VOM 11 -- Virtual Open Mic @ HCAG, Second Sunday, December 14, 2008

Stackabones

• Members

FussenKuh: Very cool version of What Child is This. Really enjoyed the tone and the feel of the playing. Thanks for offering the tab, too!

pschaafs: The way you sang/performed that was really captivating. Your vocals worked really well with the guitar playing. Well done!

Michael Martin: I tried to visualize the painting you described as I listened. I was feeling it. Great composition of the song, and good performance!

riffmeister: Beautiful playing (I'm jealous!), and the guitar sounds really, really nice. Loved the melody.

Stackabones: I dig it! Cool vibe with this tune. Love the rhythm of the guitar and the vocals are great. Really easy to listen to. Makes me excited to go see some family over the holidays.

joshmac: I've covered Jason Mraz before, and it's hard to sing that stuff - you did a great job! You have a really nice voice. Great performance on the song - I'm going to say I enjoyed hearing your version better than the original.

I'll listen to the rest as I have time. Looking forward to it.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just finishing up.....

Highway61.....The opening is a little confusing there, soooo many notes! But Damn, it came alive pretty nicely.....A little Steven Stills in ya there...excellent job.

Totamus........Love your voice in that song. Reminds me of Leon Redbone. The guitar work sounds great too.

Whalebot.....Can you reverse the vid so I can tell what chords your playing? Very nice song, and very nice voice.

DAK........You should take some raw honey and tea for that throat of yours....
Just kiddin, I will kill to be able to sing like that.....loved it.

gthom......killer man. I really enjoyed it!

guitarplayer....nice camera work....well we all know what you don't do for a living....;) Nice song and good playin.

Frets99......Really good song, great job!.....I couldn't hear who wrote it....who was it again?

Knowspicker.....You held those tough notes really well.....pretty good there!

• Members

Finally got to listen to the rest....

Gthom, very nice, I like how you can read without looking at your fretting hand. I also play Kemp's Jig, it's always a crowd pleaser!

Frets99, loved it, a very flowing and engaging tune, great job!

guitarplayer, great jangly guitar sound you get! Cool piece with lots of open strings and big, bold chords! P.S. I favor Gold-Toe socks, too! ;)

MSIG, great piece, I loved everything about it, you are a very talented singer/songwriter! I particularly like the lyrics......a little bit of mystery and a lot of imagery which made me think......good stuff! :thu:

knowspicker, beautiful voice and guitar sounds on a Christmas Classic, great job!

• Members
Finally got to listen to the rest....

Gthom
, very nice, I like how you can read without looking at your fretting hand. I also play Kemp's Jig, it's always a crowd pleaser!

Frets99
, loved it, a very flowing and engaging tune, great job!

guitarplayer
, great jangly guitar sound you get! Cool piece with lots of open strings and big, bold chords! P.S. I favor Gold-Toe socks, too!
;)

MSIG
, great piece, I loved everything about it, you are a very talented singer/songwriter! I particularly like the lyrics......a little bit of mystery and a lot of imagery which made me think......good stuff!
:thu:

knowspicker
, beautiful voice and guitar sounds on a Christmas Classic, great job!

Thanks a million Riff. I really appreciate the feedback on my songwriting.

• Members

This is a song I wrote the other day after watching a show about Lou Reed. Like all my songs, it's also about a girl. I played it on my mom's old as dirt Martin copy as I am currently "6-stringless."

All I've heard so far is Joshmac, but when I get to the lot of you, I'll make sure to comment.

I think this ones the last I missed. Sorry MattskibaIsGOD. There is something very earthy, for lack of a better word, in your writing. Very Americana. At one point I kinda wanted to hear a fiddle jump in or even a harp. Love the melody. I thought about driving in a car with the top down, on a deserted highway somewhere in western Iowa or Nebraska, passing the Wahl Drug signs one after another, passing an old deserted cemetery with a lone child placing flowers on an obcsured gravestone. Pretty wierd I know. But your song does bring thoughts to mind so it must be a good tune. Keep up the writing, you're on to something.

