VOM 11 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, December 14, 2008

Stackabones

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've really enjoyed listening to everybody's stuff.

Fussenkuh- Fine job. That old Jag sounds great.

Pscaafs- Great voice. Beautiful song

Michael Martin- I love that sound. My favorite KIND of song. Excellent work my friend.

Riffmeister- As always, your mastery of the guitar is truly amazing. I envy your ability. Beautifully done.

Stackabones- I was greatly entertained by this work. You're good at what you do.

joshmac- Excellent sound. Very lively and upbeat, a real hand-clapper (obviously).

Kwakatak- Smooooooth! The Larrivee is sounding good. I loved the pull-offs. You did a wonderful job. The Christmas Tree really completed the scene.

mrmoe- Excellent job as always. The fiddle is cool too.

brianwahl- Magnificent sound. Took a long time to load, but man, it was worth it.

bobc- It's a rockabilly Christmas! Fun song and you done good. As I've said in the past, you have a great voice.

c70man- Great classic tune. I really liked your version of it.

TAH- I had heard this song before on your website. A great tribute to the memories of being a kid. Good job.

guitarist21- Your are becoming quite the entertainer. Wonnderful job! That was fun.

Queequeg- Beautiful rendition of a classic. I've got to get me one of them guitars. It sounds magnificent.

Highway 61- Great instrumental. Very busy and I really liked your sound.

Samilyn and Garthman- I've tried to find the right words to say about this piece, but I'm having a hard time. I really enjoyed it very much and I love that sound. It was very moving, dark and mysterious to me. A fine collaboration and a Great job!

g6120- Thank you for posting this. Very touching and wonderfully done.

RT1

• Members
Fussen Kuh, distorted rock guitar tones can be used in very melodic ways as you demonstrate....good job!

pschaafs, nice finger-picked tune and vocals in a minor key.

MM, liked the waltz feel and the back-n-forth from major to minor, and of course your references to the Christmas Carols were way cool, I particularly liked the way you used 7th chords to add tension in what are normally very consonant sounding songs.

Stack, very nice original, love the jazz chord strum accompanyment!

joshmac, you captured a very cool live performance, always nice to have some audience participation!

kwak, your fingerstyle original has a very gentle feel and flows ever so smoothly......nice job and I like the Christmas tree in your vid!

RT1, great guitar sound (as always) and I like the "strain" in your vocals when you sing in higher registers.....really adds emphasis to the song.

mrmoe, loved it a second time around, the violin adds a nice new dimension!

brianwahl, like the capo'd voice of the guitar, great vocals & dynamics!

bobc, great lyrics and syncopated blues accomanyment!

C70man, a classic, and I really like the guitar arrangement.

TAH, a very fine high-energy song about your daughter, thanks for sharing!

Ellen, a very entertaining song and I LOL'd when you dubbed the subtitle "just kidding"! :D

Queequeg, cool jazz box you got there and nifty arrangement of a classic!

Hiway 61, sorry, I couldn't get your song to play...

Sammye & Garthman, very nice sounding arrangement of vocals, guitar, and synth....it works very well!

Totamus, are those lyrics really about candy?? ;) very nicely done, excellent guitar work.

whale, that was truly excellent and you win the award for most creative use of bells! :D

Dak, as always, you deliver a very heart-felt performance......hope all is well with you.

• Members

Otis and I just returned to SoCal so over the next few weeks I can get my recording capabilities back. In the meantime, here's a take on a Mickey Newberry tune, 33rd Of August I did before my trip as a possible filler for times I did not have time to do a recording on a Sunday. It is not a song for the holidays but I'm not in a holiday mood anyway.

• Members

FussenKuh- Didn't know you were an electric guy as well! I bet that would sound great on acoustic, even though you say you lack skill to play it acoustically. I love the sound of one acoustic playing a melody and another comping chords.

MM- Took forever to download but it was worth it. :thu: The guitar sounds great and you have a really distinctive voice.

Riff- Very beautiful. The drop-tuning really gave it more depth than it would have had in standard; it made the guitar sound huge.

Stack- I loved it! Really playful and fun.

Joshmac- That's a really hard song to sing, and you pulled it off nicely. Good work!

Kwak- First of all your house is gorgeous. Second of all, so is your song. Also, it's kind of neat that you're standing up. Anything that prompted that move in particular?

RT1- What a great recording! The guitar sounds really clear and clean. I've never been a fan of contemporary Christian music, but you've made it bearable. :D

Mrmoe- I recognized the tune immediately and I enjoyed the updated version very much. Love the violin!

C70man- I think it sounded great with the pick. Really brought out the single-note lines and the cool double-stop things.

