Do any of you buy acoustic guitars online without ever trying them first?

Alice 'N Chainz

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, I have bought online, but rarely do I even bid on a model which I have never played in person. You really need to be very careful with ebay auctions. I have seen some real bargains there, but more often than not the guitars go for as much or even more than the discounted, street price. For most guitars (except for the boutique instruments like Santa Cruz, Goodal, Collings, etc) find the list price on the manufacturer's site, and deduct 40% to find the street price. You can also get automatic online quotes from places like Elderly and 8th street music. Unless you are saving a substantial amount of money it makes sense to purchase new in order to get the lifetime warranty. If you plan to keep the instrument the lifetime warranty will eventually pay itself back, and more.

• Members

most brands have a somewhat distinct tone. Some brands are really consistent, others not so much so, but thats not neccesarily bad. Also if you play a guitar thats really similar and its the same brand you can have a fair idea what it would sound like. and some dealers have a short period for complete refunds (its short though). Most of the time quality control will make sure you don't shell out big bucks for a dud. but you never know

• Members

well, i bought my Martin-000 online...but i had played one in person prior..

see, I happend to be lucky, and my little Michelle that came in the mail was MUCH better than the 000 i had played at Guitar Center

but it could have been the opposite story

i would say...if they have a return policy...go for it...if they dont, and the price is just that cheap...go for it

but you reap what you sew

• Members

Originally posted by Alice 'N Chainz

I figure why should I be limited to what my local music store has to offer. Then again, at least I know what their guitars sound like. So what do you do? Ever bought online?

I have almost 95% good experiences buying online but it requires some skill. It also helps to use credit card protection and a reputable dealer with a return policy that favors the customer.

The good thing is availability of brands and models but the bad side is that you end up buying and selling many many more guitars to find the one you love. Pictures and internet specs CANNOT tell you what a guitar is like in person. They can be dramatically different than your fantasy of what that guitar is like.

I recommend combining internet shopping with visiting dealers in person to get the best possible chances of finding a sweetheart.

• Members

It's not as risky as you think. If you don't like it you can always post it on ebay and get your money back. At times I've even made a profit "flipping" a guitar I just bought. I like to buy old solid wood Harmony guitars for 100 or less and take them apart and rebuild them. Electrics aren't as much a risk because you can always swap out pickups and such.

• Members

I've done it quite a few times and rarely been disappointed. Yes, I buy and sell more than I should perhaps, but I enjoy the process.

I just received a Larrivee 00-09 I bought sight unseen, and it's one of my best purchases yet I think. :)

• Members

i have successfully bought guitars online.

i got my favorite acoustic mail order. my carvin cobalt 250. only way you can get it.

other places i trust to buy from online are:

http://www.elderly.com

http://www.guitaradoptions.com

(haven't bought a guitar from dave yet. but i have had contact with him in my looking and heard nothing but good here so i'd trust him)

i also do my own guitar work, so that takes some of the scare out of it. if i get a guitar with some setup issues it's no big deal for me to make some adjustments.

my carvin came set up wonderfully though. didn't have to do anything but add my usual strap locks, and added a pickup.

• Members

I'm in the same boat as Boggs, I bought my Cobalt 980(mw) online without trying it until it came to my door. I love the guitar and I don't regret it one bit. It plays and sounds really great. I think it comes pretty close to a Taylor without spending and arm & a leg. I'll be honest though, I was skeptical at first and I didn't jump into it right away. I read and read reviews and messageboard posts here and on Carvin's website and asked questions. I even went to Guitar Center to play other really high quality guitars, mostly Taylors, to see what I'd be getting when I got the Cobalt. Sure enough, it was the same really good action, loud clear brightness, and same great tone as a really expensive Taylor

• Members

The guitars I have bought online:

Martin D-15 - paid $245 about $250 savings for a used one !!!!!!!

Cort Earth GC 200

Larrivee OM-09 - paid $859 - prices on Larrivees vary WIDELY - the guitar is far and away the best guitar I have ever played

Art& Lutherie Ami

Tacoma DM-9

AND I have been completely and totally delighted with each and every one of them. I know there is some risk, but really there is risk buying anywhere if you think about it..

The Larrivee is beyond spectacular - the Martin is spectacular - The Cort is excellent - the Tacoma is superb - the A&L is as much fun as you can have with a guitar..

Take all prudent precautions, but buying online successfully is very much possible...

• Members

Piece of cake mostly. Do your research and always email or talk to the seller before committing. It gives you a good feel for them. If a guy comes off as a jerk and doesn't tell me what I want to hear, I move on. Some companies products seem to vary like crazy (low end Martins :eek: ), but the 4 purchases I have made were all as expected. A little luck also.

• Members

Yes, I bought a Carvin Cobalt C980 online. I'll echo what Boggs and ChrisNJ stated - I did plenty of research first, and felt there was no pressure as I could return it to Carvin (within the trial period) no questions asked.

