Good Acoustic for Under $300

matt28

• Members

Hi I was wondering if you guys had any recomendations on a decent sounding acoustic for under $300. (what I mean by under 300 is around 200 with a max of 300) The only limitations for me are that it must have a cutaway and it must be grand concert size. I wouldn't mind having an acoustic electric either although I don't really need it.

I am looking to find a guitar that is good to just practice tons of scales on around the house instead of having to warm up my tube amp everytime I want to play scales. I just want a simpler way to be able to play. I also want and acoustic guitar for the differant sound.

The guitar that I'm looking at right now is the Ibanez AEG20E. I found this guitar by going to guitar center and playing their guitars for 1 and 30 mins. I got guidance from one of the guys there but I think that he had a bias towards Ibanez guitars. I like this guitar but I was wondering if you guys knew of any other ones out there that are worth trying out. I am also looking at the Ovation Celebrity but am not too into it. I would need a rave review to convince me to buy it.

Thanks for all your help and reading this long post. :)

• Members

Hi Matt,

I don't have any experience with Ibanez acoustics, but if a salesman at GC is pushing one your way my instincts would tell me that this has more to do with their inventory than your best interest. Or I could be completely wrong (I am completely wrong about at least five or six things a day). Either way, if you tried one out and liked it, that is all that matters. In your price range, I have heard a lot of good things about Alvarez and Washburn.

• Members

I just looked at the specs on that Ibanez (I hadn't noticed the "E" at the end of the model number). Unless you are planning to play your acoustic plugged in, you may also want to consider getting something without any electronics. You will get more guitar for your money, and you can add a pickup anytime you want later on.

• Members

yea i agree with you about getting just acoustic because of getting more guitar for my money. i kno wat u mean. the only problem is that i need something with a cutaway and most acoustics in that price range don't have a cutaway.

• Members

The best thing you can do is play everything that meets your criteria, including price, and choose the one that sounds the best and plays well. You can always have one that sounds like you want it to but has action that's a bit high lowered to fit how you play but you can't change the tone.

While doing that, forget about the name on the headstock.

• Members

You may want to consider Walden. If you can find a G570 cutaway without built-in electronics, it may fit the bill. The electronics pushes it over your limit.

The cutaway really limits your choices. Do you play a lot above the 12th fret?

Bill

• Members

Ditto what others have said here. Get the best git you can find within your price range, then save up to add decent aftermarket electronics later. You will have a wider range of choices in both the git and the electronics and your end result will be much better.

• Members

You may want to consider Walden. If you can find a G570 cutaway without built-in electronics, it may fit the bill. The electronics pushes it over your limit.

The cutaway really limits your choices. Do you play a lot above the 12th fret?

Bill

I am still thinking about wether it is neccasary for me to get a cutaway but since the main purpose of the guitar would be for practicing scales it would probably be nice to be able to practice them all the way up the neck...

Thanks for all your help everyone!

--Matt

One more question...

Now that I'm realizing how limiting having a cutaway is, how important do you think it is to have a cutaway to practice scales and theory stuff?

• Members

If it was just for scale practise in the house I would say use your main electric but go for a smaller amp to practise on. Scales on an acoustic - particularly a lower end acoustic wont be that enjoyable I suspect, even with a cutaway. I have 2 electro acoustic cutaways (Ibanez AE45 and Yamaha CPX900), both of which are in the mid price range ($800 ish) and even then I find upper fret stuff a chore.

If it's just an acoustic you really want for a different sound, I would go with what's already said and get one without electronics, as you'll get far better value for money - and also don't bother with the cutaway.

For a decent acoustic, in your price range, there's plenty of choice but you won't go wrong with a Yamaha.

There's a few to choose from but the Yamaha FG720S looks to be good one.

• Members

If it was just for scale practise in the house I would say use your main electric but go for a smaller amp to practise on. Scales on an acoustic - particularly a lower end acoustic wont be that enjoyable I suspect, even with a cutaway. I have 2 electro acoustic cutaways (Ibanez AE45 and Yamaha CPX900), both of which are in the mid price range ($800 ish) and even then I find upper fret stuff a chore.

If it's just an acoustic you really want for a different sound, I would go with what's already said and get one without electronics, as you'll get far better value for money - and also don't bother with the cutaway.

For a decent acoustic, in your price range, there's plenty of choice but you won't go wrong with a Yamaha.

There's a few to choose from but the Yamaha FG720S looks to be good one.

Thanks for the advice. That was really helpful. The Yamahas sound good, I've heard many good things about them, but do the come in grand concert size?

Thank you again

Matt

• Members
  • Members

Here are some more acoustics that I thought would be good...

Which one would you reccomend?

Of those four, the Alvarez AF60S wins hands down, IMO. BTW, the Epi and the Rogue are all laminates, while the Fender and Alvarez have solid tops.

Bill

• Members

Agreed that the Alvarez would be the choice of that group. I've never played (or seen) that Rogue, but I'd have serious reservations about it. Cutaways are harder to make and therefore generally more expensive, and electronics add expense as well. Given the ultra-low price, it's hard to imagine that the quality could be any good.

I know that some Rogues have gotten decent reviews, but this one seems to be trying to pack in too much at that price point.

• Members

Of those four, the Alvarez AF60S wins hands down, IMO. . . .

+1 :thu: on the Alvarez. At the lower end, another possibility is the Takamine G440C for $230 if you're willing to live without electronics and a solid top. If you like Ibanez and you're willing to spend $350 or so, look at the AC35ECE, which has a solid top and electronics.

• Members

Alvarez RF20SC

Solid top (Mine's an older model but it looks like Englemann spruce, the newer ones definitely have sitka)

Folk size with cutaway

pickup/preamp with chromatic tuner (it's ok, tuner is good pickup is average, but playable for sure)

1 11/16th, low profile neck

It's been a great all around "beater" guitar. I play it all the time and don't have to worry about it. I think I paid around 180.00 for it on ebay with the alvarez hardshell case! I just found this clip, but I've owned mine awhile..

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Archived