how do you do it - recording, posting songs ?

Tony Burns

• Members

I wish i could post a song or possibly submit a song or two to different projects - but im not technologically with it - Im still in the cassette phase etc--recoding as well as video are not in my talents list - but would love to get competant with it - what can i do , read up on or go for help ( low cost or no cost )!

Thanks for the help, this has been bugging me for quite a while .

• Members

Tony, I am probably the last one who should answer this, but if you go to the Annex, under the Links section is a link to the free program Audacity - it will allow you to record using your PC and whatever kind of little mic you want to add (look at the number of songs in the Acoustic music section that were recorded with Audacity). The is a free add on that you can download that lets you save these as mp3's - then all you need to do is send them to me and - presto - your music will appear on the Annex (and in my brand new iPod).

I bought a little digital record and mic which works just like an analog cassette deck, and there is a new Boss micro recorder that lots of people like - but give Audacity a shot.

Queequeg wrote a pretty good tutorial on Audacity - I don't know if ever got posted but if not I can send it to you.

• Members

I love the Zoom H4. It's one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time.

Very simple to use and you can use it anywhere.

I'm no tech savvy genious by any means. I made my first recording when I opened the box, and made a four-track about a half-an-hour later. Instruction booklet is reasonably well-done.

I have GarageBand on my computer, which is a very cool tool -- but I like the freedom the Zoom H4 offers. Record whenever inspiration strikes ... don't have to boot up computer, set up mics, open DAW application, clear off desk, etc.

• Members

Also take a look at Kristal Audio Engine - the current freeware version has a 16 track mixer, and it's not difficult to use. I have the older 8 track version and it's very good. If you play electro-acoustic, you should be able to jack your amp's Phones/Rec Out directly into the Line In on your sound card. If your computer doesn't have a Line In (most portables don't), you can pick up an external usb sound card. If you don't use an amp, you'll need a decent mic. I'm looking at the Samson CO3U usb mic, which goes for around $80-90. Queeq uses the CO1U (basically the same mic without the bells & whistles) on his recordings on the Annex.

• Members

I love the
. It's one of the best purchases I've made in a very long time.

Very simple to use and you can use it anywhere.

I'm no tech savvy genious by any means. I made my first recording when I opened the box, and made a four-track about a half-an-hour later. Instruction booklet is reasonably well-done.

I have GarageBand on my computer, which is a very cool tool -- but I like the freedom the Zoom H4 offers. Record whenever inspiration strikes ... don't have to boot up computer, set up mics, open DAW application, clear off desk, etc.

The link you sent has no price -- can you give us a ballpark? And how would a rank beginner like me do with it?

• Members

The link you sent has no price -- can you give us a ballpark? And how would a rank beginner like me do with it?

This kit comes with the 2GB soundcard -- which you'll need!

Well, JG, I'm not sure how you'd do? YMMV, ya know? But, to me, it seems like a pretty easy unit to get started on and learn some basics of recording. I read up on the various ones out there (Sony, Edirol, Boss, etc) and decided that the Zoom was it for me, pros and cons.

EDIT & FYI: just made a recording using the Zoom while on vacation.

• Members

This
comes with the 2GB soundcard -- which you'll need!

Well, JG, I'm not sure how you'd do? YMMV, ya know? But, to me, it seems like a pretty easy unit to get started on and learn some basics of recording. I read up on the various ones out there (Sony, Edirol, Boss, etc) and decided that the Zoom was it for me, pros and cons.

EDIT & FYI:

Tony,

I have been looking into getting this unit too.

Here is some info. YouTube I found.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hH-cyTvnEaI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RyfG3SsdfmQ&feature=related

hope it helps

• Members
Tony,

I have been looking into getting this unit too.

Here is some info. YouTube I found.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u0h5e3R1QPY&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hH-cyTvnEaI

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0V7PAOoqpA0&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RyfG3SsdfmQ&feature=related

hope it helps

I watched many of those while researching the H4! :thu:

• Members

1. Mic. (preferably condensor. But for a condensor, you need a pre-amp)

2. Recording device that does digital audio. (Can be computer or external hardware device). (a). If it's a computer, you need recording software.

3. Recording device or software should allow you to convert recording to MP3

4. You need a website to upload it to. Usually this involves using a control panel for a website or an ftp program. Sometimes, you can email it to someone who will put it on the website for you.

