Things people do with acoustics that drive me crazy

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

1. When I see someone that is playing a typically electric song on an acoustic exactly the way they would on electric instead of doing an alternate acoustic arrangement. Sorry, but power chording your way through Smells Like Teen Spirit on an acoustic doesn't work.

2. Every time I've seen a classical guitar at a pawn shop it was strung with steel strings, usually electric strings. And, no surprise, most of them had bent necks.

3. Golf tees are used in place of bridge pins.

4. They didn't bother cutting off the string ends after re-stringing.

5. A steel string acoustic is strung with electric strings.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For number 1, do you mean playing songs written on electric guitar on an acoustic, or playing 220 bbm shred metal with the gain turned up to 11 type of music? I think some songs can go over on acoustic pretty well. Not the ones reliant upon distortion and pedals for a guitar as a sound, but songs that already had a strong melodic and rhythmic structure to begin with. If you mean playing songs that do shoot for a distorted sound (like Nirvana), then I do agree.

• Members

i'm not sure what the big deal is anyway. So what if they play Smells Like Teen Spirit on an acoustic. My first thought is so what....who are you or anyone else to tell someone how to play a song. You can like it or hate it, that's your right but they have a right to play too. Just my 2 cents.

• Members

For number 1, do you mean playing songs written on electric guitar on an acoustic, or playing 220 bbm shred metal with the gain turned up to 11 type of music? I think some songs can go over on acoustic pretty well. Not the ones reliant upon distortion and pedals for a guitar as a sound, but songs that already had a strong melodic and rhythmic structure to begin with. If you mean playing songs that do shoot for a distorted sound (like Nirvana), then I do agree.

I'm just talking about anything that is dependant on a lot of distortion or other effects. Nirvana was just the first example that came to mind. Metallica is another good one. Like I said, I don't mind if they make an acoustic arrangement of it as long as it sounds decent.

• Members

this thread is full of fail, with the exception of the uncut string ends. that pisses me off too.

That's the only one of the five I've ever personally witnessed. Golf tees in place of bridge pins? Guess I don't hang out in pawn shops often enough. :freak:

• Members
I'm just talking about anything that is dependant on a lot of distortion or other effects. Nirvana was just the first example that came to mind. Metallica is another good one. Like I said, I don't mind if they make an acoustic arrangement of it as long as it sounds decent.[/quote

Even if it doesn't sound decent they have a right. Besides, what sounds decent to one person may sound horrible to the other. Thats all i'm sayin.

• Members

I've never 'got' the reason why people don't trim excess strings @ headstock. Seems very dangerous (sharp metal near eye level = FAIL!).

But that's just me. Probably same reason i went to nerd school instead of being a rock and roll star or stunt man.

• Members

5. A steel string acoustic is strung with electric strings.

Obviously, you're talking about when this is done by mistake or from ignorance. 'Cause hey, if you're John Cage and you've finished preparing your piano with thumbtacks, go ahead and string up the old six-string with rice noodles if that's the sound you're going for.

• Members

Once when I was about 15 I thought that It was very cool to leave your strings ends hanging off your tuning pegs.

So I go ahead and leave them flopping around. Next thing you know BAM!

String in the eyeball.

My eye swelled up and I couldn't see out of it for 24 hours.

Well my lesson was learned. NEVER EVER EVER LEAVE THEM HANGING

It really hurt.

The other day my idiot friend busts out his acoustic with the strings not cut. i yelled at him that it was dumb. But he refused to cut them. So when he went to use the bathroom, I did some surgery and clipped them.

It was for his own good.

• Members

Agree on power chords: Terrible!

6. People who've been playing for 20 years and still only can strum barely.... with their thumb and don't know any barre chords

(Especially if they make more money than me playing)

• Members

People bending the headstock back and forth to get some sort of dive-bombing whammy bar effect; if anyone does that on one of my guitars, it will be the last time they ever play one. I saw in a video Tommy Emmanuel do that. I doubt Clapton would.

Guitar smashing. I don't approve of anyone breaking any instrument for entertainment purposes, whatever it may be (Estebans notwithstanding). Decadent nihilism.

I don't like to listen to, or watch, people with heavy touches play acoustic. I mean, my touch isn't the lightest in the world; When I only had an acoustic, I used to play songs meant for the electric to the crowd I used to hang with, so I had to play pretty loudly. I mean a really rough, worry-about-broken-string strumming and groove-in-wood strumming. Makes me wince every time.

I do a mean unplugged version of 'Purple Haze,' though.

Cheers,

Glenn

• Members
I'm just talking about anything that is dependant on a lot of distortion or other effects. Nirvana was just the first example that came to mind. Metallica is another good one. Like I said, I don't mind if they make an acoustic arrangement of it as long as it sounds decent.[/quote

Even if it doesn't sound decent they have a right. Besides, what sounds decent to one person may sound horrible to the other. Thats all i'm sayin.[/QUOTE]

I agree with the right to play whatever, whenever, wherever. DarkHorse made a posting of his opinion. That's all. No need to roll out the Constitution and Bill of Rights.

• Members

I'm pretty anal about uncut strings, too. I also don't like the loopy-loop thing some folks do with the uncut ends.

The bashing of any git gives me the heebie-jeebies. Never figured out what the point of that was, except to send me a message that the basher has more bucks to invest in gits than I do.

Archived