Completely new- advice please

Amanda-Jane

• Members

Hello,

I am new to the boards and have been looking around. This site looks great.

I am hoping some guitar players can help me out directing me to a guitar.:confused:

I realize I will have to go test some out to see how they "feel" etc.. but

I have never played guitar and I know nothing of the different details guitars have.

I plan to sign up for some lessons as soon as I get my guitar.

What I want:

-Acoustic, I don't think I have any need to "plug in" I won't be preforming for anyone other than myself, or around a camp fire

-I probably will play mostly country music, and or easy rock..

- $$ availabe $0.00 to $300.00

This guitar is the one that I am most attracted to just by the picture. Of course I have no idea how big it is etc, and it is an acoustic electric, and I don't need the electric part of it.

www.yamaha.ca/content/guitar/products/acousticelectricguitars/APX500/keyfeatures.jsp :love:

It doesnt matter to me what the brand it is really, especially since I am just going to learn. The pic of the Yamaha is just so you can have an idea of what my taste is.:blah:

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what to start looking at?

I hope to get some advice from some folks that arent trying to sell me something so I feel a step ahead when I get to the store.

Thanks for popping in and reading my post, and I appreciate any input you may have.

• Members

I'm not a huge fan of that series of Yamahas. For a total and utter newbie to guitar, this is what I usually recommend:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-F335-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=512940

...or if you're willing to go up in price a little:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FS700S-Folk-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=518274

Good luck and welcome to the forum! We can always use a few more chicks around here.

Ellen

• Members

Welcome to the forum!

Yamaha makes nice guitars in the $200 - $300 range.

The FG-720S is a great guitar for country and soft rock. It's a "dreadnought" shaped guitar with a solid spruce top. The solid top will help the guitar's tone to improve as it ages. It also comes in a similiar finish as the one you like. It's a great guitar for $279.00. I own an older version of it. I really like it. For the record, I've been hacking away playing guitar for over 20 years......

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG720S-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519168

Good luck! :thu:

• Members

Should I add that I am an adult musician- playing wind instruments..

looking for a challenge in learning to play the guitar.

Do you ever visit online classifieds..I'm an addict- this guitar is being offered for $300. Good deal?

1975 Yahama FG - 75 acoustic six string guitar.

• Members

Hi Amanda Jane and welcome. All Yamaha guitars are of good quality so it is really a matter of personal preference. When some-one asks me about buying a guitar I always advise them to go to a music shop and spend an hour or two playing different models. Although you are a complete beginner, I would advise you to do the same - just hold them, press down the odd string and strum or pluck a few notes - then buy the one that "feels" and "sounds" the best to you.

PS. Is that you in the photo?

• Members

Hello Amanda-Jane and welcome.

Typically, Yamaha guitars have a fairly hefty neck. If you have small hands the Yamaha might be a bit large for you and make it difficult to play. The FG75 was a good guitar and I've heard from an experienced few that it makes for a good blues guitar. I had some Yamaha guitars in the past and currently own one of their classicals. But there are other guitars that have smaller profile necks. Sooo...you really do need to go out and "get a grip" on various guitar necks to get an idea what best works for you. I had no idea there were different size necks when I started playing and bought a Yamaha because it was cheap. 20/20 hindsight still clearly in view, had I known there were different size necks available I would not have bought the Yamaha. One day I ventured out and played an Ovation and the neck on that guitar seemed half the size of my then Yamaha. Though the Ovation wasn't the best sounding guitar I could easily play/learn on it. Don't get me wrong, Yamaha makes good products but because their necks are what they are I would not recommend one to a new student. Find a guitar store and see for yourself.

• Members

Hi Amanda-Jane; Welcome to the forum.

Although I am a fan of Yamahas I wouldn't choose the 2 you have mentioned. The APX500 is electrified, is thinner (less volume w/o amplification), has a cutaway and is really not what you are looking for based on your initial description. The FG-75 was a great little guitar but they were made a long time ago and you would have to know what you were doing to be sure that it is playable and doesn't need a neck reset.

There are some good suggestions above. Ellen, Moctzal and Hud have all suggested other Yamahas. You should also check out Alvarez and Washburns. My Washburn has a very thin comfortable neck. Jim has written about how his Alvarez had a comfortable neck as well.

As stated above, the most important thing is to go to guitar shops and try out as many different types as you can. As long as you go with a guitar that feels right in your hands, and sounds good to you, you should be fine.

Please keep us posted.

• Members

I have heard about the smaller necks. This was one of the things that begun my intrest and excitement about playing..