• Members

1. Mic. (preferably condensor. But for a condensor, you need a pre-amp)

The Samson COIU & CO3U are USB condenser mics. Neither requires a pre-amp.

2. Recording device that does digital audio. (Can be computer or external hardware device). (a). If it's a computer, you need recording software.

Kristal & Audacity are freeware - both do multitrack recording.

3. Recording device or software should allow you to convert recording to MP3

There are numerous wav/mp3 converters available online. I use dbPoweramp.

4. You need a website to upload it to. Usually this involves using a control panel for a website or an ftp program. Sometimes, you can email it to someone who will put it on the website for you.

Email the mp3's to Freeman and we'll post 'em on the Annex.

• Members
A friend of mine has the H2 and she really likes it.

IIRC it doesn't multitrack, right?

Multitracking was an important factor in my decision.
:)

The H2 will do up to 4 tracks and 360 degrees though it's primarily designed for 2 tracks, IMO.
My opinion is based on the ability to have different polar patterns, auto record, ease of use and the fact that it can be used as an USB mic for recording direct to computer. If I'm not mistaken it will also handle higher capacity storage media and has more to start with.

I like to just sit down with my guitar and record what comes out. As it is, that means setting up mics and a recording medium which takes time. I also, very often, record my live gigs and that also requires setting up additional gear to do the recording. The H2 has all the capability I need at a better price. I don't need XLR inputs, guitar effects & so on so.....It really depends on real needs as to which one is better but for the kind of stuff I do it's the best deal and on my want list.

• Members

As the others have all said, it's actually pretty easy. When I first got started I just used a cheap and basic PC microphone and Audacity with the LAME download so that I could export to MP3 format. As for hosting, I've used Putfile but I'm certain that there are better options out there.

BTW, posting videos is nearly as easy. Many digital cameras come with a movie mode that takes AVI format videos. Youtube or Putfile will accept that format and convert it to the more web-friendly (albeit high speed Internet) FLV format.

• Members

I like to just sit down with my guitar and record what comes out. As it is, that means setting up mics and a recording medium which takes time. I also, very often, record my live gigs and that also requires setting up additional gear to do the recording. The H2 has all the capability I need at a better price. I don't need XLR inputs, guitar effects & so on so.....It really depends on real needs as to which one is better but for the kind of stuff I do it's the best deal and on my want list.

The XLR was really important to me. And the guitar effects were just neat, though I don't have much use for them right now (later ...).

It's pretty cool that they have both versions to meet the needs of different musicians.

Both allow so much freedom. It's really a great creative tool.

• Members

As the others have all said, it's actually pretty easy. When I first got started I just used
a cheap and basic PC microphone and Audacity with the LAME download
so that I could export to MP3 format. As for hosting, I've used Putfile but I'm certain that there are better options out there.

BTW, posting videos is nearly as easy. Many digital cameras come with a movie mode that takes AVI format videos. Youtube or Putfile will accept that format and convert it to the more web-friendly (albeit high speed Internet) FLV format.

I am still doing it this way. It works, but I am looking into an H2 as well so that I can capture ideas when I have them. But for the cheapest way to do it, nothing beats computer mic into Audacity.

• Members
Tony, I am probably the last one who should answer this, but if you go to the Annex, under the Links section is a link to the free program Audacity - it will allow you to record using your PC and whatever kind of little mic you want to add (look at the number of songs in the Acoustic music section that were recorded with Audacity). The is a free add on that you can download that lets you save these as mp3's - then all you need to do is send them to me and - presto - your music will appear on the Annex (and in my brand new iPod).

I bought a little digital record and mic which works just like an analog cassette deck, and there is a new Boss micro recorder that lots of people like - but give Audacity a shot.

Queequeg wrote a pretty good tutorial on Audacity - I don't know if ever got posted but if not I can send it to you.

+1

I use this all the time. If you go to my myspace, www.myspace.com/blindtheeyesofmyheart, click on "Not For The Season." It's an unreleased Wilco song (only available on Disc 2 of their documentary DVD set) and I recorded myself playing it using Audacity. It's not as powerful as Pro Tools, but for a free program it does a very good job.

• Members

Some folks complain about the user interface on the H4 (buttons too small, too much scrolling etc), but I haven't really had any problems.

How do you feel about the H2 in that regard?

I've read about that small button issue as well. Couldn't say about the H2 since I don't own it yet, but, looking at the layout I'd say that may be an issue for some folks with it as well.

Archived