• Members

I think this ones the last I missed. Sorry MattskibaIsGOD. There is something very earthy, for lack of a better word, in your writing. Very Americana. At one point I kinda wanted to hear a fiddle jump in or even a harp. Love the melody. I thought about driving in a car with the top down, on a deserted highway somewhere in western Iowa or Nebraska, passing the Wahl Drug signs one after another, passing an old deserted cemetery with a lone child placing flowers on an obsured gravestone. Pretty wierd I know. But your song does bring thoughts to mind so it must be a good tune. Keep up the writing, you're on to something.

Thank you very much for listening and taking the time to give me feedback. I am very pleased that my song stirred something in you. It means a whole lot to me that you commented on my writing, because outside of this forum, I have no way to get feedback from people who know songwriting. Thanks again.

• Members

Potius sero quam nunquam, I always say...this VOM caught me in finals week--finally got to give a listen this evening, at least to the first page or so.

Fuss--I love that Greensleeves take--and I covet your guitar. Is that a Jazzmaster? Well played, sir.

pschaafs--I do not know this Kate Wolf--great song. Sweet fingerstyle by you and I admire your vocals.

riff--artfully played and I love the lighthearted mood. A nice contrast with all the minorish stuff that winter seems to inspire!

stack--a very fun song. Do I hear a touch of The King here and there? Really enjoyed that.

joshmac--I've actually heard that song done at an OM before, more than once--and I must say you do it better than I've heard it previously. Is that your band? You guys sound good together. Love the "live show" ambience.

kwak--great video! If I ever get video-savvy/video-capable, I'll take my cue from you. Love the setting. Really nicely played too. I especially loved the ascending/descending part after the pause. Very delicately and soulfully wrought. Angelic, even.

Rectrack1--I do love that playing style--the rhythmic guitar and your vocals a perfect match. Had not heard that song before (nor heard of the band)--well done, man!

MrMoe--always look fwd to your bit. "Big muddy dog"--very imageable! You were great as usual, with guitar and vocal, but even cooler now with the fiddle. I've just started playing with a violinist, and I aspire to getting to where we play together as well as you two did.

brian wahl--I chose the original (and yes the HD was too slow, but the regular video was fine)--good strong vocals really carries the song. I can easily "hear" that piece filled out with more instruments--esp. bass/percussion.

bobc--boy does that bring back memories--etch-a-sketches and spirographs! I remember those Xmases well. Good thing it didn't get to the point where someone strangled someone else with a slinky! Or got into a Lawn-Dart battle! Funny song, well done. I wish I had a sense of humor.

C70man--Love that tune--we used to sing along with Mitch (Miller) on that one, playing on the hi-fi. Nice guitar work--I don't know from Steve Goodman style, but I admire your adaptation. You said there were other tunes to be found as part of the recording, but I couldn't discern any--what/where were they? Inquiring minds want to know! And merry Xmas to you too.

TAH--As others have said, great harp! Sweet song too. Kinda touched me especially, because I have a daughter named Katie too (turned sweet 16 last month!)

Guitarist21--You is funny lady! Like I said above--love the sense of humor. It'd be fun to see you do a set of numbers, because you're such an engaging performer. I do not know this musical "Wicked"...but cool song. Very clever.

Queeq--Sweetly played--what is that awesome guit? Great song--my mom used to sing that one. I didn't realize that it was WWII era--now it all makes sense.

Hwy61--"Siren Song" has a very cool tone/feel/vibe. Intricate! What were you playing?

Garth and Sami--What ambience! So very "old country" in mood. This time I understood the words, Garth--lovely vocals either way. Well played by both of you, and well-engineered, Sami! The two parts woven together quite seamlessly. Next collaboration you should both sing. Wouldn't that be something? What to call y'all? I know: Sami and Garthfunkel!

g6120--Ah yes, very Geldoffian! Quite a production for all of you to pull something like that off. I'd never heard of that charity so good on you and the others for your efforts.

And that's where I stopped (for now). Many thanks for those who gave me feedback on my bit. Your comments mean a great deal to me.

• Members

C70man
--Love that tune--we used to sing along with Mitch (Miller) on that one, playing on the hi-fi. Nice guitar work--I don't know from Steve Goodman style, but I admire your adaptation. You said there were other tunes to be found as part of the recording,
but I couldn't discern any--what/where were they?
Inquiring minds want to know! And merry Xmas to you too.

