36 strings

Freeman Keller

• Members

I thought it would be kind of interesting to compare my 3 twelve string guitars, so I did a little cutting and pasting with Audacity. Here is the same song, one of the first ones that I truely identified with the 12 string, recorded on 3 very different guitars.

The song is the old Roof Top Singers version of Walk Right In, and for many of us back in the 60's, the left and right handed Gibson 12's were one of our first introductions to that sound. I've never seen tab, so I sort of figured out a simple version (if anyone can point me to tab I'd like to find out how it is really done). Here are the players, in order that they appear on the clip

Martin D12-28, thirty years old. Big boomy Martin dread, happens to be tuned to concert (E) and strung with lights (however normally I have it down one or two half steps). Short scale, spruce over rosewood - pretty normal 12 string dreadnaught.

Keller OM12-42, two years old. This was my attempt at building a finger style 12'er. Deep OM. sitka over rosewood, short scale, top is a little more lightly braced than the Martin. Strung with mediums, tuned down two half steps (D)

Keller LB-12, two weeks old. My copy of an old Stella style ladder braced 12 for playing old timey blues. Grand Concert size, very long scale (26.2"), red (Adi) spruce over mahogany, simple ladder bracing. Strung with "heavies", tuned four half steps down ©.

http://media.putfile.com/Walk-Right-In-X-3

IMG_2024.jpg

• Members

Thank you for doing that. Being a total noob, it is very helpful having side by side comparisons. First of all, these are beautiful guitars, the Martin seems most clear and the brightest, the 42 is boomy though still a clear voice, and finally the 12...seemed like it was muddy. I don't know how much of any of this is contributed by tuning. The LB-12 is a very sweet looking guitar, love the tailpiece. Thanks again Freeman, for sharing that side by side, and am I right in what I noticed? I know you weren't looking for a critique, it wasn't one. Just happy to have my ears checked.

• Members

Very interesting Freeman--I'm also not sure how much the different tunings contributed to my opinion, but I think I like the sound of the OM-12 the best, though I can't quite tell you why :lol:

However, I think in a few years I'd prefer the LB-12. Damn if that baby doesn't sound just like a Stella--you nailed it on that one.

• Members

I like the first and second one. Two very distinctive tones and I liked them both.

I have to agree with Kwak, and others, about the new one though. Maybe I just don't know anything about the history of the old "Stella", but it doesn't have much to it, to my ears. It sounds like a bunch of loose rubberbands.

No offense Freeman. I'm no expert so I don't pretend to sound like I know what I'm talking about. That is a beautiful guitar you have put together and I have all the respect in the world for you and your abilities. Maybe it does need to loosen up or maybe be tuned up a half step or it needs different strings. But it just doesn't have it, for me.

• Members

Seems like there's more of a "sameness" to my ear when dealing with 12 strings, especially after they've gone through the recording process. Just all those strings ringing out creating that sound.

While there are lots of things I look for when playing a 6 string acoustic...(things like separation, projection, sustain, balance, volume, tone etc....)

When playing a 12 string, there's this one "900 pound gorrilla" in the room: namely bass. All those high strings clashing and splashing, you need a very bottom heavy guitar to get a balanced sound. This doesn't necessarily mean that the guitar has to be huge. Small guitars and mahogany topped guitars that would normally be very mid-heavy as 6 strings can often work well as a 12.

Archived