Things people do with acoustics that drive me crazy

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I concur with the electric strings on acoustics. Might as well be using horse hair IMO for the whole lack of tone thing. I'd go even further to say that this includes extra-light acoustic strings as well - and possibly even lights as I'm getting the urge to swap up to mediums on both my acoustics. I've already got .011's on my Strat and I've got no problem with the reduced string flexibility.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree with pretty much all of those.

I hate it when people play something meant to be played with distortion exactly the same except on an acoustic. It sounds so cheesy and bad.

I had a friend that used to put electric strings (he uses 9-42) on his acoustic. It sounded bad. Really thin and tinny. I asked him why he did it, and he said, "I tried acoustic strings once, but they were too big, so I put electrics on so I can do bends." I told him I thought it sounded bad and he could get thinner acoustic strings, and a while later (a few months, I think), he finally decided to try acoustic strings again. Right after he did, he kept on talking about how good it sounded.

• Members

[/quoteEven if it doesn't sound decent they have a right. Besides, what sounds decent to one person may sound horrible to the other. Thats all i'm sayin.

Read what I wrote very carefully. At any point did I say they didn't have the right? Its their money, their time, their instrument, and their life, and they can do what they choose with it. I was just saying it annoys me when someone plays something in a way that is obviously not even a good way to play for whatever instrument they are playing.

I was just stating my opinion, not saying they can't do things a certain way, though I may think it is a stupid way to do it. A word of advice, read posts more carefully before you respond and make sure the person is actually saying what you think they are saying.

• Members

I agree with pretty much all of those.

I hate it when people play something meant to be played with distortion exactly the same except on an acoustic. It sounds so cheesy and bad.

I had a friend that used to put electric strings (he uses 9-42) on his acoustic. It sounded bad. Really thin and tinny. I asked him why he did it, and he said, "I tried acoustic strings once, but they were too big, so I put electrics on so I can do bends." I told him I thought it sounded bad and he could get thinner acoustic strings, and a while later (a few months, I think), he finally decided to try acoustic strings again. Right after he did, he kept on talking about how good it sounded.

I've been there myself: .008 gauge strings on a $5 garage sale acoustic that was all gussied up to look like a Gibson Dove. I played it exactly like I did my knock-off Strat and ground the frets down to nothing by trying to do 3-step bends a la Steve Vai.

Live and learn. Not only did I learn that I can't - and shouldn't - try to play like Steve Vai but I also learned that each instrument has its own voice. Now I know that even between different acoustics, one particular brand or gauge of string suits another.

• Members

my pet peeve for solo acoustic players is playing through an entire "solo" section, chords only. like trudging through "comfortably numb" and strumming chords while an imaginary dave gilmour is (not) filling the space.

ooooh that makes me stomach churn. y'kno, make an interesting arrangement or something!

• Members

Something that used to drive me nuts was when I played small venues and found one of my guitars retuned to standard. It takes a special kind of social retard to retune the artist's instruments so they can masturbate with the four or five chords they think makes them musicians - on the sly, no less.:mad:

• Members
Something that used to drive me nuts was when I played small venues and found one of my guitars retuned to standard. It takes a special kind of social retard to retune the artist's instruments so they can masturbate with the four or five chords they think makes them musicians - on the sly, no less.
:mad:

I think if someone's playing/touching your guitar without your permission, they've already crossed the line. :freak: Might as well retune while they're at it. Maybe even adjust the truss rod.

• Members

I can't stand well paid high budget rock acts who simply can't seem to get a quality acoustic sound on the required "acoustic track" on their rock disc. Whats it with Staind, Hinder, etc. doing acoustic songs with absolutely junk acoustic tone? I know they can afford a good guitar...

I liked the one of the Aarron Lewis solo stuff I've heard. Don't know if you are specifically talking about the Staind as a band songs though. To a big fan of the tone of outside after they studio'ed it up.

I have been guilty of leaving the a string or two uncut if I don't have wire cutters handy. I would of course clip them before going out in public. I also always do what was quoted as the "Loopy loop" thing to avoid such eyeball disasters as previously mentioned.

I have no issue with people playing power chords on an acoustic. I am one of those strange people that think there shouldn't be rules involved in how you play music. Do what works for you.

The wrong strings (Electric on a Acoustic) is just a sad sound and sight and should be avoided if possible.

To add to the list is people who add crazy garnish to their acoustics. I don't mind a little pearl here and there but I was watching a concert on TV that had one of the guys from Big & Rich playing. I don't know if it was Big or Rich I don't follow pop country but he had a Gibby Acoustic with what looked like RHINESTONES glued around the rim of the top. I tried to google a pic of this ugly thing but couldn't find one. He also had his name in pearl down the fretboard which brings me to another thing. Why? Are you so afraid people will forget your name you write it in block letters down the neck of the guitar? A little personalized touch I can understand. I wouldn't mind a martin with my Signature inlayed in the 12th fret nice and classy like but I don't feel the need for a billboard!

Archived