Bye Bye

Samilyn

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FWIW, I was teh banned from Democratic underground after six posts and
teh banned from Freepers after only one post.
(Damned Christofascists!)

Otherwise, I'm usually a "fair-haired boy" on other less tolerant forums. You'd
'prolly not even recognize me on them.:)

• Members
you guys are incredibly uptight. i'd say more, but you'd probably just ignore what i have to say, since you get offended so easily. my advice is to stop taking everything so seriously, especially on the internet.

:o

much obliged for your sage and cogent advice, and pointing out the error of our ways. If only you had come along earlier shining the light of truth, perhaps saving us from ourselves so much sooner.
I think I speak for everyone when I say we're all certain the world is a much better place now thanks to you setting us straight here.
This should pretty much free you up to go to work on that cold fusion project and finding a cure for the common cold.

• Members

much obliged for your sage and cogent advice, and pointing out the error of our ways. If only you had come along earlier shining the light of truth, perhaps saving us from ourselves so much sooner.

I think I speak for everyone when I say we're all certain the world is a much better place now thanks to you setting us straight here.

This should pretty much free you up to go to work on that cold fusion project and finding a cure for the common cold.

Is this sarcasm? IMO, this corner of HC forums does seem a bit intolerant.

Is there any valid reason for this? Honest question here.

• Members

Don't bother asking - it's just what it is. I've been a "member" and posting to this forum longer than any of the ruling jihadis, and over the past eight years, it's ebbed and flowed a lot. Sometimes, it's pretty mellow, other times it gets dominated by a few folks who think they own the place.

• Members

I think anyone who sets out to antagonize a bunch of strangers on an obscure internet forum must be not only unbelievably brave (for it is a rare soul who possesses sufficient courage to annoy people from hundreds or thousands of miles away under the cover of internet anonymity), but also highly accomplished and emotionally sophisticated. I should not leave out the quality of singularity in my praise of such underground daredevils. The hackneyed approach of the common adult, on perceiving an affront or offense, is direct confrontation of those immediately responsible. The internet hero, by contrast, takes the less pedestrian course of storing up abuses over several years or decades and then lashing out from a safe anonymous distance under the pretense of principled indignation.

I have to disagree with the characterization of such people as "trolls." These are not merely angry unfulfilled little boys acting out against strangers who have nothing to do with their misfortunes. No. They are lions for the cause of free expression.

• Members

There is a struggle going on to decide what kind of place this should be. There are those of us who believe that we have found an oasis of civility and a true community of people who care about and are willing to support one another. We are willing to fight to hold onto what we have here. Some folks seem to feel threatened by the concepts of restraint, civility and boundaries. I have no use for those folks if they don't want to try and get civilized. There is an almost infinite number of sites on the web where the trolls can go and spew their childish crap. There are precious few places like this one. Some consider me anal, uptight, controlling, judgmental, intolerant etc. for holding these views. That's fine with me. To those folks I say, "Have a nice day." Preferably somewhere else, thank you.

• Members

I think anyone who sets out to antagonize a bunch of strangers on an obscure internet forum must be not only unbelievably brave (for it is a rare soul who possesses sufficient courage to annoy people from hundreds or thousands of miles away under the cover of internet anonymity), but also highly accomplished and emotionally sophisticated. I should not leave out the quality of singularity in my praise of such underground daredevils. The hackneyed approach of the common adult, on perceiving an affront or offense, is direct confrontation of those immediately responsible. The internet hero, by contrast, takes the less pedestrian course of storing up abuses over several years or decades and then lashing out from a safe anonymous distance under the pretense of principled indignation.

I have to disagree with the characterization of such people as "trolls." These are not merely angry unfulfilled little boys acting out against strangers who have nothing to do with their misfortunes. No. They are lions for the cause of free expression.

God, I wish I could write like you!

• Members
There is a struggle going on to decide what kind of place this should be. There are those of us who believe that we have found an oasis of civility and a true community of people who care about and are willing to support one another. We are willing to fight to hold onto what we have here. Some folks seem to feel threatened by the concepts or restraint, civility and boundaries. I have no use for those folks if they don't want to try and get civilized. There is an almost infinite number of sites on the web where the trolls can go and spew their childish crap. There are precious few places like this one. Some consider me anal, uptight, controlling, judgmental, intolerant etc. for holding these views. That's fine with me. To those folks I say, "Have a nice day." Preferably somewhere else, thank you.

Honestly, it's been my experience that strictly moderated guitar forums are
far more prevelant on the internet, than the free-wheeling HC type. I do
belong to many and do abide by whatever rule set they may have. HC is
one of the few places where you can let your hair down and have some
fun. I don't see anything wrong with that.:)

• Members

What you're doing here is taking the "Neocon approach" to the internet.

