Bridge pin question

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I hope this bridge pin thread doesn't cause the {censored}storm my last one did. :p

Say a guitar has slotted bridge pins with the slot going through the collar (or skirt or whatever you want to call it). Would another slotted bridge pin of the exact measurements with the slot not going through the collar work just as well fit wise?

• Members

First things first:

guitargoat.jpg

Hopefully, a goat will keep the guitar gods satisfied and will prevent this thread from turning into another train wreck. We've had a lot of those lately...

But I digress.

Now that that's out of the way, I haven't the slightest idea as to what you're even talking about. I don't think words are going to adequately describe what you're trying to get at...have you a picture or two? I think those would be helpful :thu:.

• Members

I hope this bridge pin thread doesn't cause the {censored}storm my last one did.
:p

Say a guitar has slotted bridge pins with the slot going through the collar (or skirt or whatever you want to call it). Would another slotted bridge pin of the exact measurements with the slot not going through the collar work just as well fit wise?

If you replace a bridge pin that is slotted through the skirt with one that is not, the pin will sit a bit proud of it's hole - assuming the current fit is good... Unless you slot the pin holes.

If you just replace slotted skirts with unslotted skirts without making any other changes, odds are good that your bridge may explode and blow off your pecker.

• Members

Pin%20slot%20style.jpg

Assume the pin on the right is in the guitar. The pin on the left is identical other than the difference shown in the picture. As far as proper fit in the bridge, will the one on the left work as well as the one on the right?

Thanks for the picture :).

Hmm...I see what you mean about the right pin having a longer groove than the pin on the left. I don't know that it would make much of a difference though. The collar of the pin would be quite close to the top of the bridge itself and I don't think the extra few millimeters of notching (or lack thereof) would affect the guitar at all. Worse come to worse, the strings will carve their own groove into the the pins on the left and all will be well.

• Members

Thanks for the picture
:)

Hmm...I see what you mean about the right pin having a longer groove than the pin on the left. I don't know that it would make much of a difference though. The collar of the pin would be quite close to the top of the bridge itself and I don't think the extra few millimeters of notching (or lack thereof) would affect the guitar at all. Worse come to worse, the strings will carve their own groove into the the pins on the left and all will be well.

You think a "few millimeters" would not make a difference!!!!?????

I work in aerospace engineering ane let me tell you, a "few millimeters" (1mm = .0394") is a huge amount. The jet engines I design and build have tolerances between 1 and 2 mm....and theses parts are 4 to 8 feet (1.3m to 3m) in diameter....you damn well right a few millimeters makes a difference.

Those groves should be within a (g)nats ass of perfect...:poke:

• Members

You think a "few millimeters" would not make a difference!!!!?????

I work in aerospace engineering ane let me tell you, a "few millimeters" (1mm = .0394") is a huge amount. The jet engines I design and build have tolerances between 1 and 2 mm....and theses parts are 4 to 8 feet (1.3m to 3m) in diameter....you damn well right a few millimeters makes a difference.

Those groves should be within a nats ass of perfect...:poke:

What the hell is a nat?

• Members

Pin%20slot%20style.jpg

Assume the pin on the left is in the guitar. The pin on the right is identical other than the difference shown in the picture. As far as proper fit in the bridge, will the one on the right work as well as the one on the left?

I see three options, Darkhorse.

1- Try to find the correct bridge pins.

2- Put slots in your bridge.

3- Try to elongate the groove in the pin. (Dremel tool would do the trick.)

Oh, I just thought of a fourth option. Try to find the bridge pin you lost.

• Members

I see three options, Darkhorse.

1- Try to find the correct bridge pins.

2- Put slots in your bridge.

3- Try to elongate the groove in the pin. (Dremel tool would do the trick.)

Oh, I just thought of a fourth option. Try to find the bridge pin you lost.

I didn't lose a bridge pin, just looking at getting some different pins and wondered whether the skirt is slotted or not makes a difference.

• Members

I'd think the fit of the pin wold be limited by the collar, regardless of how the slot was cut. Fit would be determined by diameter and taper. If all the pins are the same, you wouldn't have one riding high or low. On the guitar I'm looking at, the holes are sorta beveled so the slot wouldn't make a diff. But then again, I am wrong and a liar.

• Members

My non-expert opinion (free of charge, of course):

Without regard to the bridge, they'd both stop at the collar. However, if the bridge were slotted, the one on the right would be allowed to go all the way down to the collar, whereas the one on the left would go all the way down regardless.

If the bridge were not slotted, I would think the one on the right would not be given the best chance of making it's perfect fit, since it couldn't make it all the way down due to the string needing the slot on the pin to make it's way out.

In conclusion, the one on the left would work on a slotted or unslotted bridge, as far as a snug fit goes. The one on the right needs a slotted bridge to be able to attain that same snug fit.

Archived