VOM 11 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, December 14, 2008

Stackabones

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, by my clock it's almost closing time ... but you know what? If it's still Second Sunday where you live, keep posting. Even it's a bit past Second Sunday and Monday Morning is blinking its bright eyes in your face ...

post 'em if you got 'em!

The mic is still on if you need it ...

• Members
Fussenkuh- great playing and very nice tone. It had plenty of sustain and richness.

Pschaafs- I ain't heard this song before, but I'm hooked. You have a very haunting voice

Michael Martin- You're like a rock version of Leonard Cohen. Your words and melodies are awesome.

Riff- always frustrated and delighted by your clips. :thu:

Stack- Very fun song. Your songs always remind me of orange skies and tropical drinks.

Joshmac- not a huge fan of Jason Mraz, but you have a really nice voice and did this song well.

Kwak- Neil, I liked this piece a lot. It was very soothing and easy to get lost in. :thu:

RT- Your recordings are always very impressive, soundwise. I'm not into P&W at all, but this song is nice and you did a great job.

Mr. Moe- you ooze authenticity. I'm very jealous. :)

Brian Wahl- Astounding recording. I really dig your sound. Your voice is clear and strong and your guitar sound is equally impressive.

Bob C- Excellent holiday tune. The lyrics are very funny.

C70- glad you're back. The tune was very nice. Your voice is always really sincere and your picking is top notch.

Terry- Great harmonica work. I especially liked the line "she's whirling like a dervish."

Ellen- I'm not familiar with Wicked, but I really liked your voice and playing.

Queequeg- Beautiful tune on an equally purty guitar.

Highway 61- I like it. I hear equal parts Bobby D and Steve Howe. :thu:

Sammye and Gareth- Excellent job on this song. Gareth, your voice is everything I love about English folk and Sammye the synth patches added a lot of depth to the song. Well done.

GIL!- That was {censored}ing excellent. Harry Chapin would be proud.

Totamus- You sir, are quite a picker. This is one of my favorite MJH numbers and you done it well.

Whale- I left a comment on your Youtube and I mean it. If you have any other stuff, I would love to hear it.

Dak- that's some voice you've got there. It's real and full of emotion. :thu: for doing a Micky Newbury song too.

Gthom- Nice tasty playing.

guitarplayer- welcome to the HCAG and nice job.

Frets- I hate Kenny Chesney, but I sure like you. Great job.

Knowspicker- Great job. I dig your voice a lot.

wow. That was a lot of contributions and they were all great. Makes me proud to share a corner of the internet with such cool people.

EDIT: Thanks Joe. Looks good.

• Members

Entries in the archive are also up to date. Check 'em out folks make sure your's was included and correct.

Thanks Joe--my archived bit looks fine, though I still have to figger out what's up with stupid non-streaming box.net (get what you pay for I guess). Maybe I need to learn a few more things about posting files. I'm not very savvy.

Just got done with exam design so will be listenin' and back-feedin' soon as I can.

Fussenkuh - Beautiful playing and tone! Nice electric twist to an ol' classic!!

Pschaafs - Wow! Beautiful song and very professionally done! Guitar and vocals were exceptional.

Michael Martin - Holy Smokes!! That was just incredible!! Take a bow man! (where's the applause smilie???) That was great! Also had a nice old Who vocal vibe!! A Keeper!!

Riffmeister - So sweet! Brought tears to my eyes!

Stackabones - Great! Nice 30s/40s vibe to the guitar playing. Song is just excellent and very well sung I might add!

Joshmac - Love Mraz! Great video, man. Great song. You guys had the crowd in the palm of your hands!!

Kwakatak - It's hard to explain this, but I know He's listening to you. Your piece played so beautifully is also played with a deep emotion. Playing the guitar can be a deep form of reflection. It can also be a deep and profound source of joy. Listening to you is a joy!

Recordingtrack - Your song coming after Kwakatak's offering is pretty ironic. Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!! I can feel you. I looked for the lyrics after I heard your take. Very moving!

MrMoe - The Connecticut and a dog I won't outlive! Lyrics that I'll never forget. Beautiful sentiments and a beautiful song. Love the added fiddle. Really gave the song form.

Brianwahl - Loved it is well the first time I heard it and twice as much now!! I loved your original. I can relate. Very polished presentations. Very professional to go along with the way you play

BobC - Good thing I edit what I rite! I had writed BoobC at frist! :thu::o
Terrific tune. Lyrics made me laugh! A roots Christmas tune!!

C70man - "It's kind of absurd, when you don't know the words!" :D Nice audience style too. Great playing n song!

• Members

Wow! 20-some more songs to add to my list of things to listen to! Hopefully, I'll be able to make it through all this great music throughout the course of the week!

