Larrivee or Epiphone Masterbuilt

krisnrg

• Members

BTW - Ellen's right about the EF being louder than the Larrivee OM's. I've found that to be true as well, which is why I'm entertaining the idea of an EF-500M as a fingerpicking alternative - though that's probably not gonna happen. I've seen a couple of MB's with "2nd" stamped on the back of the headstock, though. What's that all about?

Those are the factory seconds, right? My local store had one in stock around when I bought my EF-500R, but I ended up going with GC because they gave me a significantly better price. Anyway my experience with Epi's seconds is that they usually have pretty much undetectable finish flaws.

Ellen

• Members

Tomorrow I will hunt down any place here in town (Tucson AZ)that sells Larrivee guitars...

They don't seem to have mahogany L-03 or D-03's.

Is the L body a Grand Auditorium?

IS that place notableguitars.com a good place to buy? They seem to have good deals. Has anyone here bought from them before?

How about elderly.com?

• Members

Is the L body a Grand Auditorium?

IS that place notableguitars.com a good place to buy? They seem to have good deals. Has anyone here bought from them before?

First- Notable is good and that's probably an understatement. I have personally never bought from them but I have heard nothing but awesome things from everyone around here. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Second, it can get frustrating to compared body styles of guitars between different companies. The Larrivee "L" style is sort of like a compromise between their "OM" and their "D" styles, which for the most part correspond to a Martin OM and a Martin dread respectively. Or, since Grand Auditorium makes me think of Taylor, the "OM" is similar to the Taylor x12 design (Grand Concert in modern Taylor speak) and the "D" is similar to the Taylor x10 style (or DN).

I suppose you could compare it to the x14 (Grand Auditorium) Taylor design, but when you get down to playing the guitar, the "L" is a style that is uniquely Larrivee. So you're exactly right to get out and try one. Then if you like it, give Notable a call or email. While I haven't bought anything from Notable, I have emailed about stuff and they are wicked fast with the email.

Good luck!

Ellen

• Members

I just spent $500 on an Epi EF-500RCCE and haven't been able to put it down for the two weeks I've had it. It's a freakin' delight to play, easy and smooth, and the tone is outstanding. I can't say enough good things about it. When I'm at work all I can think about is getting home to play. It's just amazing. It is a cutaway which increases it's appeal to me. I have no idea how the electronics are, I haven't plugged in. Normally I'm a big Larri fan but I wouldn't discard the Epi's without giving them a very serious look/play. And the extra $$ an Epi leaves in your pocket is always a plus.

• Members

I'm a big Larri fan but I wouldn't discard the Epi's without giving them a very serious look/play. And the extra $$ an Epi leaves in your pocket is always a plus.

This is a good point. All my Larri endorsing is assuming the OP is willing to spend the extra couple hundred bucks for the Larri. If he wants a little more cash left over, Epiphone Masterbilt is hard to beat in the around-$500 range.

I promise I'm not bipolar. :D

• Members

when you get down to playing the guitar, the "L" is a style that is uniquely Larrivee.

One word to describe the L-body's - Versatile.

It seem to do everything well. Fingerpicked or strummed, it's a great all-around guitar. Larger than an OM but smaller than a Dred it has good bass and strong mids. If I could only have one guitar, it would be an L-body.

BUT...It is a compromise. Is it the best guitar for heavy strumming or Bluegrass runs? Is it the best for delicate fingerpicking? Is it the best blues or slide guitar? Probably not. But it can do most styles pretty darn well. And they're pretty to boot:

MarkandLarri.jpg

Better looking than it's owner!

Markus

• Members

Kwak:

I've played the L-03 and the L-03SP side by side and I can't hear any real difference.

Notable is a great place to buy Larrivees.

You might also try Trinity Guitars and Guitar Adoptions (goole for their websites, I don't know them off the top of my head.

• Members

When comparing Epi/Larri I think its fair to include all the Epi's as they're all less green than the least costly Larri's.Especially since some of them mentioned on both sides are different body styles.As much as I like my EF the AJ's are IMO the best sounding Masterbilts and untill I can try the Larris my vote goes to the AJ's.There one in every bunch :rolleyes:!

• Members

First time poster, but had to jump in on this thread. Both are nice guitars, but for a few dollars more you get more guitar with the Larrivee. I have owned both, 1 Masterbilt (slope dred) and 3 Larrivee's (L and 2 OM's) and currently have and OM-50. In my opinion, and my opinion only you get more guitar and a more refined sound with the Larrivee.

As for Notable Guitars and Jason, I have delt with him for two years, and purchased my OM-50 from him. I can't recommend him enough. The entire transaction was smooth, all questions answered, guitar set up to my specs, and received within 5 days of order. Jason has great prices and great service. If your seriously looking for a Larrivee you owe it to yourself to give him a call.:thu:

Archived