Mando Pics.

daklander

• Members

Funny you should mention mandos. I've been trying all day to take a trip (flights fogged in, broken airplane.... I'm back home and frustrated) However I was going to take my little home made mando with me so I could get a string fix (and because I really need to practice the little bugger). So anyway, here is the FK-5

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

btw - it is not really red inside like the second picture. Some weird camera thing.

As some of you might remember, it was a Siminoff kit that I purchased from Tim McKnight - Tim had hand picked but never got around to building it. Hope I did it justice.

• Members

FK that thing is drop-dead GORGEOUS. Hot-a-mighty-damn. Nice work. I own a Harmony A-style mando, $40 Craigslist deal--but no pics 'cause it's in the shop getting a new bridge and nut, which will cost more than the mando did, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I can't play mando to save my life, but I'm learning. My goal is to learn "Losing My Religion" well enough that Mike and I can play it on-stage as a mando duo. And then the same for "It'll All Work Out" by Tom Petty, a song particularly appropriate to my life at this moment.

• Members

That's the same one I have except it's the brown/black (tea?) burst finish. I can't play it. That's
can't
, not
won't
. Waaaaayyyy too skinny a neck for these fence posts to do anything except mute the strings. It has been sitting in a TKL HS case since new. Bought it for my son but he doesn't want to play it. My wife wants to keep it for sentimental reasons (gads).

Yeah, the neck's really skinny and hard for me to play too. Try the 2 finger cheats.

• Members

Here's the one I built last winter. First instrument build I have attempted. May do another this year as I learned so much:

35-familyportrait-1.jpg

Clip of a pal of mine playing it (he is a very good fiddle/mandolin/guitar guy) before I gave it a decent setup. Plays much better now:

http://s48.photobucket.com/albums/f234/jklapp/Mandolin%20Build/?action=view&current=MVI_0145.flv

• Members

Not a great picture, so apologies...

mandolin.jpg

This was built by my dear departed friend Jaime Brazos (R I P, bro), who mostly built and repaired violin and related instruments (my dauhter has one of his violas and he was building me a 'cello when he died)...it's combines a A-4 styled body w/ an F-5 scale length, so that accounts for the bridge looking to be too high on the body.

This has a very unique tone in that when strummed/picked gently, it has a very mellow tone, perfect for jazz, Celtic, or classical music, yet when you really dig in, it has a great bluegrass bark.

Inside is an old Barcus-Berry p/u, so it can be used plugged-in (and often is)...currently strung w/ D'Addario mediums, but plan to try out Elixers next time.

This is my mandola...longer scale by about 3" and tuned C-G-D-A. Built by Heath Tomlinson, a hobby-luthier I met when gigging in New Mexico a few years ago, and it's one of his Celtic-styled instruments.

Note the pin-bridge, and the burled walnut b/s. He's currently building a mandolin and a mandocello identical to this, and I hope to have them by mid-summer.

84fe0703-0f4e-4027-b7f4-f9fdfc8dac0d

• Members

Mandolin002.jpg

This is the first mandolin I ever played. I have others now, but this one is still my favourite. It is a twelve-stringer, bought in Malta in the 1920s by my great uncle. I never met him; he died before I was born.

When I was seven I started learning to play the recorder at school. Mum thought that now I was learning music, she ought to get Uncle Charlie's old mandolin out of the attic for me. I've had it ever since. I gig with it regularly around Weymouth pubs - I fitted a stick-on pick-up to avoid drilling holes.

• Members

Mandolin002.jpg

This is the first mandolin I ever played. I have others now, but this one is still my favourite. It is a twelve-stringer, bought in Malta in the 1920s by my great uncle. I never met him; he died before I was born.

When I was seven I started learning to play the recorder at school. Mum thought that now I was learning music, she ought to get Uncle Charlie's old mandolin out of the attic for me. I've had it ever since. I gig with it regularly around Weymouth pubs - I fitted a stick-on pick-up to avoid drilling holes.

There's a similar 12-stringed mandolin in a pawn-shop I frequent...waiting for the price to go down... :)

• Members

Here's my Washburn M4 f hole. Sweet sounding budget instrument....lots of bark and cuts through with no problem. Believe it or not, I used it in a "Jazz Night" setting last year and got lots of compliments on it's sound......evwen the band director, who said he'd never really considered mando in a jazz band was impressed.

Instruments008.jpg

A here's my Washburn M1SDL oval hole........

A completely different sound from the f hole.....

Mandolins002.jpg

And of course.......the required comfy on the couch shot........

Mandolins003.jpg

• Members

I used to have one of these, an Ashbury AM 10. I got quite good on it, then sold it becuase I couldn't play it live (no pickup) so Now I'm on the looking for an Electric Mandolin.

gr3122.jpg

I miss it, as it was great to take places.

I'm not sure if Fender still makes this model, but it's great played plugged or unplugged...

F095-6205-028.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

starsailor, that's a beauty.

FK, excellent as usual.

TAH, very nice Celtic instrument. Reminds me of a bouzouki I used to own.

My electric mandolin that I posted about not so long ago is still on a truck somewhere in either England or Ireland, on its way to my eager hands. I'll post here when it arrives, but in the meantime, here's a stock photo:

440801-649719.jpg

Like a baby telecaster, and twice as twangy.

Archived