Private Party ... Tip Jar or Not?

Stackabones

• Members

I generally put out a tip jar at open-to-the-public places, like bars or lounges. If it's a private event, I figure they've already paid enough.

But you never know. It wouldn't hurt to ask the person in charge and see what they think.

In a Private Party I wouldn't ask or put a tip jar out there. The host could get insulted for asking (unlikely but possible). If the host is paying you a good wage I just don't see it as worth the risk unless you are expecting some really good tips.

• Members

A tip jar is not an evil thing, as long as you are not pushing it (pointing out that you have a tip jar, encouraging people to tip, etc). Just like with any service, people at time WANT to tip musicians. I can recall times where I did requests, or even a series of requests and the individuals doing the requesting were very appreciative and wanted to tip. Our art form is interactive between we musicians and our audience. We express ourselves through our art, many listener also want to express themselves and do so by tipping. I usually have a tip jar out. I have a wooden case with a nice picture, business cards and a spot for tips.

The key, at the risk of redundancy, is to not be cheezy, overbearing, pushy, obnoxious about it.

• Members

A tip jar is not an evil thing, as long as you are not pushing it (pointing out that you have a tip jar, encouraging people to tip, etc). Just like with any service, people at time WANT to tip musicians. I can recall times where I did requests, or even a series of requests and the individuals doing the requesting were very appreciative and wanted to tip. Our art form is interactive between we musicians and our audience. We express ourselves through our art, many listener also want to express themselves and do so by tipping. I usually have a tip jar out. I have a wooden case with a nice picture, business cards and a spot for tips.

The key, at the risk of redundancy, is to not be cheezy, overbearing, pushy, obnoxious about it.

When I play in the German Polka band, I do a version of the song "Schnitzelbank" where I sing the lyrics...

"Ist das nicht mein business card?

Ja, das ist mein business card!

Ist das nicht mein tippen jar?

Ja, das ist mein tippen jar!"

Of course, pretty much everything we do in the polka band is meant to be taken as a joke, so it's okay in that context.

That's how I can get away with "Sweet Home Bavaria", "The Beer Gut Polka", and "Johann B. Goot".

• Members

As a rule, I don't put out a tip jar for private events. I've already been hired and negotiated the price. I don't presume anything more.

Now, that said, I do enjoy playing private events for all the little extras that tend to be thrown into the mix. Most of the time, I'm invited to take an extra long break to have something to eat and check out the open bar. Most events are happy and the hosts and guests are already having fun just by being there. I usually walk away well-paid and well fed.

Several times hosts have insisted that I put out a tip jar and hawk our CD.

So, bottom line, is, once a price is settled on, I would assume that's the money you should expect to receive. Don't be surprised though, when several people offer you a few extra dollars to play a certain song.

Bring business cards!

Archived