Learning to play

Amanda-Jane

• Members

This one?

Hal Leonard Guitar Book 1

That's a good one, if so.

Ellen

I too am new at the guitar...This is the first book I bought. Can a few of you tell me why this is a good book/teaching method? Is it better to learn to pick the individual notes and then expand to chords? Do both?

Thanks for the info.

• Members

Keep it up. The love for the music will carry you far. Sometimes it nice to get "quick gratification" also. I am very much a believer that too much theory and rote can dull the shine of a brand new endeavor. If you see yourself growing bored with the pace, or the material, or the exercises, be sure to tell you instructor. He/she may have other things that they can show you that are higher on the gratification curve. For example learning scales and reading music notation is very important, but picking up three chords so that you can accompany yourself to simple songs is both easy and highly rewarding.

It should not replace your important instruction, but you should keep this in mind IF you get to the point where your exercises are not fun and you dont look forward to practice. I love to practice and could play all day. Thats what keeps you going!

Good luck!!

• Members

I too am new at the guitar...This is the first book I bought. Can a few of you tell me why this is a good book/teaching method? Is it better to learn to pick the individual notes and then expand to chords? Do both?

Thanks for the info.

No one way is "best" to learn guitar, IMHO. But back when I taught guitar, that was the book I generally used. We went through the tunes in the book and I usually taught them a chord or two each lesson.

Ellen

• Members

F major was a big hurdle for me. I think it took me a few months to be able to play it without any muffed notes.

Glenn

That one was particularly difficult for me to master, too. Maybe because my child-size hands were still so small? Sure felt great the first time I made it sound clean and clear.

And it still feels wonderful when I learn a new chord, or re-master one I haven't played in many years.

Speaking of callouses, wear 'em with pride! I remember how proud I was to finally get one on my pinky finger. :lol:

• Members

I've had my second lesson.

Everything is still going great. I am making great progress, and my teacher is very happy with how far I have gotten in the first week.

I have moved on to using 5 strings. We started out flat picking the strings and playing simple songs and some more chords.

This week is mostly about accuracy and speed - especially with the chords.

I have been given some finger excercises to help me feel out the top strings (remember I am not aloud to look at the strings) I have to feel it out, and learn it that way.

The first 3 strings are easier for me than the top three... but I'm sure it will come with practice... which I have been doing alot of.

I was given a twelve bar blues number as well... with chords, finger picking.

I did so well and progressed so quickly in the first week, my teacher has given me a even greater challenge and goal for next week...eeeeek..lol

Chords are being stressed this week as well. Now that I "know" (and I use this term loosely) the strings and where they are, I am supposed to work on chords and finger placement...

I'm still lovin it!

For other newbies... less than a week into playing and my fingertips are not sore.. I played last night for 4 horus, and they were just red.. but not painful.

Hope all you others who are starting out at the same time as me are enjoying it as much as I am.

Amanda-Jane

As a teen, I wish my teacher had moved in that direction. He had me playing broadway type show tunes as some of my first songs and it was such a turn off to a young rocker that I had little to no desire to practice the lessons that my teacher at the time gave me.

Awe, who am I kidding...as I think back to that time (about 40 years ago) I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have had the discipline to practice no matter what I was taught. The good thing is that I must have learned enough to love playing the instrument today.

Keep up the practice the learning really is rewarding.

• Members

I'm using the same book.

I had my first lesson yesterday. It was supposed to be last Wednesday, but the instructor couldn't make it. Went really well. He looked at my technique and said it looked well. Just gave me a few pointers to help me tweak it. He's going to keep me in the Hal Leonard book and just add/subtract from it. He ditched the first chord lesson from it and gave me Am and Em instead. Also gave me a scale to work on. Since he's off next week for the holiday, I'll have time to work on it. He also gave me C, G and D to add if I'm comfortable.

I'm really impressed with the guy. Easy going and he relaxes me, which is important because I tend to get nervous. Told me to start making a wish list of songs to learn. I said that I'm a long way off from that stuff. He said, you're a lot closer than you think. Bring a couple in and we'll start working on them. So that's really encouraging. He also said we'd work on strumming patterns a bit next lesson so practicing chords wouldn't get so boring, then I reminded him that I was a drummer. I said I can do that! It's the one thing I can do. So I started repeating everything he was doing. I said my right hand isn't a problem. It's my left. So he said we'll bring that in line.

My fingers are sore. But I'm keeping at it. I figure they'll develop calluses soon enough. I'm finding it much easier to switch between Am and Em than the two chords in the first lesson of the Hal Leonard book. They sound better too.

• Members

With that chord list, you'll be playing a lot of songs in no time. Glad to hear you're making such fine progress and are comfy with your instructor.

And yup - being a drummer, you won't have any difficulties at all with rhythmic strumming patterns. :thu:

Sore fingers are par for the course, but the callouses will come. Just gobble a couple of Tylenol or Advil, and rub your fingertips over an ice cube. Really helps the inflammation and throbbing. A topical anesthetic such as "Orajel" also helps if they're hurting real bad. (Just don't play with the gook on your fingers...duh)

Hang in there and have fun!

• Members

Hi Amanda-Jane, I am also just starting, but well behind you. Someone else told me , in a different thread, that I need to get the Hal Leonard book like you have. Does it cover picking as well as chords? I guess I just need to get out and buy one. Sounds like you are doing very well, keep it up...Gregg

• Members

Hi Amanda-Jane, I am also just starting, but well behind you. Someone else told me , in a different thread, that I need to get the Hal Leonard book like you have. Does it cover picking as well as chords? I guess I just need to get out and buy one. Sounds like you are doing very well, keep it up...Gregg

Hi

Yes it does cover picking.. infact it starts there, learning notes and where they are on the fretboard.

You learn simple songs to practice picking the individual notes.. and then you move on to chords.

I've found it great so far.

And welcome :) I am sure your not far behind me..lol.. I"ve only had a guitar for two weeks :)

• Members

:freak:

Hi

Yes it does cover picking.. infact it starts there, learning notes and where they are on the fretboard.

You learn simple songs to practice picking the individual notes.. and then you move on to chords.

I've found it great so far.

And welcome
:)
I am sure your not far behind me..lol.. I"ve only had a guitar for two weeks
:)

And, as I learned today, you can pick those notes with a pic or fingers to break up the lesson a little more. I myself can listen to Od to Joy twelve times straight as I practice but the family is asking for the combo to the gun safe:freak:

ETA: they actually enjoy my playing...bought the daughter a mic today so she can sing Christmas carols.

• Members

It's nice that you are so enthusiastic about playing. I really think that is what guitar playing is all about. I think that is why I love the guitar so much, because in a way, the progress made makes a person so happy. I really see that in students and it is a great feeling. Tip- make sure you practice your chords with the left hand alone in slow motion placing the fingers. It works wonders in a very short time!

• Members

You know the comments are interesting here: I totally relate to the one about the boring music selection that often comes up in the course of lessons!

I think that's one MAJOR turnoff the music publishers don't recognize.

Of course, the reason a lot of that music is there is that it's copyright free, which translates into a more reasonable priced book. AND if they got into particular songs you might like, well. . . other folks might not like Bob Dylan so much, but want Robert Plant, etc., etc., and you wouldn't have sufficient market to sell the title.

I'm trying to teach myself some stuff, and I just suck up the pain involved in doing music I just don't care much for. I'm getting technique out of it; that's why the piece is there, like it or not. So I try to do it and tell myself it's good for me.

Archived