Leon Redbone Appreciation Thread

Stackabones

• Members

lredbone2.jpg

A friend of mine told me that at one of his shows he had a glass of red wine next to him. He took sips of it between tunes. By the time, he took the final sip ... the show was over.

[YOUTUBE]_-IvHBdgALA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0AB2UXJakM0[/YOUTUBE]

Lately, On The Track has been on my heavy rotation playlist.

Any stories, etc?

• Members

A lot of people just know him as the guy who was in all those Budweiser commercials but he was my reason I took up guitar. I saw him on Saturday Night Live as a kid and I was amazed how just one guy with an acoustic singinging could be a whole show like that. This was sometime in the mid to late 70's.

• Members
A lot of people just know him as the guy who was in all those Budweiser commercials but he was my reason I took up guitar. I saw him on Saturday Night Live as a kid and I was amazed how just one guy with an acoustic singinging could be a whole show like that. This was sometime in the mid to late 70's.

:cop:It looks like the copywrite police for SNL had those 1977 performances removed from YouTube. :cry:

Hey...that's ok because he also appeared on ALF's talkshow..:freak:
[YOUTUBE]mTMKvNsMm3c[/YOUTUBE]

Here's Leon playing a little all mahogany Martin. :)
[YOUTUBE]Sg4HUFSZsxE[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I love that guy...I have seen him twice in the last two years. He really grows on you. He performes regularly at the TAMPA theatre and is usually accompanied by a pianist, bass and a tuba/horn player. Don't know about the wine thing. But when he's done playing, he just leaves. No encore, nothing. Kinda wierd.
Check this place out...I'm a supporting member. It's a great organization. Steven Stills performed there this past year.
http://www.tampatheatre.org/

• Members
I love that guy...I have seen him twice in the last two years. He really grows on you. He performes regularly at the TAMPA theatre and is usually accompanied by a pianist, bass and a tuba/horn player. Don't know about the wine thing. But when he's done playing, he just leaves. No encore, nothing. Kinda wierd.

Yes...he's known as a bit "eccentric". He has never publicly revealed his real age or were he was born. It is only vaguely known that he lives somewhere in Pennsylvania and is married to his manager (who is an important Jazz producer) and they have a child. Some people think he is from Canada because he first appeared in Toronto in the early 1970's.
I'd like to see him live in concert one day.:)

• Members
Yes...he's known as a bit "eccentric". He has never publicly revealed his real age or were he was born. It is only vaguely known that he lives somewhere in Pennsylvania and is married to his manager (who is an important Jazz producer) and they have a child. Some people think he is from Canada because he first appeared in Toronto in the early 1970's.

I'd like to see him live in concert one day.
:)

This might help:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/224606

• Members
This might help:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/224606

That show they mention with Madeleine Peyroux would have been something else. She's a remarkable musician as well.

Cool quote ...

"Very little of my life goes into my music," he explains. "I've never considered myself the proper focus of attention. I'm just a vehicle ... not so much for the particular kind of music I prefer, music from an earlier time, as for a mood that music conveys."

:thu:

• Members

Nice looking petite bouche! That's gotta be back in the pre-current GJ boom days.
;)
Probably a real Selmer?

I don't think so. The tail piece bridge and headstock don't look right and transitional shape of the lower bout doesn't look right to be a Selmer though I gotta admit I've only seen a couple.

• Members

I love that guy...I have seen him twice in the last two years. He really grows on you. He performes regularly at the TBPA and is usually accompanied by a pianist, bass and a tuba/horn player. Don't know about the wine thing. But when he's done playing, he just leaves. No encore, nothing. Kinda wierd.

Check this place out...I'm a supporting member. It's a great organization. Steven Stills performed there this past year.

Checked my schedule...I saw Leon at the TBPA theatre not the Tampa theatre. Sorry. I go to both pretty often, buy the Tampa theatre more often.

Either way, Tampa theatre rocks.

• Members

The clips have been fun, thanks everyone. I saw him years ago (maybe 20) at a little club in Seattle and have jut one record, I think it is called Red White and the Blues or something like that. I'm getting ready to digitize a bunch of my old vinyl - gotta remember to do that one.

Hey Freeman, ever see this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882698005&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL011708&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL011708-_-ElectronicGadgets-_-E3R-_-82698005

I'm thinking about picking one up to start converting my collection. What's your take on it? Think the quality would be ok?

• Members

I saw him in nyc. maybe CBGBs or some similar place in the village. he was backed up by a horn section. the horn players were all 70+. sensational show back in 84ish.
about that time he did a radio interview with dave herman on alt rock radio. he wasnt speaking much and dave had to describe what leon was wearing to fill air space. dave asked him what he thought about how rock has evolved from the music leon is playing. leon said "there aint been a good song written since 1931" then he left.

• Members

I saw him in nyc. maybe CBGBs or some similar place in the village. he was backed up by a horn section. the horn players were all 70+. sensational show back in 84ish.

about that time he did a radio interview with dave herman on alt rock radio. he wasnt speaking much and dave had to describe what leon was wearing to fill air space. dave asked him what he thought about how rock has evolved from the music leon is playing. leon said "there aint been a good song written since 1931" then he left.

Maybe he's a shy guy or something.

Archived