OTOH, I bought a strat off ebay that had some setup issues. It "fretted out" on certain frets while bending. Of course that can be fixed, but that was one thing I couldn't know about when buying. Asking questions of the buyer only gets one so far. Overall, a minor complaint as the general condition was excellent. I was able to resell it no problem when I wanted a different type of guitar.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been lucky on my ebay purchases; Hav'nt got a 'dog' yet. Closest was a "Jay Turser" acoustic that looked/looks gorgeous. Did'nt do any research on these and was smitten by the inlay on fretboard and natural maple finish. Recieved it and foundout it was Korean.. Workmanship was top-notch though and it was 'N.I.B.'- Sound is too bright for my tastes and I overpaid for it. It's on consignment at local music store and I'll take what I paid for it.

Best so far is my 'Hashimoto' D-45 "copy" that 'Out-Martins' most Martins. I had to give this inst. a action job, but the tonality from the 'get-go' buries my Yamaki that till now was a pinnacle of sorts. I'm waiting on what may be my best buy yet - A Kevin Skaja handbuilt #123 Jumbo that is interesting in a couple respects- He's a luthier from Minnesota [unknown] who crafted this inst. in a wierd combo of woods - Ash [solid] sides and back, A certain variety of of spruce-can't remember-for top[solid] and birch! - for fretboard and bridge that seems stained dark-same wood for binding. Has a neat D-28 herringbone inlay around the soundhole. A very low-key look about it. The seller says it has a J-200 sound and the price... well - super low for a handmade inst. that has possibilities like this. I hope when I get it and play it, I'll be posting some good news. My jist is; research your buys 'cause the cost of shipping is gonna eat into the total and you really don't have the luxury of trying and returning economicaly. I suppose a mp3 or other recording could be sent but hav'nt heard of that offered yet.

Greystoke

• Members

I've bought a bunch of electrics (Route 101 Solimar, Aslin Dane Jazz 35, Fender '95 US tele) and been pleased with all of them. However, I have been much more disinclined to buy an acoustic online, because it always seems to me that there is much more variation from example to example seen in acoustics than in electrics (especially Fenders and fender-types; let's face it, they're basically a plank with a bolt-on neck, nothing too complex there!)

However, I do have one notable exception - in November 2000, I bought a Go Guitars Go-M travel guitar, because I wanted something specifically for the office and to bring on the road, and can't stand the feel of the Martin backpacker. That particular experience was great, and I was very satisfied, but it may be a little unusual, since Sam Radding builds each guitar to order, so it's not a high-volume production thing.

• Members

Originally posted by Alice 'N Chainz

I figure why should I be limited to what my local music store has to offer. THen again, at least I know what their guitars sound like. So what do you do? Ever bought online?

Buying online is certainly easy. Just make sure they have a good return policy to cover your bases if you are not satisfied.

P.S. I make every attempt to play the actual instrument I'm buying, esp if it's an acoustic, before the $$ gets handed over. There is always a lot of variability between instruments, even those of the same brand and model, again esp if it's an acoustic.

• Members

I don't see what the big fear is when buying a good, name-brand guitar online--even one that's used. Today, most of the better reputable makers turn out amazingly consistent acoustic guitars. If you like the sound of one Martin D-28, or Taylor 610, or Larrivee D-05, or whatever, the odds are that you'll like them all. If you line up ten of one model and rank them from better to worst, there will be one that's best and one that's worst. But the worst, barring a manufacturing flaw, will still be an excellent guitar with the signature sound of its type. I think that if you can save a few (hundred) bucks online, more power to you. I would, however, at least play the make and model that you intend to buy.

Case in point: when I bought my Taylor I really was looking for a Larrivee, either a D-04 or an 05. But I had never played one. I was interested on the strength of what I'd heard here and having played one of Larrivee's super premium guitars which blew me away. But I never could find anyone who had one to play. I would have bought one online but wouldn't trust to something I hadn't even really heard. Now, having played some, I really wish I had the D-05 instead of my Taylor.

The Preacher

• Members

All of my 3 top of the line guitars I purchased on-line.

My 1976 Guild F50R - purchased on ebay. It is an excellent guitar 100% satisfied.

I purchased my W65 Taylor 12-string on line at a dealer. I saw a photo of it. I sold it because it was a bit thin sounding and having regrets doing that. Would/Will buy another when I have the chance.

I purchased my Guild F512 sight unseen!!! Although I miss my Taylor I am happy with it. It sounds great and does look fantastic!

My wife purchased an Ovation (ultra model) The bridge had been broken right where the strings slots are, and the wood on the bridge was practically worn through near the low E. Got this one on ebay, those flaws were not viewable in the photos or mentioned in the description. But the guy who sold it was very good to deal with and remedied the problem.

• 3 years later...
  • Members

and birch! - for fretboard and bridge that seems stained dark-same wood for binding. Has a neat D-28 herringbone inlay around the soundhole. A very low-key look about it. The seller says it has a J-200 sound and the price... well - super low for a handmade inst. that has possibilities like this. I hope when I get it and play it, I'll be posting some good news. My jist is; research your buys 'cause the cost of shipping is gonna eat into the total and you really don't have the luxury of trying and returning economicaly. I suppose a mp3 or other recording could be sent but hav'nt heard of that offered yet.

Greystoke

I am looking at a SKAJA guitar also. Let me know how your works out.

Thanks Don

Archived