TAH- I liked that song when I first heard it and I still do.

Q- Is that your Eastman? It's beautiful.

Sam and Garth- Awesome work with the collaboration! I'd love to see more people collaborating, because your song turned out really nice.

Bot- The bells made me smile. I still listen to the CD you sent me, and I loved watching this video because your voice has matured a lot. It sounds like you're more confident in your voice. Great work!

Keep them coming folks! These sound great.

• Members

Okay Git21, I have to post this OT just to say I love the Avatar! You've identified my favorite all time comic strip hero. Calvinman to the rescue!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming....

RT1

Totamus- Great job man. I agree with Riff, those lyrics are rather questionable :D. I enjoyed it very much.

Whale- That old ass classical sounds really good. Very original song and your performance of it was excellent.

Dak- Very heartfelt and well done. A perfect tune for your style and voice. +1

• Members

Okay Git21, I have to post this OT just to say I love the Avatar! You've identified my favorite all time comic strip hero. Calvinman to the rescue!

Now, back to our sponsors....

RT1

In this role I do believe he refers to himself as Stupendous Man. Spaceman Spiff is his alter-alter ego.

• Members

Wow! Cool stuff all around. Too much good stuff to comment on without fear of forgetting someone. :thu:

This is the first VOM1T I've been home for in a long time. I missed the last 3 or 4. :cry:

Work gave me a new laptop a few weeks ago. I just realized it has a built in web cam. I gave it a test run earlier today in the middle of the chaos I call home (1100 sq. ft. house with a wife, 3 kids and a dog running around in the background :lol:). It was hard to judge the sound with all of the noise in the background, but I think it will work well for You Tube.

I will be joining VOM1T for the first time today if I can get a few moments of quiet time. :eek::wave:

• Members

Alright, I had big plans for this month's VOM1T...but instead I ended up procrastinating until the day of. My plan was to do some tunes from Nutcracker, since I already had a version of Dance of the Sugarplum Fairy...but I never got around to finding any of the other tunes to learn. And the version I have doesn't even have the bridge, so I thought I'd learn that on my own, and then never got around to it.

In the end that left me with, to paraphrase David St. Hubbins, "a cozy 30 seconds of material." So I decided to throw on Kemp's Jig at the end. Yes, it has nothing to do with Christmas much less the Nutcracker, but it's quick and easy and sort of festive.

Oh, also, apparently I recorded this in "lowest volume possible" mode...so you can't even really hear it.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members
Michael Martin
- Teenage Wasteland. Oh yeah, I know this tune. Oh no, wait this is different. Hey great job. Great mix of vox & guitar. Right on, man.

:) Any resemblance to a PT song by one of my own is purely unintentional as well as practically inevitable, probably.

Actually, while I never connected this song of mine with Baba O'Reilly, I have another song (True Love) that was very intentionally adapted from it. Maybe I'll record it for VOM 12.

Many thanks to all who have commented--I've listened to the early postings in this thread (such as Fuss's totally marvy Greensleeves) but haven't yet clicked through them all, because I'm spending this entire godforsaken day writing final exams that I give in the AM. After that, I will immerse myself fully in the aural landscape of your collective wondrous works and give you some keenly insightful feedback of my own.

• Members

Gthom
- sounds gooQd. Yes, I wish your levels were up a little higher. That's a great tune. I started learning that a couple years ago and caved on it. Maybe move the camera so that we get a straight on as opposed to profile. You got a great left hand on that guitar, and that ain't no kidding.

Thanks for the kind words....just a quick note about the volume, I'm still not sure what the problem was. I used a computer mic that I had clipped to my music stand right in front of me, I've used it at that distance before without a problem. My laptop has terrible built in speakers so I couldn't really tell what the volume was since I normally listen through headphones.

But, it turns out that you can't hear it...by the time I realized that it was already uploaded to youtube and I wasn't going to go through the hassle of re-recording. Now if I could just figure out some technical problem on which to blame the tempo issues.

• Members

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7149324

This is a song I wrote the other day after watching a show about Lou Reed. Like all my songs, it's also about a girl. I played it on my mom's old as dirt Martin copy as I am currently "6-stringless."

All I've heard so far is Joshmac, but when I get to the lot of you, I'll make sure to comment.

• Members

guitarplayer- great strumming. You got volume/gain to spare. You should meet Gthom half way. Interesting video. I mean, not that I found your foot interesting, but interesting that you would shoot it that way.

Yeah, I was sitting on the floor to plug in my Marshall and decided to pick up my old acoustic. Hadn't picked it up in a long time. And there was my camera, I figured, let's see how this sounds. I'll do another with fingerstyle and no foot!

Archived