Ever take a guitar to the hospital?

kwakatak

• Members

I recently found out that a friend of mine has been in the hospital since September and is not likely to be out for at least a month. I don't know the details but word is that there were complications from her procedure and she's been in rehab.

This friend of mine was partly responsible for getting me back into music and directly responsible for introducing me to the concept of GAS - she drove me to GC and told me "just try any guitar and don't worry about the price." Since that time I've been sort of a musical Rip Van Winkle and drinking in as much as I could so that I could make up for lost time and maybe even push ahead toward something fruitful with making music.

Anyway, I was thinking of surprising her with a visit and taking my "Larva" (as she calls it) and playing her a few tunes. Is this a bad idea?

• Members

I think that's a lovely and thoughtful thing to do for your friend. I took my guitar with me when I was in and out of the hospital a couple years back. Even when I couldn't play it brought me solace just being on the guitar stand in my room. Though, a couple of interns, nurses, and a custodial worker did take turns playing her. :lol:

• Members

It should be OK, depends on where your friend is and how critical noise levels are in that area. I took my FG150 with me when I went in for my stem cell transplant. That was an isolation ward and quiet was needed but I was still allowed to bring it in.

Granted the chemo kicked my ass and I didn't have the energy to play after a couple of days but I did play just a bit and, like Trina, found solace from that old friend being there.

• Members

Neil, as you know, I play in the lobby of a large hospital each Saturday. Occasionally I am asked to play in a patient's room. This is encouraged by the hospital management. Often, I see family members of patients go up to play for them in the patients' rooms.

Caution: You might get hooked and start playing, as many of us do, for other patients you do not know. It is a deeply rewarding experience (for the musician).

Just Do It.

(report back.)

• Members

In the spirit of "Just play any guitar, and don't worry about the price." I'd say just take the guitar and don't worry about it. If circumstances are such that you aren't allowed to play, that's OK too. As others have said, even an unplayed guitar can have a salubrious effect.

• Members

Neil, as you know, I play in he lobby of a large hospital each Saturday. Occasionally I am asked to play in a patient's room. This is encouraged by the hospital management. Often, I see family members of patient's go up to play for them in the patients' rooms. You might get hooked and start playing as many of us do for other patients you do not know. It is a deeply rewarding experience (for the musician). Just Do It.

report back.

I'd actually forgotten about that, Q. That was kinda my intention: to cheer her up if she needed it. There's a lot I still don't know regarding her situation though. She's been incommunicado for 3 months now so I'm corresponding with another one of her friends (who I don't know all that well) to try and get more of the story so I can get a feeling about where she's at emotionally. I don't wanna make things worse by offending her.

• Members

Neil, last spring when my father was on his deathbed I lived in his room for a few days. I took my guitar and played for him - it helped me a lot too. I remember one night I thought I was playing very softly, the nurse on duty came in and thanked me for playing - apparently she could hear out in the hall.

When he did pass away I played Amazing Grace.

Just don't take a reso.

• Members

Neil, last spring when my father was on his deathbed I lived in his room for a few days. I took my guitar and played for him - it helped me a lot too. I remember one night I thought I was playing very softly, the nurse on duty came in and thanked me for playing - apparently she could hear out in the hall.

:thu:

• Members

Just don't take a reso.

Man, that was touching. I seriously would like to thank you for sharing that. :cry:

Here's an update on my friend's situation: she doesn't want any more visitors so this is a moot point. I will honor that since I know that her friend is seeing her just about every day. This friend tells me that she will be moving to another facility soon and will forward me the address, at which time I can send her a card or something. Again, I'll honor her wish not to be disturbed though; I presume her medical situation leaves her feeling stripped of her dignity or something.

Anyway, I'm told that she's otherwise in decent enough spirit to roll her eyes whenever somebody gets mushy. I'll take that as a positive sign at least. :lol:

• Members

Again, I'll honor her wish not to be disturbed though; I presume her medical situation leaves her feeling stripped of her dignity or something.

I'd say you're doing the right thing. But if she transfers to that other place, go visit her if she's up for it, and maybe bring an extra guitar for her. :)

I've been working as a tour guide for Berklee for the past few months and have had to spend some time learning about the music therapy program- it's really incredible stuff. Brahmz can share more specifics about it, I'm sure, but the basic jist of it is that music- when applied in an easy-to-access way- can measurably improve lives. It's really powerful stuff. You don't even have to be a Board-Certified Music Therapist, sharing the gift of music with people who are down can be just the ticket to improve the quality of their lives.

• Members

Music therapy, huh? That's something I'd be interested in checking out. I've actually been thinking about checking into it as a child development tool because that hits a little closer to home for me.

One question: does that mean I have to learn really dippy, happy songs? I so much prefer that brooding singer/songwriter stuff. :freak:

Archived