A question for you Martin gurus

kwakatak

• Members

But, otoh Kwak, you've been gasing for a 35 of somekind for a while. I think you'll keep gasing till you get one. New of course, has the warranty, so if it explodes you should be covered.

My OM-35 has the light braces and it's indeed a warm sound. And the white binding fades some with time.

I'd suggest shoeboxing till you've got the do-ra-mi, or at least a downpayment, and keep shopping in the meantime.

What's the average length of a bout of GAS? You know that I can hold out for years! I agree though, I'm probably gonna hold out for a new one since I don't see many used HD-35s on any of the boards. That's gotta testify toward something!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What's the average length of a bout of GAS? You know that I can hold out for years!

well, of course it varies, but eventually the gas passes. Sometimes when the pressure really builds up and it gets too great to bear all bottled up inside of you, it explodes with a special event, often annoying those closest to you most.
Some try to hide it or sneak it past their spouse, usually to no avail, and may actually cause further health "issues" (as we are fond of saying in Ann Arbor).
One remedy is to restrict yourself to a bland diet, such as Britney Speares :bor: or almost anyone who performs in the lounges of Las Vegas, including most of the headliners. :blah:
Like all diets, if you like it, then it's not good for you.

• Members

What's the average length of a bout of GAS? You know that I can hold out for years!

Well jeez, put it this way, I got a custom OM not long ago and I'm already gassing for another..not to mention the D-18V that snuck in there when I was'nt looking..

I gotta say though, that I don't feel any dread-gas. So maybe it's all psycological.

Speaking of logical, I know that I aught to get some good mics and an ibook and a basic protools set up and maybe a few other recording do-hickies...and it'd likely cost less than another costum Martin...otoh, maybe by spring I can afford the whole enchilada, with pickle sauce and the works...but yeah, what do I need vs what do I want.

Go figure, Kwak.

• Members
Speaking of logical, I
know
that I aught to get some good mics and an ibook and a basic protools set up and maybe a few other recording do-hickies...and it'd likely cost less than another costum Martin...otoh, maybe by spring I can afford the whole enchilada, with pickle sauce and the works...but yeah, what do I need vs what do I want.

Go figure, Kwak.

Have you considered just getting a Zoom H2? I am; I'm getting sick of lugging out all that gear only to have the kids muck up all the settings. :mad:

• Members

Zooma-Zooma-zoomzoomzoomzoomzoom...etc. I can't record with good gear. Those stars will never be in alignment for me. But, I'm going to stumble onto it one day. What I want to do is put good sound on a YouTube vid. So, I got a couple doodads and will fiddle with them until it's right. The Zoom is fine for what it does I suppose but the world is a visual one first, aural second. So, far be it for me to argue?

• Members

My 73 D-35 slays the majority of Martins I run into including my 41, both 28's, HD-28, and my D-18. The 75 D-35 I had sucked. With older guitars they vary all over the place so be wary of buying off e-bay, etc. without playing it. New ones are usually a bit tight but will open up with time.

• Members
Ummm, right. (a muffled boom issues from a guitar case in the other room)

These 15 series guitars must be finished with nitroglycerin.

Domestic terrorist attack aimed at removing all guitars so we'll all go bonkers and start eating each other. :eek::eek::eek:

Dang....been reading too much Stephen King...:eek:

• Members

Neil,

Just played an OM-35 at Elderly, blew my pants off. Get one of those!!

To quote my nearly-2 year-old: "I don wanna"

The OM-03R satisfied my OM GAS long ago and it's not going anywhere. OTOH I feel like I need to upgrade my dread.

• Members

.buy a new one!

diito

That Martin Warranty is worth it's weight in gold.

My MC28 got a neck rest a new bridge and saddle. The work was done here in town by an authorised luthier that does some amazing work in his own right.

My cost, zip

Martins probably paid the repair guy 500 bucks for his services and that was 5 years ago.

I have bought 2 more Martins since.

• Members
Have you considered just getting a Zoom H2? I am; I'm getting sick of lugging out all that gear only to have the kids muck up all the settings.
:mad:

I want it ALL!!

..ahem. Like I was saying, ah..yeah, I'd like to have that H2 gizmo, but I'm thinking a basic upgradeable Protools set up would go a long way; drums, keys, backing vocs, etc etc etc.

H2 would come in mighty handy, though. I can see that.

I'm outta here till probly next week. Busy schedule and all.

