when you first start lessons...soon the pain will go away and you will have nice tough callouses...now isn't THAT something to look foward to?
:freak:

Please keep us posted on your lessons.

I am genuinely very happy for you Amanda and may you and your guitar have many happy years of playing ahead of you

Regards,

OGP

Yep, callouses are awesome! ;) They do beat not having them, for sure. Also, remember not to press on the strings with the fret hand any harder than is necessary to get a crisp sound. Pressing harder than necessary will create unnecessary pain even after the callouses develop.

Many congratulations on your new guit. Looking forward to your review of it.

Best,
Bill

• Members

Next Monday is my first lesson
... I have cut off my fingernails
:(

I wouldn't recommend scratching at your fingertips- sounds more painful than its worth.

And as a fellow female forumite- welcome to the world of having really short fingernails! I've been playing guitar since before I cared about having slightly longer nails to make nice-looking for formal events, but I must say it does get annoying from time to time.

I went to a formal event recently but chose not to get fake nails, just paint my current freakishly short nails. Most of the people at it knew that I play guitar and so they didn't really care.

Ellen

Archived