Larry Craigg Custom Bridge Pins

bmast160

• Members

I read through his testimony about what he does to acoustic guitars to "wake them up" which entails his special mix of bridge pins, straightening the neck, putting in a taller saddle and strumming the crap out of it for a while. He also says that Collings guitars are much louder than any Martin but the Martins have that "old" sound. For finger picking he prefers '50's Martins to all the PWs. He also says that the sound of Martins with scalloped bracing "folds" where non-scalloped braced Martins won't. He's Neil Young's go-to tech so there must be something to what he says.

• Members

k. what does he mean the sound of a scalloped martin "folds"?

I'd like to know what he means by that too. I have a lot of respect for Larry Cragg. He is a brillant guitar tech and a great player as well.

(And it's CRAGG, not CRAIGG or CRAIG, and he's not the closeted hypocrite Senator.:cop:)

• Members

I'd like to know what he means by that too. I have a lot of respect for Larry Cragg. He is a brillant guitar tech and a great player as well.

(And it's CRAGG, not CRAIGG or CRAIG, and he's not the closeted hypocrite Senator.
:cop:
)

"Are you looking at me? Are you looking at me??!!. I'm the only one in the room..."

Folds: tanks, loses string definition/articulation, goes to mud, lost in the mix ... who knows what he means? I read the whole interview and that brief bit about bracing is all I got. The article wasn't subject specific but rather all over the place with an emphasis on electrics.

Edit: I also recall his preference for older ladder bracing. I assume his bracing preference is predicated on driving the top with hard strumming.

• Members

So, for a 12-string, you'd want 3 ebony and 9 water buffalo horn?

Interesting...think I'll write Mr. Cragg and get his thoughts on this.
:idea:

Heard back from him on my 12-string question:

"Terry, yes , that is what I send out for 12 strings. Larry"

Think I'll order some and see how it flies.

• Members

Heard back from him on my 12-string question:

"
Terry, yes , that is what I send out for 12 strings. Larry
"

Think I'll order some and see how it flies.

So, what color is WB horn? Your bridge may end up looking like a Kentucky smile.

• Members

Just a note that those are available on eBay for $12 to $16 for a set with free shipping. Just search for "buffalo bridge pins".

Tony (who does have a set of those someplace but still likes his bone ones)

Archived