I feel a bit of a Two-Timer

Glenn F

• Members

My first solid wood guitar that I ever owned is my Taylor 310 dreadnought. When I bought this guitar in 2001, I thought it was about the best sounding acoustic guitar in the shop, including a few Martins, and higher end Taylors. I chose this particular guitar out of four 310s they had in stock, and it sounded as good as, or better than the 5,6, 7xx level Taylors. I also briefly tried a Martin D-15, but the strings were completely dead, and it therefore had absolutely no appeal to me. It looked cheap, and sounded terrible.

Then I tried a couple last fall, and bought one just before Christmas. I won't go over my trials and tribulations regarding my attempt to get a 000-15, and getting the D-15 set up correctly. It has been a headache. But now, the D-15 is set up almost flawlessly, maybe another .1 mm to be shaved off the saddle.

I confess: I think I prefer the tone of the D-15 to the 310. I am using Elixir PB nano Med-Lights on it (actually, both), and the tone makes me happy every time I play it. It doesn't play quite as easily as the Taylor, but it has a richer tone with more 'oomph' on the bottom end than the 310.

So, now I know what the fuss is about Martin guitars. There's a good chance my next one will be a OM-21, because I want a smaller body acoustic, don't want a Taylor x14, and I've read mixed reviews of the Guild GADs.

Needless to say, my 310 is feeling a little abandoned.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

I wouldn't worry about it.. You'll got back to the Taylor with new appreciation. New guitars always get more attention but in my experience after the new guitar smell goes away you start seeing the advantages of each of the guitars and enjoying both more. I just bought a Blueridge and haven't touched my Martin for two weeks.

• Members

Though I'm not a Martin lunatic and don't own one, I'm not a Taylor fan at all. I've played only one that really impressed me so it's my feeling that the Taylor will be relegated to back up status for the time you need that particular sound for a session.

• Members

There's a good chance my next one will be a OM-21, because I want a smaller body acoustic

Glenn

I have had my OM-21 for two years now and every time I pick it up I marvel at the sound. Putting 12's on it really makes it come alive, when my fingers are up to it.

• Members

Feeling like a Two-Timer?

Not to worry, you're in good company here!
:D

eightguitars.jpg

If I am a Two-Timer, you're a gigolo!:cop:

I have, at last count, 13 guitars (4 are up for sale, but having little luck). The issue here is that the Taylor was my only dreadnought. Now I have two, and I prefer the new one!

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members

My first solid wood guitar that I ever owned is my Taylor 310 dreadnought. When I bought this guitar in 2001, I thought it was about the best sounding acoustic guitar in the shop, including a few Martins, and higher end Taylors. I chose this particular guitar out of four 310s they had in stock, and it sounded as good as, or better than the 5,6, 7xx level Taylors. I also briefly tried a Martin D-15, but the strings were completely dead, and it therefore had absolutely no appeal to me. It looked cheap, and sounded terrible.

Then I tried a couple last fall, and bought one just before Christmas. I won't go over my trials and tribulations regarding my attempt to get a 000-15, and getting the D-15 set up correctly. It has been a headache. But now, the D-15 is set up almost flawlessly, maybe another .1 mm to be shaved off the saddle.

I confess: I think I prefer the tone of the D-15 to the 310. I am using Elixir PB nano Med-Lights on it (actually, both), and the tone makes me happy every time I play it. It doesn't play quite as easily as the Taylor, but it has a richer tone with more 'oomph' on the bottom end than the 310.

So, now I know what the fuss is about Martin guitars. There's a good chance my next one will be a OM-21, because I want a smaller body acoustic, don't want a Taylor x14, and I've read mixed reviews of the Guild GADs.

Needless to say, my 310 is feeling a little abandoned.

Cheers,

Glenn

don't fell bad about not playing one guitar for a while and letting it sit

I have many that may sit for a while depending on my needs and what I'm looking for. Here's my instrument list

Acoustic Instruments

Gibson J 45

Gibson J 185

Martin MC28

Martin 000-16RGT

Martin 000-16RGT with cutaway and blender

Dobro DF 60

Dobro 33H

Mandolin Flatiron A model

Electric Guitars

Gibson

Les paul

SG

ES -335

ES -135

76 Fender Strat

Am. Standard Strat

57 Reissue Strat

62 Reissues Strat

52 Reissue Tele

62 Reissue Tele

Rickenbacker 330

Rickenbacker 620

Paul Reed Smith (Custom 22)

Bass Guitars

Fender American Jazz Standard

Fender American Jazz Deluxe

Amps

Fender Twin Reverb

Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Marshal lJCM 800 2x12 combo

Mesa Boogie Maverick (class A amp)

Mesa Boogie Tremoverb (discontinued, but very cool)

Mesa Boogie 1x12 Nomad

Mesa Boogie 1x12 Single rectifier w/ 1x2 rectifer cab

Ashdown ABM 500 4x10 combo

SWR California Blonde

Fishman Loudbox 130

Vox AC15cc

Fender Blues Jr Special Edition

not to mention the recording gear and the stuff I have sold.

Some guitars have been with for 20 plus year , some even long than that.

You could have pissed way you money on cheap booze and cigarettes, or a nice drug habit and had nothing to show for it.

on the note Taylors sound great out of the box, I owned a 414CE, but sold it to buy another Martin. I had issues with the thinner necks on my Taylor. Elixer strings wear like iron, which is great if you gigging 2-3 times a week, but they tone is not as sweet as even the coated D'Addarios' or other brands of coated string.

Playing music is what I do pretty much through out the day, I do have a regular job too, but besides watching the news,I couldn't tell you the last time I turned on the TV. Enjoy the awesome dirty habit.

• Members

Glenn, I think thats the Martie on both your clips? I happen to like it.

And "Riff's harem" - I like that too. What are the two lonely paddleheads hiding in the corner?

Yep, that's the D-15. Those clips are just sort of a way of my wife and I 'getting our feet wet' recording together (AND, she has a much better voice than I). I have an original in the works that will be quite elaborate, and we will hopefully finish it this month. I found that the mic that sounded great on the D-15 for fingerpicking (AKG-451B) 'Mad World,' sounds too bright for the strumming on 'Farewell Angelina, so we may re-do that sometime.

That is QUITE the guitar collection, Mikeo! :)

On another note, my Luthier just dropped my SG Junior off this morning (it needed fret dressing and a general setup). Like Riffmeister said, it's like another NGD!:cool:

Cheers,

Glenn

PS, I just wanted to say a word about the luthier who's been taking care of my babies. The man is a master craftsman, been working with guitars for over 30 years, and is a really nice guy. He lives a fair bit out of town, and because he was in town this morning, he dropped the Gibson off. He doesn't have to do that. Also, we took the D-15 and the SG to him on Monday: The D-15 needed the saddle sanded a bit more, and the nut at the B string filed a bit. He did that on the spot, and didn't charge me, and did a great job on the SG at a very fair price, AND brought the guitar to us. He does the work for the 6-7 shops in the area, and so isn't lacking for work. His workshop was wall to wall customers' guitars, and he still went out of his way to get my Gibson back to me in 5 days. It really is a privilege to have someone like that close by. I just hope he doesn't retire soon!

Archived