I practice his playing style every day. I love what he does with chords and open notes, especially all his turn arounds. It's just a lot of fun trying to figure out what he's doing. Listen to these below and you will know what I mean about coping from his style...

"Dying Cubs Fan Last Request"......intro and ending

"Sin to Tell a Lie"....turn arounds

• Members

Fuss
--I love that Greensleeves take--and I covet your guitar. Is that a Jazzmaster? Well played, sir.

Thanks Michael! I really appreciate the feedback and the kind words. As for the guitar, it's nothing as spiffy as a Jazzmaster. It's actually a '98 Fender Toronado. For it's price, I think it's a fantastic guitar and wouldn't trade it for anything... well almost anything. It's just too bad Fender stopped making them a few years ago.

• Members

Well folks, I've finally had the opportunity to get through all the great songs that made up this months VOM. As usual, there's a boat-load of talented people in this bunch and I'm grateful that I can simply be a part of it. Great work everyone!

pschaafs - Can't say I'm familiar with the song, but you played it beautifully.

Michael Martin - This is one great song you've created, MM! Granted, it didn't leave me in a cheery holiday mood, but then again, I don't think that was its intent ;) Great job! Of course, the real question is, did all of your students pass your exam?

riffmeister - Simply beautiful. This piece is a clear example of one of the reasons why I love instrumentals. Keep up the great work!

Stackabones - What a cool little Christmas diddy :thu: I really enjoyed the tune!

joshmac - I'm not familiar with Jason Mraz, but I was really digging the upbeat vibe of this tune. Great job!

kwakatak - You say some of that is improvised? Which parts? The whole thing seemed to fit and flow so perfectly together. Fantastic job!

recordingtrack1 - Very nice tune! Although I can't say I'm familiar with the original artist, I wouldn't hesitate to say you did a great job recreating the song.

mrmoe - Fantastic! I enjoyed the original tune when it aired a few months back and I think the fiddle really adds another great dimension to the tune. Great work!

brianwahl - Great tune and very well song/played, Brian! I loved the lyrics.

bobc - Super-Soaker Drive-By... awesome :lol: Thanks for making me smile!

C70man - Great holiday tune and I really enjoyed your rendition of it... I even liked the minute long intro/description you included :thu:

Terry Allen Hall - What a great tune for your daughter. Great playing and I dug that harmonica!

guitarist21 - No I haven't seen Wicked, but yes, the song was still quite charming to listen to! Loved those bloopers at the end too :lol: Hope you made it to class on time.

Queequeg - Fantastic instrumental rendition of this classic Christmas tune... and played on one fantastic looking and sounding guitar! Well done!

Highway 61 - Wow... I don't know what you did to get that sound on that guitar, but I love it!

Samilyn and Garthman - What a great collaboration piece! Very moving. The two of you deserve a round of applause... if only there was an emote for that...

g6120 - Very touching, Gil. Thanks for sharing.

totamus - Great guitar work as usual, totamus. Makes me think of Van Halen's "Ice Cream Man"

Whalebot - This song is fantastic even if it is played on an "old ass" guitar. I wish I had a voice like yours ;)

daklander - You always impress, dak. It's always a treat to hear your great guitar work and voice.

gthom - You weren't kidding about that "lowest volume possible" setting! But, a quick turn of the volume knob fixed that problem. Great mix of tunes. I personally preferred the jig, but then, I've always been a sucker for a well played jig.

guitarplayer - Great tone on that guitar of your! I love fooling around with Drop D tuning, but have yet to pull off something that sounds a pleasant as this tune.

Frets99 - Glad you remembered the VOM ;) Great playing and singing!

MattSkibaIsGOD - Quality... just pure quality in both the playing and lyrics. My hat's off to you, sir.

knowspicker - Very well played Mr. Knowspicker! You have a great voice.

I think that's everyone... please forgive me if I've left anyone out

• Members
Michael Martin
- This is one great song you've created, MM! Granted, it didn't leave me in a cheery holiday mood, but then again, I don't think that was it's intent
;)
Great job! Of course, the real question is, did all of your students pass your exam?

