Bye Bye

Samilyn

• Members
mini, you can send me some of your lyrics if you want.

gtrman911@yahoo.com

There are a couple of snippets in my sigline. Here's an example of what I do,
I'm not ashamed of them.

"Cold Blue"

How I long for that
Warm orange red
How I yearn for that
Bright meadows green
The birds have all gone
And with them their songs

Hot days of mad laughter
Are lost from my mind
Nights of open windows
Are lost from my heart
Leaving me emptied
Of their memories

I will suffer your stay
With alcohol's bliss
Through each frigid day
Your touch I'll resist
It's me against you
My cold winter blue

Will the robin return
To sing in my tree
Will the sun again
Ever shine upon me
Cruel winter mistress
Please set me free

I can hear each leaf
Crash to the ground
I can feel summer
Is slipping away
Cold blue winter's dawn
Keeps me down for too long

Oh, please return me
Those flowers of spring
Oh, please return me
That bright yellow sun
I will await you
Through cold winter blue

There is a definate flow to it, though I have trouble deciding a key to use
and to try for melodies that go beyond the usual I-IV-V prog. I try to use
7th's in places, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I have maybe a dozen
or more lyrics to work up. I've recorded some material that I'm embarrased
of and refuse to record anything else untill I can do them justice. Been
playing electric just short of two years, acoustic for about 6 months. Lately
my electrics don't get much play, 'cause my teacher is becoming a huge
influence on me. (She's a singer/frontperson/acoustic player)

See? I'm more than just a troll, I'm a thinking and creative person.:wave:

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is a definate flow to it, though I have trouble deciding a key to use

and to try for melodies that go beyond the usual I-IV-V prog. I try to use

7th's in places, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I have maybe a dozen

or more lyrics to work up. I've recorded some material that I'm embarrased

of and refuse to record anything else untill I can do them justice. Been

playing electric just short of two years, acoustic for about 6 months. Lately

my electrics don't get much play, 'cause my teacher is becoming a huge

influence on me. (She's a singer/frontperson/acoustic player)

Nothing wrong with I-IV-V. Sometimes a song just falls into those chords and you gotta let it fall. I've tried to force tunes out of it and ruined the tune.

Another good progression for songwriters is the Rhythm Changes (in C: C Am Dm G for the verses, E A D G for the bridge/chorus). You can spice those up with 7ths, 9ths, sub 'em out for whatever your ear says works. Switch 'em, swap 'em, mix 'em with the blues changes (I-IV-V) and there's plenty of paths to walk your melody through.

Those two progressions, I-IV-V and the Rhythm Changes, have had so many different melodies and lyrics placed over them that it really boggles the mind and ear. You'd think folks would run out of things to do with them.

By the way, I like that last verse. Seems like it has the meat of the meaning of the lyric imo. "Hot days of mad laughter" is a good line.

• Members

Nothing wrong with I-IV-V. Sometimes a song just falls into those chords and you gotta let it fall. I've tried to force tunes out of it and ruined the tune.

Another good progression for songwriters is the Rhythm Changes (in C: C Am Dm G for the verses, E A D G for the bridge/chorus). You can spice those up with 7ths, 9ths, sub 'em out for whatever your ear says works. Switch 'em, swap 'em, mix 'em with the blues changes (I-IV-V) and there's plenty of paths to walk your melody through.

Those two progressions, I-IV-V and the Rhythm Changes, have had so many different melodies and lyrics placed over them that it really boggles the mind and ear. You'd think folks would run out of things to do with them.

By the way, I like that last verse. Seems like it has the meat of the meaning of the lyric imo. "Hot days of mad laughter" is a good line.

Thanks, I tried to finish it off and tie it together with a strong ending.

It's 'prolly a bit influenced by Syd Barrett, one of my favorites. Also, I tried

to use references to color to invoke imagery.

• Members

There is a struggle going on to decide what kind of place this should be. There are those of us who believe that we have found an oasis of civility and a true community of people who care about and are willing to support one another. We are willing to fight to hold onto what we have here. Some folks seem to feel threatened by the concepts of restraint, civility and boundaries.

Not even close. There's no real struggle going on. Just a few people in a clique who think that "restraint civility and boundaries" means that nobody should offend them. These people haven't yet learned the meaning of terms such as "diversity" or "tolerance". They like to think that the universe should work according to their own narrow views and that people who act in ways that are outside that view are somehow inherently offensive and should be either banned or fed to the dogs. Astoundingly, they see themselves as noble upholders of civility rather than petty would be suzerains that others see them as.

• Members

Not even close. There's no real struggle going on. Just a few people in a clique who think that "restraint civility and boundaries" means that nobody should offend them. These people haven't yet learned the meaning of terms such as "diversity" or "tolerance". They like to think that the universe should work according to their own narrow views and that people who act in ways that are outside that view are somehow inherently offensive and should be either banned or fed to the dogs. Astoundingly, they see themselves as noble upholders of civility rather than petty would be suzerains that others see them as.

Stupid post.

• Members

Ooh,, now we're into name calling. What comes next oh paragon of restraint and civility? Gonna sick Samilyn's dogs on me?

Simple solution: Stop acting like an asshole.

Seriously, all you do is make constant negative comments.

You used to be a decent poster.

• Members

Simple solution: Stop acting like an asshole.

Seriously, all you do is make constant negative comments.

You used to be a decent poster.

Actually if you'd bother to read my posts in this thread you'll find lots of non-negative ones. Even my most recent post responding BBF is no more negative than the post I responded to. Your recent posts have devolved to mere negativity and name calling. I suggest you take a few deep breaths and get beyond your anger and frustration. I'm not going to make generalization about you based on your recent responses, I suspect you still have a lot to say. But I think you would be well served to try to find a less pubescent way of expressing yourself. Name calling really doesn't get us anywhere.

• Members

Actually if you'd bother to read my posts in this thread you'll find lots of non-negative ones. Even my most recent post responding BBF is no more negative than the post I responded to. Your recent posts have devolved to mere negativity and name calling. I suggest you take a few deep breaths and get beyond your anger and frustration. I'm not going to make generalization about you based on your recent responses, I suspect you still have a lot to say. But I think you would be well served to try to find a less pubescent way of expressing yourself. Name calling really doesn't get us anywhere.

Anger and frustration are not emotions I encounter when dealing with you.

Why do I need to be angry to tell you how I feel? I am perfectly relaxed.

Why would I be frustrated? My keyboard works fine. I am having no problem expressing myself.

:poke:

• Members

Anger and frustration are not emotions I encounter when dealing with you.

Why do I need to be angry to tell you how I feel? I am perfectly relaxed.

Why would I be frustrated? My keyboard works fine. I am having no problem expressing myself.

:poke:

Did you care for my lyrics, BTW?

• Members
I'm working on them. Soon they will welcome us with open arms and

wet kisses.
:love:

LOL - only if you've had all your shots! :love:

;)

Seriously, though - I've been following those threads about the guy with the Les Paul and the busted neck and see close parallels with what the folks have done here. In fact, it's almost exactly what we did for the Psalm 19 society. The age bracket seems to be the only difference. Hopefully we'll all see eye to eye eventually. If not, then like I said there are other forums with different "atomspheres."

Archived