I was talking with someone...bla bla bla

"I can barely reach the top string- I can't play the guitar".. bla bla bla

Then I heard you get the guitar that fits you best...:idea:lightbulb moment.

I live in a VERY small town, and work long hours. It will be a week before I can get to a shop... sigh. but I am excited about it.

In the mean time- I appreciate all the feed back. I realize that you are all probably asked the same question over and over. So thanks for your time

PS.. yes its me in the picture.

• Members

Hi Amada-Jane

Welcome to HCAG forum. Us ladies are outnumbered by the gents, but they're all a great bunch here. I've learned a lot since I joined this forum and I hope you will too.

First of all, forget the electronics on the guitar. Just get the best one that you can afford and do the electronic thing later after you know where you're going with your guitar music. Some folks like electronics, while others, like me, remain purely acoustic.

My recommendation would be to try out both Yamaha and Washburn. I'm partial to the Yammies, myself, but there are indeed some nice sounding, budget priced Washburns out there too.

Whichever one you choose, do invest in a good setup. It can make all the difference in the world. Believe me, your guitar and your fingertips will appreciate it!

Don't let the "dreadnought" size throw you. I'm a real pipsqueak and I play a dreadnought. Just get whichever one (1) sounds best and (2) which neck feels best in your hand, and (3) which feels most comfy to you overall.

Being a player of wind instruments, you probably already have great flexibility and coordination in your hands, so spanning the average guitar neck should not be a problem for you. You may have to build a little more strength to hold the strings down hard enough for a chord to sound "pure," but we all went through that. Just a part of learning, along with a bit of soreness until the fingertips toughen up. Again, this is where a good setup will make a huge difference.

And here's a thought: Perhaps another customer in the store would be willing to lend a hand with your selection. I once did that - asked a another shopper to play two gits so I could listen from a few feet away. The guy later said he was flattered that I'd asked him. In my experience, most experienced musicians are quite happy to help a newbie.

Best wishes for your new guitar adventure!

Samilyn

• Members

Another welcome, Amanda. And another idea - you say you plan to sign up for lessons when you get your new guitars - how about doing that first. Find an instructor (preferably one who plays the kind of music that you aspire to play) and ask her to go shopping with you. As she plays various guitars listen to both what the guitar is saying and to what your instructor is saying (her comments about feel and playability and sound). Several things will happen - you will get to hear it well played, which will give you the confidence that you too can make it sound like that. Your instructor will feel good about what you are bringing to your lessons - heck, she helped pick it out. You'll do a certain amount of bonding with the instructor. And I'll bet you will end up with a wonderful guitar.

Please let us know how the shopping goes and please become a regular contributor here. Some pretty remarkable folks of all playing abilities hang out here - we'd like you to join in.

• Members

Freeman,

That is a really good idea!..

I don't know how lucky I would be to get the teacher to come with me, as we would have to travel together- but I should seek the advice of the person who is going to teach me...duh! sometimes the simplest things are the hardest to see..

• Members

Usually by now there are lots of Seagull recommendations, but I guess the neck size is a negative here.

So let me recommend a Simon & Patrick Spruce Mahogany. I'll bet you can get one on e-bay from a good seller for a couple of hundred. I bought my son one for $200 and the sound is absolutely amazing. I had a Washburn D-12 and I wasn't thrilled, but I guess it's all personal. But the S&P knocks me out. And anyone will tell you Godin quality is unsurpassed, especially in the low to mid-priced models.

• Members

I played one of these one day at GC. It was a cherry burst (they call it violin burst) finish with rosewood laminate back and sides. Looked great and played and sounded decent.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-FG730S-Solid-Top-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=519049

It was only about $350 at GC.

If you move up a few hundred bucks, the door opens up a lot, especially if you look towards a used instrument. Used guitars are a great way to increase your buying power. I bought my Pavan TP-20 and Samick JZ-4 used, each for about 2/3 new price and both were/are in like new condition (except for the Samick which has about $200 in upgrades done to it so it's actually better than new condition).

Also, you might be interested in this site if you really like Acoustic Guitar. It's a bit Taylor centric but hey, that's what I own LOL.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/

Good luck!

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NVpQCP0goM

a demo of the D10S

I believe I am sold on this one. I have contacted a few dealers to go "see it" and hear it be played.. and checkout overall size etc etc.

I have inquired on retail price in store, I havent heard back yet, perhaps an online purchase will be the way to go- after I have seen it in my hands.

