Larrivee or Epiphone Masterbuilt

krisnrg

• Members

Hello guys, I currently own a Carvin Cobalt with the Fishman Matrix pick up and the Plus T pre-amp. It's a really nice guitar and I really like it. It sounds great and I get complements from lots of people about how good it sounds. Recently my friend offered to buy it of me cause he really liked it. I don't want to sell it cause I like it but I figured I could upgrade to something better.

So I need advice...

For my next guitar I want all solid wood construction, a non-cut away body and it would be nice for it to be built in North America.

A guitar that fits the description well is the Larrivee L-03. I like the fact that it looks real simple. The Epiphone Masterbuilt looks like an option too as well as some of the Guild models.

I don't have enough of a budget to get something with electronics, something I will have to add later. I rather get a nice guitar. Also I don't like having a huge hole on the side of the guitar.

Is adding the pick-up later a good idea? Or should I stretch for something with electronics?

So basically I'l asking for opinions on what guitars are nice for about 800-900 dollars

• Members

I have owned both a Masterbilt AJ-500M and a Larrivee L-03 in mahogany. Very different guitars and tone, despite common tonewoods. The L-03 has a 1 3/4" and so arguably is more versatile. Handles fingerpicking and strumming/flatpicking equally well. Very comfortable body shape and excellent construction quality. Hard to find a better "do it all" guitar.

The AJ is also excellent, and truly amazing at its pricepoint. It is just a different. Big and loud sound tone with decent clarity. Strong percussive bass. Bone rattling, but still tight. To me, the tone of the Larrivee is just more refined.

Of the 2, the L-03 is an easy choice to me. It also meets your N.American manufacturer criteria.

You may be looking at the Epi OM/000 styles and I have little experience there. Several others here do. I also have a Guild GAD 12 string that has top drawer construction. I believe their 6 strings are equally well-made.

I added a K & K Pure Western Mini to the Larrivee---no big deal to install. The Larrivee comes with a 1/2" end hole, making jack installation easier.

• Members

I own only two pieces of gear I would never trade or sell, and one of them is my Larrivee. They are just pieces of art imo. I don't really know much about the epi, but I do know that I can recommend the Larrivee and know that you will be pleased. In the end it all boils down to which one you like, unless you are a gear snob.. like lots of people here seem to be. If the epi does it for you, get it. If its a toss up, buy the larrivee. On second thought, just buy the larrivee...Epi's are for noobs.. JK

Sincerely

Gear Snob

• Members

....unless you are a gear snob.. like lots of people here seem to be....

Sincerely

Gear Snob

?????

I see very little gear snobbishness here. Certainly folks have their preferences but everyone I've come into contact with here will give an honest appraisal based on their experience, regardless of the brand, and, everyone I've seen has refrained from an opinion if they are not familiar with a particular instrument.

• Members

I was fortunate to own an Epi Mastebilt DR-500R, and Guild GAD 30R and a Larrivee L-03. All 3 were nice quality guitars for the money.

I would rank the quality of the brands in the following order: L-03 #1, GAD 30-R #2 and DR-500R #3.

I would rank the over-all tone in the following order: L03 #1, DR-500R #2 and GAD 30R #3.

The DR-500R was loud and had strong bass response. The Larrivee L-03 had good bass response, stronger mids and a more balanced tone than the DR-500R. It was great for strumming and fingerstyle. It features a 1 3/4" nut.

The GAD 30R is better suited for fingerstyle. Mine was very tight sounding when I got it. It was beginning to open up, but it still sound slightly compressed and boxy. I recently played a GAD 25 that impressed me. It was full and rich.

With all that being said, I would go with the Larrivee L-03. The quality and tone is equal to guitars that cost 2 to 3 times as much. Currently, I own an OM-03R. I've had it for 3 months. I can't walk by it without picking it up.

• Members

?????

I see very little gear snobbishness here. Certainly folks have their preferences but everyone I've come into contact with here will give an honest appraisal based on their experience, regardless of the brand, and, everyone I've seen has refrained from an opinion if they are not familiar with a particular instrument.

Sarcasm doesn't transfer well in this font I guess.

• Members

Thanks guys for the replies. I was thinking Larry all the way but wanted to get honest opinions as the Masterbuilt sounded quite nice. My only worry is that GC recently started carrying Larrivee's and the one I played seemed badly setup and didn't sound very good.

I know it was prolly the setup but can yo guys confirm that?

Also what the case for the L-03 over the D-03. My old guitar was a dreadnought and I'm not sure about the L-03.

What is the strength of that body style(L-03)?

I'm about 6'2" will it look tiny on me(L-03)?

Thanks guys helps me out with these last doubts...

With all said I will start looking for some used larrys first to see if I can spot some good deals. If not I'll buy new. Is Elderlyinstruments.com a good place to buy?

• Members

If you're buying a guitar strictly for its intrinsic value - that is, your evaluation of how it sounds and plays - then forget brands and buy the one that speaks to you (with due consideration of relative price, of course).

I'm fortunate to own a few high-end guitars, and they have their merits, but if you asked me if my D-41 sounded five times as good as my AD-80 (the price relationship), I'd say no way. Not that there isn't a difference, it's just not a multiple of five. The difference in playability between the two for me has nothing to do with their quality or construction: I simply prefer the thicker neck of the Martin. Reverse that relationship and the gap between the two would become even closer: to me, and only me.

If you're looking at something like long-term resale, then I'd say go for the Larry. The Larry probably also has a slight edge in the consistency of construction quality, though that quality probably is similar among the three most of the time.

