Acoustic Amps

HarleyGator

• Members

An AER Compact 60- they're German, I don't know how much market penetration they have outside of Europe. I'm not his biggest fan, but I've heard that Tommy Emmanuel uses a couple of them on stage.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a bit of an eccentric; I use a Crate Taxi TX-30. It does a reasonable job of amplimafying my voice and guitar, but also has the added benefit of running (for quite a few hours even loud as hell) off of battery power, or 12v DC (i.e. car battery) power. It makes a great stage monitor as well. For sheer versatility, it's tough to beat...

• Members
I'm a bit of an eccentric; I use a Crate Taxi TX-30. It does a reasonable job of amplimafying my voice and guitar, but also has the added benefit of running (for quite a few hours even loud as hell) off of battery power, or 12v DC (i.e. car battery) power. It makes a great stage monitor as well. For sheer versatility, it's tough to beat...

I use my Crate Taxi 30 for all of my small gigs (nursing homes, small cafes, etc.)...you're absolutely right about it's versatility...it's the "Swiss Army Knife" of amplification! :thu:

• Members

Suggestions on a lightweight amp for home practice, has to be under 10 lbs, because of back and neck problems

Thanks

Jim

:poke:

Jeez Jim, 10lb max? Behring's little 15 watter is 11 lbs and probably the lightest of the bunch, other than mini amps.

Ashdown has an ultra light bass amp, the Superfly, that weighs 10 lbs but you'll need a cabinet.

• Members

has the Crate Taxi 30 for under $220.00. Best price I've ever seen for new stock.

It seems the Taxi30 has gone back to the original wood casing (according to that site), like the original version...wonder if there was a problem w/ the injection-molded plastic (newer) versions?

Mine is the older wooden version and has been extremely dependable.

• Members

Mine is the wood, too. Actually, I'm a little miffed about that $218 deal. I got mine used for $150, so Steve's price sounds like a screaming deal!

Yeah, I normally see them a lot closer to $300.00. There is a used one on Craig's List for $150.00.

• Members
Yeah, I normally see them a lot closer to $300.00. There is a used one on Craig's List for $150.00.

You really should consider grabbing that, if you can...before I bought mine, I had no inkling of how useful it would turn out to be, and now I use it 3-5X a week for small gigs, plus it's handy for testing things I build and/or repair!

Gave $75 for mine, but I had to buy the AC-adapter from SLM, as it didn't have one at the pawnshop...seems like the AC-adapter was another $35 or $40, counting S/H.

Heckova deal! :thu:

• Members

You really should consider grabbing that, if you can...before I bought mine, I had no inkling of how useful it would turn out to be, and now I use it 3-5X a week for small gigs, plus it's handy for testing things I build and/or repair!

:

If I had the money I would get that used unit if it was as good as it looks.

Unfortunately no dinero.

• Members

How is the Behringer?

I know the Behringer detractors won't like to hear this but, I have the Ultracoustic ACX450 and I have no issues with it. At 45 watts, it works out great for the occasional acoustic gig. It weighs in at 29 pounds so it's not a monster to lug around either.

2 channels (1 instrument/1 XLR mic) with 16 seperate pre-programmed effects and levels for each channel. Footswitch included.

In my case, for my Crate CA15 and $20, it was a no brainer.

Good luck in shopping!

• Members
I know the Behringer detractors won't like to hear this but, I have the Ultracoustic ACX450 and I have no issues with it. At 45 watts, it works out great for the occasional acoustic gig. It weighs in at 29 pounds so it's not a monster to lug around either.

2 channels (1 instrument/1 XLR mic) with 16 seperate pre-programmed effects and levels for each channel. Footswitch included.

In my case, for my Crate CA15 and $20, it was a no brainer.

Good luck in shopping!

I've plugged into the larger Berhringer combo (100watts?) and thought it sounded pretty good, myself...

Berhringer, much like my beloved Carvin PA system and Crate amps, gets a lot of knocks, but I suspect most come from folks who've never used one themselves and are just repeating what they've been told, parrot-like. ;)

• Members
I've plugged into the larger Berhringer combo (100watts?) and thought it sounded pretty good, myself...

Berhringer, much like my beloved Carvin PA system and Crate amps, gets a lot of knocks, but I suspect most come from folks who've never used one themselves and are just repeating what they've been told, parrot-like.
;)

Agreed!

One of the guys in my acoustic band has a Behringer Acoustic amp (60w version, can't remember the model) and when he got it, I thought it sounded good and thought it was a good deal for the money. I also use a Behringer BA-115 bass cab that I like alot.

I think Crate is still suffering from some of the black eyes they received when they first came on the scene. I don't remember when it was exactly cause I've been around the music scene for over 40 years and the memory ain't what it used to be but, I do remember them having all kinds of reliability problems in the early days. I use a Crate BT-50 combo amp for the acoustic gigs and I can get some nice tone out of it. When tastefully executed, the octave generator sounds really sweet with my 4 string fretless MK Dragonfly ABG (2nd from the left in my avatar).

• Members

Thanks for all inputs on this! I have decided and bought a Fender Acoustasonic Jr. DSP. I found a good deal on a slightly used one on Ebay and got it. It should be here about Wednesday next week. I know its a bit heavy at 43 lbs:freak: but I will mainly be using it at home. I look forward to enjoying this forum in the future as it looks to have a good bunch of folks on here! Thanks again to all!

• Members

With Behringer I find you get something awesome or something blaw, I would bet their ultracoustic series 45,90,180 watts sound great, I have doubts about the AT108 ,the one for 59 bucks, I have been trying out some electric amps ,I am in the process of reviewing the Keeley Comp vs the Analogman Bicomp for Countrystarsonline.com. I have been using my stereo which I usually practice thru, I always use a PA or sound system when I play out.
I would like to play these pedals thru a real amp for guitars to get that feel. I'm thinking an Orange Crush 10, new Fender Frontman 10 or Pignose
Jim
PS- Those Keeley compressors are out of this world, I'm prolonging the review as much as I can, no seriously the comp Analogman sent me had problems, so he is going to make me another or I'm just reviewing the Keeley, I even compare the keeley to anything,

• Members
Please, do go on.
:)

I've got one of these coming tomorrow, Wendsday at the latest. Sooooo excited!

So you've had your Fishman Loudbox 100 for a few days now... Your verdict?

I love mine for gigging - clean, loud and versitile - small footprint and easy hauling.

mAXEd

• Members
So you've had your Fishman Loudbox 100 for a few days now... Your verdict?

Not a lotta time this AM, but in a word: "Wow!"

It got here late Friday and we played a party w/ it that night. The quote from the banjo/drummer* was, "It makes us sound like we're in the studio." :) I'm using a Moon mandolin w/ a K&K Twin and an Eastman Uptown 804SE. Both have very different tones and both sound great thru this amp. Over the w/e I did a little experimenting w/ different pres and mics and so far, I'm amazed at what the Loudbox can do. More later.

*the short version of why I'd need an amp at all.

• Members

I played my Marshall AS50D for about 30 minutes last night while family/friends did dishes. I had it up just a smidgem to be a little louder than my voice.

I asked my wife and kids later if they noticed I was plugged...they did not. I really liked it and it sounded...acoustic.

Archived