I don't live near .. anything really- ha ha- so it will be a week or so before I get a chance to go out and see it... sigh

What do you think?

Thanks so much for everyones input. I have only received postive feedback so far.

• Members

a demo of the D10S

I believe I am sold on this one. I have contacted a few dealers to go "see it" and hear it be played.. and checkout overall size etc etc.

I have inquired on retail price in store, I havent heard back yet, perhaps an online purchase will be the way to go- after I have seen it in my hands.

I don't live near .. anything really- ha ha- so it will be a week or so before I get a chance to go out and see it... sigh

What do you think?

Thanks so much for everyones input. I have only received postive feedback so far.

Keep in mind the demo was using a guitar that was a good sounding guitar, not necessarily one picked off the shelf. Understand too, there was very likely one hell of a lot of eq'ing going on as well.

Certainly, go to the store that has some of those guitars. (Notice the some, not one?) Feel them, stumble around with them, have someone else play them as well if possible. Feel the guitar. Then, and only then, make the decision to purchase, if it's All That......

• Members

oh man...!

I want to make sure I get a good guitar. Not the best one- can't afford it- but the best one for the money I have...

I am nervous to get one too- that I might make a bad choice. I have bought other instruments in haste and was disapointed.. I had a clarinet for a week before I gave it away to someone who said it was for their kids.

I know you can't rush these things.. but sheesh... I wanna play!!!...

patience...

• Members

oh man...!

I want to make sure I get a good guitar. Not the best one- can't afford it- but the best one for the money I have...

I am nervous to get one too- that I might make a bad choice. I have bought other instruments in haste and was disapointed.. I had a clarinet for a week before I gave it away to someone who said it was for their kids.

patience...

When you go out to demo the guitar, if it plays well and speaks to you, you'll know, and at that point you will not have made a bad purchase because you've bought the one.

• Members

oh man...!

patience...

Amanda,

There are a lot of nice guitars in your price range.

It's hard to go wrong with Yamaha, Alvarez or Washburn in the $200 - $300 range.

Guitar Center sells Parkwood guitars in the $350 -$450 range. They are made by Cort. All solid wood construction. Very nice guitars for the money. You can also pick up an Epiphone Masterbilt in the same price range. All solid wood construction. One of the forum favorites.

• Members

Amanda-Jane: Let's see......would you buy a Selmer Clarinet off the net? Would you rather play it first? Back up a few replies and go with Freeman's plan. I suspect that most guitar teachers in your area have an extra guitar or two. Get started, smarten up on what's what. Then buy. Most musicians I've known know lots of other musicians. Borrow one. About 90 percent of the folks on this forum own 4 or more guitars. A couple of them own 20 or more. This is a disease and unfortunately you've got it. It's called GAS. Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. It only gets worse, never better. Nylon string folk? Steel string dread? OM size? Take your time girl.

Dan

• Members

I am very excited!!! tomorrow is my first acoustic guitar shopping day!!! woo hoo.. I promise not to come home with one though :(.. its a looking, browsing and getting familiar with guitars..

I have decided to venture out to the city.. a ways away- to visit a shop I once worked near. This shop sells Cort, and Tanglewood guitars.. as well as others. Any thoughts on these brands?

Plus..... my budjet is going up!! woo hoo!! my husband has decided to put in towards my guitar- he wants me to get a .. lets say.. intermediate guitar, so that I don't want to upgrade shortly after I get the first one. He thinks I may get the GAS you all speak off..lol Budjet probably around the $5-600

Seriously though- Cort is a manufacturer. I've read good things, as well as Tanglewoods...

thoughts?

anyone...

• Members

Oh, Amanda, I'm excited for you!

I hope you have loads of fun, but don't get pressured into a decision by a forceful salesperson. Be patient and find the perfect guitar for you, one you'll be happy with for many years.

There are many very nice guitars out there in your price range, so take your time and find the one that "hits" you. Believe me, it'll happen sooner or later. Somehow you'll know it's perfect for you.

And NICE Hubby, pitching in for the new git. He's definitely a keeper!

Do let us know how your shopping day went.

Best Wishes,

Samilyn

• Members

Amanda Jane:

Mahogany sides and back. Solid spruce top. Another thing, this is Larrivee country here. Almost everybody on here has at least one. You're budget is getting close to an L-03M. Strodinary guitar. Strodinary!

Ellen will now tell you about Epiphone Masterbuilt, and TAH will fill in with Guild GAD. Great choices too, but personally I would stay with hog and spruce for my first. Can't go wrong.

Archived