Learning to play

Amanda-Jane

• Members

I've had my second lesson.

Everything is still going great. I am making great progress, and my teacher is very happy with how far I have gotten in the first week.

I have moved on to using 5 strings. We started out flat picking the strings and playing simple songs and some more chords.

This week is mostly about accuracy and speed - especially with the chords.

I have been given some finger excercises to help me feel out the top strings (remember I am not aloud to look at the strings) I have to feel it out, and learn it that way.

The first 3 strings are easier for me than the top three... but I'm sure it will come with practice... which I have been doing alot of.

I was given a twelve bar blues number as well... with chords, finger picking.

I did so well and progressed so quickly in the first week, my teacher has given me a even greater challenge and goal for next week...eeeeek..lol

Chords are being stressed this week as well. Now that I "know" (and I use this term loosely) the strings and where they are, I am supposed to work on chords and finger placement...

I'm still lovin it!

For other newbies... less than a week into playing and my fingertips are not sore.. I played last night for 4 horus, and they were just red.. but not painful.

Hope all you others who are starting out at the same time as me are enjoying it as much as I am.

Amanda-Jane

• Members

:thu:Awsome Amanda!:thu:

Sounds like you're off to a truly great start. It also sounds like you have a great teacher.

Just keep playing everyday. And don't forget to listen to a lot of music. Listening is to a guitarist what reading is to a writer. If you live in a city with a good library, you should be coming home with at least ten CDs a week. Just grab everything.

• Members

Just keep playing everyday. And don't forget to listen to a lot of music. Listening is to a guitarist what reading is to a writer. If you live in a city with a good library, you should be coming home with at least ten CDs a week. Just grab everything.

lol

I live in a town where the grocery/bank/lotto center/movie rental/pharmacy is one store.

The craftstore is also the post office, and the gas station is also the restaurant and community center...

I always have the radio on though- satilite radio, and lots of cd's.

But I will try to listen to more music. I actually have been listening to the guitar in the songs.. I never listened to music that way before. Its amazing how much more you can hear when your paying attention to details

• Members

That's great, Amanda! I'm so glad you're making such fine progress and enjoying it so much.

I'm also impressed that your teacher is giving you so many different things to work on. So much more enjoyable than just strumming the same chords over and over again.

Your progression to 5 strings reminds me of my first git lesson. I was only 6 years old and was given a child-size git with only 4 strings. I had to learn "Blowin' in the Wind" to earn the other two strings. Took me a week. :D

And your town sounds much like where I live....not much more than a post office and a blinking light at the highway intersection. LOL

• Members

LOL, Garthman.

When we moved here years ago, there was a diner called "Indian Inn" that was subsequently razed when the highway was widened. A bunch of locals would gather there in the morning, drink coffee and talk politics. Upon hearing one discussion, the term "village idiot" was redefined for me.

Somehow I get the feeling yours and Amanda's towns are more appealing than my own.

• Members

LOL, Garthman.

When we moved here years ago, there was a diner called "Indian Inn" that was subsequently razed when the highway was widened. A bunch of locals would gather there in the morning, drink coffee and talk politics. Upon hearing one discussion, the term "village idiot" was redefined for me.

Somehow I get the feeling yours and Amanda's towns are more appealing than my own.

I think I know what you mean (mind you, village politics can be scary too!).

• Members

So true, Garthman.

I honestly wish I could isolate myself out here on our little acreage, be self-sustaining, play my git for entertainment, and not have to deal with society except for getting together with other git players now and then.

But I'm very glad that Amanda's little town hosts what sounds like a very competent git instructor. There are some great pickers down here, but I don't know if they'd be good instructors or not.

• Members

AJ. what great news. keep it up. I had the same kind of excitment when I began playing. sounds like you are doing better than I did.

one thing that is so true....when listening to music the guitar parts really stand out now.

glad you have the same experience.

• Members

I honestly wish I could isolate myself out here on our little acreage, be self-sustaining, play my git for entertainment, and not have to deal with society except for getting together with other git players now and then.

Ah! What bliss that would be!

But I'm very glad that Amanda's little town hosts what sounds like a very competent git instructor. There are some great pickers down here, but I don't know if they'd be good instructors or not.

:thu: Yes, it sounds as if he is a good teacher - asking a student to start playing without looking at the fretboard is radical stuff but it makes a lot of sense.

• Members

:thu:
Yes, it sounds as if he is a good teacher - asking a student to start playing without looking at the fretboard is radical stuff but it makes a lot of sense.

Perhaps not so radical and it does indeed make sense. When I learned to play 40+ years ago, I was only allowed to look at the fret board once or twice, then had to do the chords without looking. Same thing for learning to fingerpick - no peeking allowed!

Now the only time I watch what I'm doing is when I'm playing fingerstyle and "jumping" several frets to hit the notes I want. I'm not a good fingerstyle player, but working hard to get better.

I think the way Amanda is being taught is laying a good, firm foundation for many years of git playing and I'm going to be paying close attention to her posts. :thu:

• Members

Perhaps not so radical and it does indeed make sense. When I learned to play 40+ years ago, I was only allowed to look at the fret board once or twice, then had to do the chords without looking. Same thing for learning to fingerpick - no peeking allowed!

Now the only time I watch what I'm doing is when I'm playing fingerstyle and "jumping" several frets to hit the notes I want. I'm not a good fingerstyle player, but working hard to get better.

I think the way Amanda is being taught is laying a good, firm foundation for many years of git playing and I'm going to be paying close attention to her posts.
:thu:

Well! It's 40 years since I started playing too! But I was self taught. HST, I almost never look at the fretboard - my first guitar was a classical with no fretmarkers and I soon got used to it and I can usually jump around pretty thoroughly now (and I often play guitar in a completely dark room - try it, you seem to hear much more).

Yes, about the thread - I'm enjoying A-J's threads a lot.

• Members

A-J,

Thanks for posting your progress. It is an encouragement to your fellow newbies!

BTW, does your instructor have you working out of a particular book? If you've already mentioned it, I missed it.

Bill

I am using Hal Leonard, Guitar Method book 1

Very Easy to read, understand and follow. I think it might even work for someone who wants to teach themselves.

• Members

Ahh, Grasshopper,

When you can make an F major chord, it will be time for you to leave...

(Please excuse my riffing on an obscure cultural reference...)

F major was a big hurdle for me. I think it took me a few months to be able to play it without any muffed notes.

Enjoy the learning process! I sometimes forget, after 34 years of playing, just how magical playing music really is.

Cheers!

Glenn

Archived