Since we're critiquing originals here,

kwakatak

• Members

Thanks, Riff. I wrote Blow Away Today when I was 19, single and worried about having a whole scary world ahead of me. I only mention it because writing songs is a great way of keeping track of life as it slips by.

Thanks OGP.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

....what exactly is the HCAG Annex?......

The Annex is the local repository of various information concerning guitars, styles, how tos.. Pretty much anything.. It also has a section dedicated to the musical talent that vists here.

It is located here: Annex - If I am not mistaken, Freeman Keller keeps it organized? You ought to upload your stuff there.

• Members

This man on the other hand is as far as I am concerned the greatest songwriter of the last 20 years. He sure ain't pretty...and sure he can be an outspoken asshole at times and did time for a serious drug problem but that makes me love him even more...

This is clearly a matter of personal taste. I had never heard of either of those artists, but if they both played the same night at the same time and I had to chose between which show I was gonna watch, I'd be checking out Keith's show..

And it has nothing to do with possibly catching a glimpse of Nicole.. LOL

• Members
This is clearly a matter of personal taste.

Exactly...and very good point. From what little I have just seen, of Keith Urban thouugh I find to be a little too slick, too "industry friendly"...too "pop" music oriented..which is perfectly fine if you that's your thing. It never was mine. I was always more into the "outlaw" side of country music....Johnny Cash, Gram Parsons, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson...etc..Of course I love Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and all those cats. I had to because I had to learn to play their music.

In the 80's I also enjoyed groups like "The Beat Farmers", "The Bodeans" "Jason & The Scorchers", "Mojo Nixon"...etc. These groups are practically unkown in the world but they made some of the best kickass country rock around during those years...

I do have a little knowledge of country music (on a local scale) as I played lead guitar and was part of a songwriting team in a popular kind of traditional Country Rock duo/band for a few years. This was when I was much younger, skinnier and better looking....;) I even took the trip to Nashville...checked out Tootsies, The Rhyman Theatre, Ernest Tubbs Record Store..:D

What finally brought the partnership to an end for me was the commercial and business direction it was going...something I didn't like. So...we split.

Sooo..anyhow...that's kinda why I don't get the Keith Urban thing...but too each his own. :D

:wave:

• Members

Tommy Emmanuel
is
in Nashville. I mean that's where he lives.

Kwak, sounds great. Bittersweet melancholia, for sure, but very well played.

That would be a fun one to arrange, too, with mando and bass. But it works very nicely as solo guitar. Good one, man.
:thu:

I know, but his music didn't go to the way of Nashville country. ;)

I do find it interesting that Kwak is drawing inspiration from 2 Australian fellas that moved to Nashville. :thu:

Contrary to what OGP thinks, Keith Urban is his own creation. He writes his own material.

• Members
http://media.putfile.com/ThanToHaveNeverLovedAtAll-V2

I dig it! So, when ya think you'll put the lyrics on it? An interesting aside ... I've been working on song with a similar title. Are you bugging my brain? Maybe I'm bugging yours? :D

Another aside ... lots of good posts in here ... :whisper: some would make really great threads on their own. :)

• Members
Another aside ... lots of good posts in here ...
:whisper:
some would make really great threads on their own.
:)

Quite right. My apologies, I drifted with the conversation.

@kwakatak: I did listen, and got side tracked. Very nice indeed. Also a very good sounding recording, wish I could approach that quality with my attempts. My own personal opinion on Lyrics would be skip it, I believe that tune stands on it's own merits. I've always been a fan of Acoustic instrumentals.

• Members
I know, but his music didn't go to the way of Nashville country.
;)

I do find it interesting that Kwak is drawing inspiration from 2 Australian fellas that moved to Nashville.

Contrary to what OGP thinks, Keith Urban is his own creation. He writes his own material.

Thanks yes I am aware that Keith Urban writes his own material. I am not denying that the man has talent. Nobody mantains that kind of popularity in the entertainment industry without brains, dedication, very hard work and being creatively talented....but that type of "country music" will never be my cup of tea.

It's ok...he is just one of many other popular music performers that I don't enjoy listening to. That's what makes us all individual. :D

• Members

Thanks, folks,

I think this may get scrapped though - or at least undergo a major rewrite. I just rediscovered another song that I used to love listening to and though it wasn't my intention it's very similar to this one that I'm working on. I hate to plagiarize even if it wasn't my intention, so it's back to the drawing board.

This is a great song in its own rite: Bruce Springsteen's "You're Missing" from 2002's album The Rising originally in F major, but performed here in G major:

lwuO7TjttwQ

Apologies to all.