But, before I get through all the songs, I just wanted to take this moment to thank everyone who took time to listen to my little tune and a special thanks to everyone who give me some feedback... All of you are too kind!

kwakatak - Thanks for the kind words. I just wish I had your dedication to the VOM... or at least a little more foresight into planning my VOM recording and I could have gotten something a bit more up-to-date posted for this VOM ;)

bobc - Thanks Bob! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

C70man - Thanks for the feedback. I don't play my electric nearly as often as my acoustic these days. However, I really liked the way this electric rendition turned out. I'm glad you enjoyed it as well :)

joshmac - Thanks Josh! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who gets reminded of Christmas when Greensleeves is played. Also, thanks for the guitar complement :) I absolutely love my '98 Torondao. For the price, I've always though they were great guitars. I just wish Fender didn't halt production on the things a few years ago.

recordingtrack1 - Thanks RT1! As you might have read from the comment above, it's actually a Fender Torondao ;) I wish I had myself a Jag though!

riffmeister - Glad you enjoyed the tune riffmeister :D And, I absolutely agree that a distorted guitar can be a great tool to lay down a great melody. I'm just glad I was able to pull off something that sounded decently good to my ears!

guitarist21 - I'm just full of surprises ;) Well, not really... I actually migrated away from my acoustic for many years before falling in love with it's pure sound all over again a couple years ago. The electric tends to take a backseat these days, but does get pulled out when the time is right. Thanks a bunch for the feedback! And, I agree. your avatar is awesome!

Queequeg - Glad I was able to shake down your sensibilities ;) If there's one thing I've learned while participating in these VOMs it's that there's usually at least one tune in the bunch that I though just "wouldn't work" before I listened to it... Each and every time, I've been pleasantly surprised at how great it actually turned out. I'm glad to hear that it sounds like my tune might have fallen into that category this month :)

Michael Martin - Thanks for the shout out MM! I hope you got those final exams written! And, I hope you're not too harsh on your students with grading... it is the holiday season after all ;)

MattSkibaIsGOD - Thanks! I was definitely pleased with the tones I was able to pull out of the guitar.

Frets99 - Thanks Frets! I appreciate the feedback.

Stack - Thanks for the YouTube comment and for continuing to host the VOM!

Ohioarrow - Joe, as always, thanks for archiving everything! My entry looks good

• Members
I hope you're not too harsh on your students with grading... it is the holiday season after all
;)

As I type this, I sit in front of a class now in its second hour of their LA 373 final (the one I finished designing at 1:15 am today). I wish I could listen to VOM tunes while sitting here proctoring, but I guess that wouldn't be too cool...:evil:

And then yeah--the problem with giving tests is that afterwards, you have to grade the damn things! :facepalm:

But I ain't complaining. I have the second-best job in the world.

Terry Allen Hall - Just very very special!! And quite nicely done. Harmonica was excellent!

Guitarist21 - Always love your offerings. Talk about stage poise! You are a natural performer! The playing and singing were both awesome. I didn't know the song but it's great. And the bloopers were hilarious! :D

Queequeq - A sweet acoustic touch to that bittersweet tune. Beautifully played and gorgeous guitar!

Highway 61 - Big Sound! Beautifully played. Stay away from the shore if you can! BTW - what guitar did you use?

Samilyn and Garthman - Collaboration extraordinaire! Haunting and beautiful. Really loved the vocals.

Totamus - Again, great vocals. The song just made me smile! Well done

Whalebot - Deep and poignant. Very well played and sung.

• Members

I finally got a chance to listen to the rest of the entries.

Frets99- The D10 is sounding great man, and you've got a really good voice. I enjoyed that song immensely. I'm glad you didn't forget! :)

MattSkibaIsGOD- I absolutely loved this song. PLUS 10! Keep writing bro, because you're doing good!

Guitarplayer- You are a good electric player. I hope you post some acoustic stuff sometime soon.

Knowspicker- Very good job on a tremendously difficult song to sing. I enjoyed it.

I truly hope I didn't miss anybody. I think this is one of the best VOM's ever. Whale, MattSkiba, Michael, Stack...I know there are others. I truly envy great song writing ability--Something I do not have--Excellent work guys!

God Bless and Merry Christmas everybody!

RT1:thu::thu::thu::thu:

• Members
I finally got a chance to listen to the rest of the entries.

Frets99- The D10 is sounding great man, and you've got a really good voice. I enjoyed that song immensely. I'm glad you didn't forget!
:)

MattSkibaIsGOD- I absolutely loved this song. PLUS 10! Keep writing bro, because you're doing good!

Guitarplayer- You are a good electric player. I hope you post some acoustic stuff sometime soon.

Knowspicker- Very good job on a tremendously difficult song to sing. I enjoyed it.

I truly hope I didn't miss anybody. I think this is one of the best VOM's ever. Whale, MattSkiba, Michael, Stack...I know there are others.
I truly envy great song writing ability--Something I do not have--Excellent work guys!

God Bless and Merry Christmas everybody!

RT1:thu:
:thu:

Thanks a million RT. It really makes me smile to hear that someone likes my writing.

• Members

Wow - what a great community here. This is one of the first times I've participated in the VOM, and I just wanted to say thank you to everybody who took the time to listen to my submission and comment - really appreciated.

I'll give all of yours a listen as well - really looking forward to it. :thu:

Archived