Lunch, and the library will be closed by the time I get done. Chow.

• Members

I owned a 1996 HD 35, bought new. It blew away everything in the shop when I bought it. For the first 5 years it got darker, woodier, deeper and louder. Classic Martin D tone.

Then over the next 5 years it began losing the midrange and by year 10 it was very scooped sounding. It was a very good rhythm guitar, but lacked mid presence for fingerstyle, soloing or backing vocals.

Speaking with Bryan Kimsey (Kimsey Guitars... noted Martin repair and hot rod guru) he advised me that it was a problem he had run into before on lightly braced guitars (like the HD35) that are then scalloped (like the HD 35).

I sold it.

I still love Martins, I own a D 18 Authentic, D18GE and a 000-28EC but I'd be cautious about ever buying an HD 35 again.

• Members

Ummm, right. (a muffled boom issues from a guitar case in the other room)

These 15 series guitars must be finished with nitroglycerin.

I think I missed something here so I did a quick search of your posts. Holy smokes that's a heck of a crack, Bot. Hope we can get that glued shut for you.

• Members

A lightly braced big soundbox just doesn't sound like a durable thing. The D35 I had was, to me, the best sounding guitar I could find at the time (1973) regardless of brands and models. If I was into Ds again I'd look for another one but not any of the HD variants. Actually, I'd like to play that guitar with Englemann over Mahogany B/S.

• Members

Yeah, the idea of durability does come to mind, but...

Warranty, schmarranty - just about all of my gits have been used, played hard and put up wet. If I could find a "slightly used" D-35 (that's opened up) for $1000 less than a new HD-35 I think I'd count myself ahead.

Yet OTOH I'm not getting any younger (or richer) and that new HD-35 sounded oh-so-sweet!!! :love:

• Members

Hey Kwak -

We've had this conversation before, and as you know my HD-35 is the best sounding guitar I've ever heard. I love the 28, and the 00-18 runs a close second, but the HD-35 is king. It's bright and it sings, it's perfectly balanced, and it also has a depth on the low end that no other guitar has.

I wouldn't worry about structural issues. It's a Martin Dread. It's a sturdy guitar. It won't come apart on you unless you leave it in the car trunk in July.

• Members

Besides the confrontational approach ("You have more than one handbag! You have more than one watch!"...etc), I've found that the "investment" approach works with wives. They are all about buying antiques and such. When they look at it as a piece of art sitting in the living room on a stand that's valuable and doesn't depreciate like buying a car, and spending money on other "practical" stuff...it's a bit easier to win the missus over.
Another good argument is to put it in contrast to other hobbies a husband might have that just suck money with no return like golfing, fishing, boating, cars etc...And at least with the guitar you stay home more.

WHo am I kidding? :cry:

• Members

Besides the confrontational approach ("You have more than one handbag! You have more than one watch!"...etc), I've found that the "investment" approach works with wives. They are all about buying antiques and such. When they look at it as a piece of art sitting in the living room on a stand that's valuable and doesn't depreciate like buying a car, and spending money on other "practical" stuff...it's a bit easier to win the missus over.

Another good argument is to put it in contrast to other hobbies a husband might have that just suck money with no return like golfing, fishing, boating, cars etc...And at least with the guitar you stay home more.

well, first of all, I am not married. however, I am not sure that the investment argument holds water (from my own personal experience; mind you). But, in comparison to other hobbies, your point is well-taken. Golf has you gone all day on the weekend, and if you stop at the 19th hole, perhaps even longer. of course a few couples play together...

whereas the guitar is played at home and you don't have to devote hours alone at a time to it. If you have 15 minutes you can grab the git in the corner and play while you are waiting for your spouse to finish dressing before you take her out to dinner.

• Members

If you have 15 minutes you can grab the git in the corner and play while you are waiting for your spouse to finish dressing before you take her out to dinner

15 minutes? Yea, you aren't married alright.

Don't get me wrong...I don't expect her to buy into the argument that the guitar is going to make money (it can happen)

But in reality you can get at least a good percentage of your initial outlay compared to other consumer purchases. (Don't get me started on most consumer electronics) Stick it on Ebay!

• Members

The "compare to golf cost/stay home more" argument is a weak argument that most wives will see through. Hell, she may not want you home more often. The "investment" argument is better if you can equate your guitar to her jewelry or other "long term" luxury items she purchases.

Archived