• Members

I think this may get scrapped though - or at least undergo a major rewrite. I just rediscovered another song that I used to love listening to and though it wasn't my intention it's very similar to this one that I'm working on. I hate to plagiarize even if it wasn't my intention, so it's back to the drawing board.

I don't know, Neil. The base runs are certainly similar, but I do not believe I would elevate it to the plagiarize level. Your tune demonstrates significantly more depth and pattern change ups than the clip you just posted of Springsteen's tune.

As some else mentioned in this very thread, truly original work is difficult in today's world. You really have to go off the beaten path to insure zero comparison to another tune.

Furthermore, tossing a melody onto that will likely even further remove it from the Springsteen tune. You did mention this was a work in progress, no?

I have written several snippets of guitar work that in some sections are very reminiscent of existing tunes. I don't think it can be helped, especially true if your tastes dictate following a specific genre of music.

• Members
No apologies needed, Neil. Influences are strong and usually quite latent.

Yeah, damn that Nils Lofgren for being so f@#&-in' good! :mad:

;)

All's not lost I suppose. I really want to see this through because there's a true story behind my song that needs to be put into verse. The music is secondary and has been in flux as the lyrics have been shaping up. I suppose I should at least say why I feel this song is important and where I'm going with it, though.

It's a tribute to my late uncle on my mother's side who passed away a couple of years ago under some pretty sad circumstances. To make and somewhat personal story short, he was stationed in Okinawa during the 1950s and fell in love with a local girl. They wanted to get married but couldn't get permission from either family so they had to part ways and he returned to the States once his tour was up. He found out later that she married someone else and it pretty much broke him. My mother described a much different person in their youth from the unkempt recluse I knew firsthand.

Like I said, his death was a pretty empty one. He'd been avoiding the rest of the family for years and one day my mom got the call from the coroner because she was listed a next of kin. He lived with a family as a boarder for a number of years and she got in touch with them in order to clean out his personal effects from the room in their house. He had no family or heirs of his own so it went to her. Pretty much everything he owned was in shoe boxes and little of it was of any real worth. There were some old 8mm movies of the family during the 1960s but that was about it as far as sentimental heirlooms go. IMO that was no way to be remembered.

My mom always compared the two of us and after his death when she divulged the story about the girl in Okinawa. We were never close but after that I felt as if I understood him better and wanted to do something in tribute if nobody else in the family would.

Getting back to the song though, I was looking to do this whole arrangement and wanted to tie in some references to Okinawan culture of the time period. I wanted to touch upon the conflict between their two cultures and perhaps even some imagery to describe the setting. I even went so far as to research the local music and was curious to see how the main them (0:22 in the recording) would sound on the Okinawan sanshin or Japanese shamisen (which are the 3-stringed equivalent of the banjo.)

• Members

I found the sheet music for this one in a desk drawer, where I'd put it about 30 years ago...it was stored away with a bunch stuff that had been sent off for copyright....in a pile of songs that I had forgotten about completely....did this scratch recording yesterday.....

Your delivery/phrasing has hints of Cat Stevens, though your tone is a bit different. Pretty cool imo.

I love finding forgotten original tunes. You can almost make a stronger assessment of the tune ... feels like it was written by a different person, which I guess in a sense it was. Horace was on to something when he recommended that we stash our work for nine years before putting it out to the public.

• Members

I came up with a snippet of a rehash of the main them with the intent of building upon the Okinawan affectation. For this task I reached for my MIJ Takamine and it didn't steer me wrong. I don't know if it's original but it feels closer to what I originally envisioned: a piece set in Okinawa during simpler times. I Googled "Japanese Banjo" and listened to sound clips in the search results and tried to approximate the technique pm my Eastern-made, Western-designed instrument:

http://media.putfile.com/Than-To-Have-Never-Loved-At-All---Okinawan-theme-snippet

I like it but I'm kind of attached to it. What do you guys think?

• Members

I came up with a snippet of a rehash of the main them with the intent of building upon the Okinawan affectation. For this task I reached for my MIJ Takamine and it didn't steer me wrong. I don't know if it's original but it feels closer to what I originally envisioned: a piece set in Okinawa during simpler times. I Googled "Japanese Banjo" and listened to sound clips in the search results and tried to approximate the technique pm my Eastern-made, Western-designed instrument:

I like it but I'm kind of attached to it. What do you guys think?

I really like it. I listened to it before reading the rest of your post and thought there was a deliberately brittle quality to the tone. I was also wondering how you got such a nice vibrato in the midst of your arpeggios. After reading your description I think it all fits together with your concept -- very well executed. It practically sets the stage for a good shakuhachi solo...

(For other Mac users with Flip4Mac, the playback bar was partly invisible and I had to click around on it to make it fully appear. But at first it does seem like it's not loading at all.)

Archived