Do you use different picks/picking position for different guitars?

Kaux

• Members
Yes.

You?

:cop:

I asked this because i realized my guitar really hates heavy picks. That is because it has light strings i guess...

Also i see people playing lead guitar with their wrist brushing the bridge. That means picking at the edge of the sound hole. If i pick there it sounds good, but i like much more the sound if i pick above the middle of the soundhole, but then i have no reference point (the bridge in the wrist) and i have head that planting your pinky is bad...

• Members

- I tend to play heavy picks on all my guitars (nylon, flat top v/PB roundwound 0.13s, archtop w/flatwound 0.13s, manouche w/0.11s, semi-hollow w/ nickel/roundwound 0.11s).

- The exact pick I use (model, material, position) will depend on the type of string and guitar. Not that there is no overlap, but some guitars do sound better with some picks)

- Where I pick will depend on the guitar and on the tone I want to achieve. Most of the time it is near/above the soundhole

- I tend to play with a floating wrist (no anchoring) and rest-stroke technique on all acoustic guitars, but not necessarily on electric/plugged-in-archtop guitars (problem of dynamics/attack)

:idk:

• Members

I use different picks for acoustic vs. electric... Dunlop Delrin 2mm for acoustic, Big Stubby 3mm for electric.

I really like the shape and feel of the Big Stubby, but it just doesn't sound as good as the Delrin on acoustic.

On bass guitar, on the rare occasion that I want a pick, it's usually the Delrin. On the mandolin, it's the Delrin.

Hmm....

• Members

On everything I flat-pick, I flat-pick with the same flat-pick (try saying that 5 times, as fast as you can! :lol: ): a .080 Clayton Ultem rounded triangle.

Fingerpicking is sometimes bare-fingered (softer, mellower tunes) or medium (orange) Fred Kelly Pro pick (thumb)/either two Fred Kelly Freedom fingerpicks or Dunlop .015 brass fingerpicks (ragtime/Kottke-ish/blues).

Depending on the part of the song, I may position my hand down near the bridge, right over the sound-hole, right at the end of the fingerboard, or any place in between...my ears tell me where to go (organic tone control, if you will ;))...after all, prior to electricity/electronics, that's all there was!

• Members

One of the things i am trying to learn is proper right hand technique, but without sacrificing the tone i want. I guess it has been discussed to death here but i cant find it. Can you point me to threads or sites about proper right hand technique?

• Members

Clayton Ultem (1.07 or 1.20) on steel string acoustics with .12's.

John Pearse Sarod wood picks (2.0 or 2.5) on nylon string acoustics.

Dunlop Primetone (3.0) on gypsy jazz guitars strung with .11's.

On electrics (strung with .10's), I go between Dunlop Tortex and the Clayton Ultems (1.0's or higher).

Picking position varies on every instrument.

• Members
John Pearse Sarod wood picks (2.0 or 2.5) on nylon string acoustics.

Yes! :thu:

Depending on the pick, guitar, and on my mood, I'll also hold the pick normally, or upside down (dugain), play with the pointy tip, a rounded corner, or the side of it, etc...

:o

• Members

One of the things i am trying to learn is proper right hand technique, but without sacrificing the tone i want. I guess it has been discussed to death here but i cant find it. Can you point me to threads or sites about proper right hand technique?

Here's one that was helpful to me:http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2036059

Archived