Meaning that anyone who does not share your values is an antagonist and

potential enemy. This is a very narrow mindset and I do hope your kind

does not ever control free speech in any manner. Who's acting out anything?

I'd say you are, with all due respect. A bit of comedy never killed anybody.

Intolerance has killed millions. Take it or leave it, there you have it.

• Members

What you're doing here is taking the "Neocon approach" to the internet.

Meaning that anyone who does not share your values is an antagonist and

potential enemy. This is a very narrow mindset and I do hope your kind

does not ever control free speech in any manner. Who's acting out anything?

I'd say you are, with all due respect. A bit of comedy never killed anybody.

Intolerance has killed millions. Take it or leave it, there you have it.

Hey good for you! Now instead of being just an insufferable child who is determined to bring what he thinks is "comedy" into a forum where it is clearly not welcome, you now add Political invective.

Why don't you just go away. You really don't belong in the company of grown-ups.

• Members
Hey good for you! Now instead of being just an insufferable child who is determined to bring what he thinks is "comedy" into a forum where it is clearly not welcome, you now add Political invective.

Why don't you just go away. You really don't belong in the company of grown-ups.

For the sake of clarity, just whom are you to say what is and what is not
welcome? Are you an owner or admin? My post was well-thought out and
reasonable. There was no "troll" content whatsoever.:confused:

Perhaps you belong on Clearchannel radio, rather than HC?
Fortunately, it is not my place to determine that. ;)

• Members

There is a struggle going on to decide what kind of place this should be.

I say bullcrap! I've been here about as long as this place has existed (check my stats - it's almost eight years - and any struggle you may perceive really only exists in your own minds. The cast of characters evolves, ebbs and flows, and always will. We really don't need self-appointed arbiters around here. That's what I mean by my 'thought police' comments.

• Members

I say bullcrap! I've been here about as long as this place has existed (check my stats - it's almost eight years - and any struggle you may perceive really only exists in your own minds. The cast of characters evolves, ebbs and flows, and always will. We really don't need self-appointed arbiters around here. That's what I mean by my 'thought police' comments.

You deny that there is a struggle going on while you fight to maintain an anything goes culture. A tad contradictory, don't you think? Oops, my bad, it is clear that you don't.

• Members

Well, at least I see that the totalitarian collectivists aren't really in control
here at all. That's a good thing.:)

On a completely off-topic note, I play a LOT of acoustic guitar. This is
because my teacher only plays acoustic, so if I've offended anyone that
is not of the "iron fist" mentality, my apologies. Perhaps I might learn a
few things from some of the less intellectually limited people here. I write
a lot of lyrics, but can't seem to put together any great melodies as of yet.
At least if nothing else, I've found out who is creative here and who is
of a restricted mindset.

• Members

baba, whale, Queg, etc...

Just hit the ignore button and move on. This guy has clearly demonstrated only his enthusiasm for controversy and nothing more. He is not a force to be reckoned with nor has he demonstrated new or original insight. Additionally, denying that he is a troll, does not change the fact. He is trolling. All anyone has to do is take time to read the thread and it obviously and clearly demonstrates a clear pattern of behavior.

Take yourselves away from it and he eventually disappears. He can go back to where he came from and can claim a huge intellectual victory over the losers on the HCAG--albeit, a party of one. He can determine to be a legend in his own mind. I can live with that. Actually, I consider it sadly humorous.

RT1

• Members
Well, at least I see that the totalitarian collectivists aren't really in control

here at all. That's a good thing.
:)

On a completely off-topic note, I play a LOT of acoustic guitar. This is

because my teacher only plays acoustic, so if I've offended anyone that

is not of the "iron fist" mentality, my apologies. Perhaps I might learn a

few things from some of the less intellectually limited people here. I write

a lot of lyrics, but can't seem to put together any great melodies as of yet.

At least if nothing else, I've found out who is creative here and who is

of a restricted mindset.

IMO it's easier to write on acoustic (I'm a nylon guy myself, prefer slotheads and no bridge pins and zero frets on my steel strings--just picky, ya know).

As far as writing goes, it seems like a word or two and the melody show up at the same time for me. If I write out the lyrics first, it's a bit more of a struggle to come up with the melody.

What's your main acoustic?

• Members

IMO it's easier to write on acoustic (I'm a nylon guy myself, prefer slotheads and no bridge pins and zero frets on my steel strings--just picky, ya know).

As far as writing goes, it seems like a word or two and the melody show up at the same time for me. If I write out the lyrics first, it's a bit more of a struggle to come up with the melody.

What's your main acoustic?

At the moment an old Aria AW-125, 'prolly circa early 1980's. Also have an

Ovation Celebrity A/E.

Archived