Still, in the end, owing a guitar that everyone else prefers isn't nearly as satisfying as owning the one that you think is perfect for you. Been there, done that...learned the hard way!

• Members

Thanks guys for the replies. I was thinking Larry all the way but wanted to get honest opinions as the Masterbuilt sounded quite nice. My only worry is that GC recently started carrying Larrivee's and the one I played seemed badly setup and didn't sound very good.

I know it was prolly the setup but can yo guys confirm that?

Also what the case for the L-03 over the D-03. My old guitar was a dreadnought and I'm not sure about the L-03.

What is the strength of that body style(L-03)?

I'm about 6'2" will it look tiny on me(L-03)?

Thanks guys helps me out with these last doubts...

With all said I will start looking for some used larrys first to see if I can spot some good deals. If not I'll buy new. Is Elderlyinstruments.com a good place to buy?

The L is a full sized guitar. It has sloped shoulders and a waist a bit smaller than the Larrivee D. It also has a 1 3/4" nut. The D has a 1 11/16" nut.

Check out Notable Guitars: http://www.notableguitars.com/index.html

The owner, Jason, has great Larrivee prices and excellent service. He gives every guitar a full inspection and a set up prior to shipping. Visit his site and click on the Larrivee price list link to get his prices emailed to you instantly. He is very knowledgable about Larrivee guitars. He can answer any questions you may have.

• Members

Thanks a lot guys. I think i will look into the L-03 cause the wider nut. I often have trouble inadvertently muting strings on my Cobalt, I guess that will help. Also I want to get more into finger style. It's better for that too right???

Well guys thanks for the help, I'm off to test guitars...at the top of my list is the Larrivee L-03. I will buy what sounds best though.

Yairi's are real nice too but too expensive, I'd be lucky to score one used at a good price.

• Members

I currently own a Larrivee D-03, and I owned an Epiphone Masterbilt for a brief period of time.

The Larrivee is a phenomenal guitar. Just love that thing.

I was not happy with the Masterbilt. The build quality just wan't there. The nut was cut wrong, and the area where the neck and body/soundhole met up didn't seem to be fit properly. Seems like maybe there were some other imperfections as well, don't remember. It got returned.

• Members

I'm in the market for a new acoustic as well. Similar to you, I've been looking at Larrivee and Masterbilt as well as the Guild GAD. I've been looking at OM/000 sized guitars so they may sound a little different than dreads.

From what I've found out so far, all three brands are solidly built with the Larry being a little more pleasing to the eye.

Tone-wise, they're very different. The GAD 30 had a great tone (to me), very traditional sounding in a Gibson/Martin way. The Epiphone EF was thin-sounding without a lot of low-end oomph. The Larrivees have a unique tone, which is somewhere between traditional and newer (Taylor) but leaning more towards the Taylor sound. In my opinion, it sounds "harpsichord-esque".

As everyone suggests, you need to go out and pick them up and play them. They're all quality and good choices. And test-driving them is always fun!!!

• Members

I'm the biggest Epiphone Masterbilt fan you're ever going to find but I'd go with the Larri here. Masterbilts are a great value, but if you're willing to spend a few hundred more, Larris are a step up.

Ellen

When the "Princess of Masterbilts" points you to Larrivee, you need to take heed! Ellen knows guitars.

If finances did not prohibit it, I would have to give a serious look at the Larrivee OM-03. I've read so much about that guitar from folks I respect that it's got to be something else.

Bill

• Members

When the "Princess of Masterbilts" points you to Larrivee, you need to take heed! Ellen knows guitars.

:D Thanks Bill! I don't claim to know much, but Larrivees are among the highest quality guitars in their price range. If you only have $500, get a Masterbilt. But if you're willing to put in a couple hundred extra, Larrivee takes the cake in that price range.

Ellen

• Members

If finances did not prohibit it, I would have to give a serious look at the Larrivee OM-03. I've read so much about that guitar from folks I respect that it's got to be something else.

Bill

Well, if Ellen can come clean about Epiphone Masterbilt then I feel I should come clean about Larrivee OM's then. Much as I love my OM-03R I sometimes feel as if I'm trying to do more with it than it's capable of. By that I mean that it breaks up when I try to strum or use a thumbpick too aggressively. I think it's a combination of many things and not an inherent flaw in the guitar and I still love it for more delicate and modern type fingerstyle. OTOH I think that the larger L is more versatile, especially with mahogany back & sides - though I've yet to try the new sapele L-03s.

BTW - Ellen's right about the EF being louder than the Larrivee OM's. I've found that to be true as well, which is why I'm entertaining the idea of an EF-500M as a fingerpicking alternative - though that's probably not gonna happen. I've seen a couple of MB's with "2nd" stamped on the back of the headstock, though. What's that all about?

• Members

Well, if Ellen ...then I feel I should come clean about Larrivee OM's then. .

BTW - Ellen's right about the EF being louder than the Larrivee OM's. I've found that to be true as well, which is why I'm entertaining the idea of an EF-500M as a fingerpicking alternative - though that's probably not gonna happen. I've seen a couple of MB's with "2nd" stamped on the back of the headstock, though. What's that all about?

First, not all better "made" guitars sound better.

Second, I love the Epi's sound, especially the cheaper mahogany's.

Third, its about what U like best, not the name, unless of course image is equally important.

Fourth.....second means second..it has a flaw of some kind...in most cases its just a cosmetic blemish, but be careful. I would only buy one if it had a return policy.

Archived