I bought a Fender DG-5 acoustic for $70 used with a hard case and...

kojack420

• Members

was wondering if thats a good guitar for a starter, also i was, cause that guitar has the original strings, and i`m looking to replace them but not sure what to replace them with as far as the tone and such. I am thinking that i`m going to go with a balanced toned strings vs warm or bright toned strings. I read somewhere that medium is good for starters and am looking for feedback about which strings I should go with medium or lite, bronze or phosphor bronze.

• Members

Welcome to the group, Kojack. I would say your new Fender will be fine to get started as long as it is structurally sound and reasonably playable. I've written a little guide to checking these things - it used to be a sticky called "Is My Guitar Sick" but it is now in the HCAG Annex (which is now stuck or you can click on the pink thingie in my sig). Go to the tech section and you will find the Sick Guitar thread, the How to Fix My Sick Guitar thread, and low and behold, one with sound clips of different strings. Most of us prefer light gauge strings - mediums are preferred by flat pickers and heavy strummers. Lights will be much easier to fret and play.

• Members

With a hardshell case you didn't get robbed at $70.00. That guitar will probably need a good setup. There are lots of those guitars out there with pretty high action. Check your area for prices to do that., it will be money well spent. Baring a setup you might try a set of, say .011 or there abouts, on the high E string to see how it does but I'd go with the set up which should include a new set of strings.

• Members

As a starter guitar it should do fine. In a couple of years you might decide that you'll want to find something a little nicer though. I tried something similar a couple of years back when my old Tak needed a neck reset and the action was only marginally better on the Fender. I decided to take the $80 and put it into my Tak instead. YMMV, though.

• Members

I bought a DG-7 eight years ago and still play it all the time, in public as well. Great deal with the case and a nice guitar. Enjoy.

The great thing with guitars like the 5 and 7 is if they ever freak from humidity, you don't have to, you can just go out and find another one at a great price and play on.

Archived