Not quite there yet--but I can already say that the answer to your question is "no". In fact, a kid who thinks he's graduating on Saturday...isn't, officially. I feel badly, but as my bad-cop colleague Heidi reminded me today: you don't GIVE grades...the students EARN them. Look guys--I am NOT a hard-ass. If this kid was within shoutin' distance of a D-, he'd get it. But he damn sho ain't.

Haven't had a moment to go back and review the last several VOM 11 submissions--though I did check out MattSkibaIsGod's entry due to all the accolades...and jeez it's true. What a fine piece of work, MSIG! You is a songwriter par excellence! How can you not be famous already?

• Members

Not quite there yet--but I can already say that the answer to your question is "no". In fact, a kid who thinks he's graduating on Saturday...isn't, officially. I feel badly, but as my bad-cop colleague Heidi reminded me today: you don't GIVE grades...the students EARN them. Look guys--I am NOT a hard-ass. If this kid was within shoutin' distance of a D-, he'd get it. But he damn sho ain't.

Haven't had a moment to go back and review the last several VOM 11 submissions--though I did check out MattSkibaIsGod's entry due to all the accolades...and jeez it's true. What a fine piece of work, MSIG! You is a songwriter par excellence! How can you not be famous already
?

I am grinning from ear to ear as I type this. I cannot thank you folks enough for all the kind words. Songwriting is as painful, beautiful, and frustrating cross to bear, but all this lovely feedback makes me feel that I'm on the right path.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and comment. I reckon it's time to take these songs to an actual open mic and see what happens.

• Members

I've just finished listening to all the submissions and really enjoyed the trip. There was a lot of great stuff, and I was especially impressed with the original songs - you folks really had some nice songs.

Thanks to all who listened to and those provided feedback on my tune.

• Members

Seems I'm running way behind in everything these days and have less and less time for music (a 2 and 4 year old can do that to you as I'm sure some of you know!). But here I am on Christmas Eve to listen and say MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!! I look forward to a much better year in 2009!

Fussenkuh- Nice electric version! great tone too, what kind of electric was that? a Gibson?
Pschaafs- Very well played and sung with passion! Enjoyed that song and I can see why it captivated you!
Michael Martin- Awesome!! Pure poetry, truly enjoyed your song!
Riff- Simply Beautiful! Not only the guitar tone but full of feeling!
Stack- Great Christmas song! Nice groove!
Joshmac- Well I admit I don't know Jason Mraz's music at all so I googled him and watched him perform this song live. Great cover! You did a great job on that song!
Kwakatak- What can I say? You moved me with your beautiful composition! Thank You!
recordingtrack1- Man I wish I had your recording setup! Very nice audio and great song!!
Mr. Moe- I remember this song of yours and I must say you really improved on it greatly with the added fiddle! A whole new dimension!!
Brian Wahl- Amazing! I only listened to the first one since it is a one song deal but enjoyed that a lot!
Bob C- What a fun Christmas song!!
C70man- Really nice picking! Enjoyed your rendition!!
Terry- Ww your harp work reminded me of Blues Traveler a lot! Sweet song!!
guitarist21- Not familiar with Wicked but it is a nice song and very well performed by you!
Queequeg- Thanks for the history, beautiful rendition!!
Highway 61- Superb work!!
Samilyn & Garthman- What a beautiful fantastic collaboration!! Kudos to you both for a great song!!
Totamus- Great take on that old song! Superb picking!!
Whalebot- That was awesome!!
Daklander- Always enjoy listening to your stuff!
Gthom- Very Nice!! you weren't kidding about the low volume!
guitarplayer- Curious camera angle thewre but really great playing!!
Frets99- Kenny Chesney is not someone I listen to so your cover was new to me. Great performance!
MattSkibaIsGOD- Awesome song!! Enjoy listening to your songs a lot!!
Knowspicker- What a nice rendition and a great way to close the VOM!!

Have a great Christmas and hear you all next year!!

• Members
Fussenkuh
- Nice electric version! great tone too, what kind of electric was that? a Gibson?

Thanks Gil! I really appreciate the feedback :)

As for the guitar, it's a '98 Fender Toronado. It's unfortunate that they only made them for a few years before they killed their production.

Merry Christmas to all!!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived