De-smoking a guitar

u6crash

• Members

Last weekend I played a smoke filled basement and just now I took my guitar out to practice last minute for an open mic and it smells awful. What do you prescribe for getting rid of this?

Hopefully that smoke filled private gig was a last. Right or wrong, smoking is banned in all indoor public places here in Illinois and my next gig is in a smoke free home.

• Members

Last weekend I played a smoke filled basement and just now I took my guitar out to practice last minute for an open mic and it smells awful. What do you prescribe for getting rid of this?

Hopefully that smoke filled private gig was a last. Right or wrong, smoking is banned in all indoor public places here in Illinois and my next gig is in a smoke free home.

Either spray your case down with Febreeze or put some dryer sheets in it. Throw the git in there for a few days while your not playing. Should clear it up.

• Members

Had a similar experience. Thankfully, the guitar finally recovered, but the gig bag wasn't so lucky. I tried everything to "de-smoke" it short of throwing it in the washing machine. I had to put it out in the garage because it was smelling up my house. Eventually, I sold a really sweet (but stinky) gig bag on craigslist for just $15.

• Members

Thorough cleaning the outside of the guit, and maybe some lemon oil on the fretboard next string change. Febreze the case and leave it open. Don't put the guitar in there while it's still damp. Don't know if it would hurt it, but ya never know. Keep the guitar out on a stand. For the most part air is the the clean solution. Otherwis you're just masking. The lemon is good. I use some Constant Comment tea bags. "Flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice". You can keep one or two in your case and chuck one down the sound hole. Lots of flavors to choose from, pick something bold. I have dumped the tea out of a bag and put in a dozen cloves, then stapled it shut. Cinnamon sticks. A half an apple wrapped in a paper towel. Stick some cloves in it while you're at it. It's also a good little humidifier. Or you could let a crab leg rot in there. Won't smell better, but you won't be smelling stale cigarettes either.

• Members

Go NotDead. If you're in a climate that allows, fresh air and sunshine.

Also, you can make a pouch for loose aromatics (cloves, etc) out of a coffee filter. Also, a couple sticks of Wrigleys peppermint or spearmint gum, still in the foil could sit in there for a couple of days.

• Members

Thorough cleaning the outside of the guit, and maybe some lemon oil on the fretboard next string change. Febreze the case and leave it open. Don't put the guitar in there while it's still damp. Don't know if it would hurt it, but ya never know. Keep the guitar out on a stand. For the most part air is the the clean solution. Otherwis you're just masking. The lemon is good. I use some Constant Comment tea bags. "Flavored with rind of oranges and sweet spice". You can keep one or two in your case and chuck one down the sound hole. Lots of flavors to choose from, pick something bold. I have dumped the tea out of a bag and put in a dozen cloves, then stapled it shut. Cinnamon sticks. A half an apple wrapped in a paper towel. Stick some cloves in it while you're at it. It's also a good little humidifier. Or you could let a crab leg rot in there. Won't smell better, but you won't be smelling stale cigarettes either.

Jeeze, I was thinking about commenting on getting the munchies while reading this until the crab leg.:eek:

• Members

I've been reading this thread with great interest....about a year ago I bought a Fender Jazz Bass that belonged to a smoker...both the bass and the inside of the case stink of smoke....I've put the case out in the sun for an afternoon or two - no help....everytime it sits for a day or two closed the smell comes back....

• Members

+1 on the Febreze. Used it in the Alvarez case to get rid of the smoke smell. Like has been said, spray it down, let it dry before putting the git back in the case. The Ceder chips deal sound good too. I might have to get some and put in small bags in the case to make my gits smell nice.:thu:

• Members

I refuse to buy or play a guitar in an enviroment where there is or has been:

Smoking.

Alcohol.

Drugs.

Sex.

Profanity.

Like you I am a very righteous and particular person and find the above to be disgusting.

• Members

Thorough cleaning the outside of the guit....

Yep.

Cigarette or cigar smoke has components that condense onto every surface they come into contact with. Ever seen the inside surfaces of the windows of a car owned by a heavy smoker? I know. I used to be a smoker. The same is true for gits. A good cleaning of all accessible surfaces with some mild cleaner and a soft cloth will help a great deal. Then use the Febreze.

• Members

I once had to get skunk stink out of my gits. (Had to get it out of the whole house, for that matter)

Activated charcoal works great, as do citrus peels. Febreeze the case and let it sit in open air and sunshine.

I put lemon and orange peels in a mesh bag, then stuck inside the gits for a few days. Same with the charcoal.

• Members

Yep.

Cigarette or cigar smoke has components that condense onto every surface they come into contact with. Ever seen the inside surfaces of the windows of a car owned by a heavy smoker? I know. I used to be a smoker. The same is true for gits. A good cleaning of all accessible surfaces with some mild cleaner and a soft cloth will help a great deal. Then use the Febreze.

Use to have problems with electronics too until they went digital. I think it's the tar that gets airborne and really sticks to things. Pipe or cigar smoke I can handle but cigarette smoke is a whole nother animal. I was wondering about the orange or lemon peels in a bag inside the guitar, would this also help to humidify it too? Seems like a nice way to make it not only smell good but get some humidity in it while it's dry because of Winter heating.

• Members

I refuse to buy or play a guitar in an enviroment where there is or has been:

Smoking.

Alcohol.

Drugs.

Sex.

Profanity.

Like you I am a very righteous and particular person and find the above to be disgusting.

So you don't play guitar if you've served a lady vintage Moet, nor do you serenade her in the bedroom?

Tsk...tsk....utterly boring!

• Members

Use to have problems with electronics too until they went digital. I think it's the tar that gets airborne and really sticks to things. Pipe or cigar smoke I can handle but cigarette smoke is a whole nother animal. I was wondering about the orange or lemon peels in a bag inside the guitar, would this also help to humidify it too? Seems like a nice way to make it not only smell good but get some humidity in it while it's dry because of Winter heating.

Bicarbonate of soda and activated charcoal are natural odour neutralisers that work well in both confined and open spaces. Dried orange, lemon and lime zest/peel work well - as do cedar wood chips and pot pouri - for scenting an instrument case interior. Wrapping/packaging them within a cloth bag is possibly the best method for storing them in a case.

:thu:

• Members

So you don't play guitar if you've served a lady vintage Moet, nor do you serenade her in the bedroom?

Tsk...tsk....utterly boring!

LOL

:lol:

It's just that after a few bottles I end up trying to play the Moet and drink the guitar.

I get confused, the lady hastily departs.... and I end up serenading the dog.

:idk:

Archived