Is $450 for a Martin DM worth it?

jzmit5

• Members

I am missing my guitar and ducked into a local music store. I really liked the ease of playing and sound of the DM but am soooooo unsure about having laminate rather than real wood.

Do you think it is better to find a vintage real wood Martin I can afford when I get home or is this a great deal?

The other question is was the salesman pulling my leg when he said it is better to find a guitar you like and add the electric to it or if I want an electric-acoustic should I find one of those locally?

Thanks and thanks for the link someone had to your tech site, I learned a lot from it.

• Members

Its a little on the high side for a DM, but not bad. It should have a hardshell case with it at that price. DMs do play very nice, and the top is solid wood, but the rest is laminate. I had one for years as a back up for my D28. It isn't as bright as the D28 but has excellent sound. Some listeners have said they liked it better than the D28. I really liked it for Travis style picking.

I thought highly enough of it that I gave it to my son several years ago...

• Members

The other question is was the salesman pulling my leg when he said it is better to find a guitar you like and add the electric to it or if I want an electric-acoustic should I find one of those locally?

I'd agree with him. Some folks like to buy the guitar with a pickup already installed. Personally, I've never been able to find an acoustic-electric where I loved both the guitar acoustically and the amplified sound. I've had much better luck buying a guitar I love and putting the pickup I choose into it. Just my opinion though.

• Members

For what it's worth, I agree with the salesman, that is what I recommend as well.

• Members

"If it sounds good, it is good." Duke Ellington.

I have heard some fantastic sounding Ovations and their backs are made of plastic. Guild has used laminates in the backs of some guitars with very good results as well. My favorite guitar is all laminate.

And I agree re: the electronics. You will do much better finding a guitar you like and then adding a good pickup.

Enjoy your new Martin!

• Members

Hi and welcome to HCAG.

I agree with the salesman and usually advise folks to do the same - get a git you love and then get aftermarket electronics.

As for the price of the DM, I agree that's a little high unless it comes with a hardshell case.

As for the DM being laminate - I don't have a problem with that. Laminate is real wood, just several thin sheets of it bonded together, kind of like plywood. So, I think your concern should be "laminate versus solid." I have a "X" series Martin that has lam back and sides with a solid top. It sound never fails to blow me away - fantastic for a low-buck 12-string.

Yeah, vintage all-solid Martins are sweet, but they come at a price. There could also be structural issues with an older git, such as being due for a neck reset, among other things. Unless you really know what to look for, be very careful if you're tempted by a very low price on a vintage git of any make or model.

• Members

I sold a Martin DM last year for 600 dollars and I had originally purchased it used for probably 550. A DM is absolutely worth 450 dollars everyday and all of them were sold with a hardshell case when new, so you should expect to get one. The guitar is very different from the X series where the sides and back are made of High Pressure Laminate (HPL). The laminate wood on the DM is actually quite nice and is easier to take care of than having a solid wood guitar. 450 is too high for a DXM, but not too high at all for DM

• Members

I picked up a used DM a while back (2000 model w/hardshell) I did a lil horse tradin in the deal with a MIM Telecaster + $200 and I thought that was fair.

Great guitar for the $ I think. The mahog smells great and I cant even hear the laminate back and sides. :)

• Members

Thanks so much for all the speedy posts, I will call them and see if it is a DM or DXM, that does make a huge difference in the consideration. Since the salesman told me a new one would be $550, I am thinking it is actually a DXM.

I think the reason it is such a good price is a guitar teacher had purchased it for his students to use but they didn't, it still had pick guard plastic.

My hometown is where Musicians Friend is located, I wonder if they let people come in and try out their gear, THAT would be fun, they have such a range. (Hi, can I try the 31000 Martin and compare it to the 3000 one?? hee hee)

I find our local guitar stores have a lot of epiphones and no-names but I think it is better to save up for what you really want. After trying the Martin, I can see why they are so beloved.

I am glad to know my laminate prejudice is unjust and it does make sense an older guitar could have issues. I better wait and take my brother who's played for years with me.

• Members

I think the reason it is such a good price is a guitar teacher had purchased it for his students to use but they didn't, it still had pick guard plastic.

You've received a lot of good advice and I won't add anything except that statement is a potential red flag. Make sure for that price that the teacher did not register the warranty - it is not transferable and you should be getting one with what is basically a new guitar.

Keep us posted and welcome to the group

• Members

My hometown is where Musicians Friend is located, I wonder if they let people come in and try out their gear, THAT would be fun, they have such a range. (Hi, can I try the 31000 Martin and compare it to the 3000 one?? hee hee)

If you decide to go with the X, just a heads up that Musicians Friend is currently offering free hard shell cases with all of their X series guitars.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?N=100001+705954

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've had a DX1 for five years, and I love that damn thing. It could stand to be brighter, but it has a very inviting tone nonetheless, and plays great. It makes me want to play right now, just thinking of it.

I just discovered that it needs a neck reset, though. The heel is pulling away from the body. It should be covered under the lifetime warranty.

• Members

I won't comment on the guitar itself but many of us prefer to add electronics to an existing guitar. One reason is that you're not left with a "barn door" hole in the side of your guitar, especially if something happens to the existing preamp. In my case, I installed an UST and an endpin preamp. You have to look to see that the guitar has a pickup in it. The only external sign is the endpin jack.

• Members

Well..I just bought a very well used and broken in 10 year old Martin DM with a pickup already installed and it plays and sounds wonderful. It's easily one of the nicest undersaddle pickups I have heard in a long time. The guitar un-amplified has a nice deep tone...not too bright like totamus said. It's the first dread I've played in years that I really like the sound and feel of. If you can get it for $450 I'd say go for it.

Archived