V-Picks

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

V-Picks makes acrylic guitar picks. Their website is www.v-picks.com. They advertise that their picks get:

1. Richer, fatter and louder tone from your instrument.

2. Very smooth, gliding action helps you play faster and more accurately.

3. Ultimate grip and comfort. Sticks to your fingers. Relaxes your hand.

I bought two picks, most of their picks are $4 or $5 a piece. I bought the Acoustic (because they say its the best acoustic pick ever) and the Small Ultra Lite Pointed (because it was closest to the picks I'm currently using, Fender celluloid medium jazz picks).

Link to Acoustic Pick: http://www.v-picks.com/picks/24

Link to Small Ultra Lite Pointed: http://www.v-picks.com/picks/91

Both picks did as advertised as above. Considerably more volume compared to celluloid with same strength of attack. The tone was also fatter and richer, which I thought was rather nice on the treble string, which I think can sound a bit thin and tinny at times on acoustic. I heard more overtones too. Not a huge amount better than celluloid, but fairly noticeable. I also heard less sound from the pick rubbing against the strings.

I didn't like the Acoustic pick. It is 2.75 mm thick and virtually useless for strumming. They advertise it as designed to really drive the top of the guitar. It did that, getting a lot of volume. But I couldn't get comfortable with its thickness or large size. One complaint some have about v-picks is pick "chirp". The acoustic pick seemed to like to do that, though with some practice it got better. Finally, for the lack of better description, it made the tone too thick, too the point of losing some string clarity.

I really like the Small Ultra Lited Pointed. Strummed very well. Didn't have the pick chirp. Found it very comfortable to use. Just like my celluloid jazz picks, but with thicker, better tone, less pick noise, and good bit more volume.

Overall, I have to say celluloid picks have more bang for the buck considering the price differences. But I am already finding myself having a hard time going back to the celluloid jazz picks after trying the small ultra lite pointed. V-Picks has over 30 types of picks, and they say if you tried one and didn't like it, then you didn't try the correct one for you. I have to say they are right based on my experience.

• Members

2.75mm could be good for me. I currently use a Big Stubby 3mm, down from a Wegen 3.5mm (Wegens also have that pick chirp, too). Not sure I'd want to go below 2mm -- too much loss of tone and dynamics for me. The .8mm is out of the question, even on electric.

The clear color? Cool looking, but I'd lose one in minute on any floor. :lol:

• Members

I'll stick to my Titanium gold plated electro-polished felt lined bridge pins.

If I get above about .88, I might as well be strumming with a slab of reinforced concrete. I need lots of pick "flex" to play rhythm. Soloing is different, but even there I can't handle the stiffies. I belong to the Peter Buck school of plectrummery: heavy-ish strings, flimsy-ish picks.

My #1 all-purpose pick is the .73mm Snarling Dogs "Brain Pick" (the red ones). The black ones (.88) are better when playing really loudly. The purple ones (thinner than the reds) are nice for quiet playing. I love the "cat's tongue" texture--in fact, I've come to depend on it. shiny picks always slip out of position because of my light grip (feels weird to grasp a pick tightly--messes up mechanics).

But I'll have to try the V-pick. Never have held one. But the way I lose picks, I'd probably go broke...

• Members

I've tried several of their picks and have yet to find one that I like as much as my good ol' Dunlop .73mm nylon, but I will say that Vinni Smith is as sincere as they come, and truly wants his customers to be as pleased with his picks as he is. He's one of the 'good guys'.

• Members

Not crazy about the V-picks. I don`t like the tone or the scratchy pick sound. I like Tortis or Blue Chips much better myself.

I bought a few as well - like the feel, but don't like the sound at all: the thicker ones I favor produce the same "whistling" sound I get from a Dunlop Big Stubby. I've got a couple of Red Bear Tortis picks and like them, but one thing I've noticed is that there isn't any uniformity from one pick to the next (of the exact same shape/model). That drives me crazy, as I'm one of those weird people that can detect even miniscule differences. I've got a bunch of Wegens, and sometimes use them.

I'd like to try a Blue Chip, but try as I might, I haven't found anyone yet who can/will explain what makes them different. From just looking at the pics on their website, they look like plain old celluloid.... I realize they're not, but no one seems to be able to offer anything concrete about how they're different.

• Members

I'd like to try a Blue Chip, but try as I might, I haven't found anyone yet who can/will explain what makes them different. From just looking at the pics on their website, they look like plain old celluloid.... I realize they're not, but no one seems to be able to offer anything concrete about how they're different.

My highly subjective 2cts: to me they almost feel like they're made of aluminium, but covered with a coat of teflon. Not saying it's what they're made of, but it's the feeling I get. I have a TPR60 (1.5mm, two pointy tips, one rounded tip), and it has no give at all. I would expect a celluloid of pick of this size/thickness to have much more give. All tips are also beveled wegen-style.

I'm not a big fan of mine (it's OK, but not great), but I've never tried it on a steel string flat top, which I supposed is what it was designed for.

• Members

My highly subjective 2cts: to me they almost feel like they're made of aluminium, but covered with a coat of teflon. Not saying it's what they're made of, but it's the feeling I get. I have a TPR60 (1.5mm, two pointy tips, one rounded tip), and it has no give at all. I would expect a celluloid of pick of this size/thickness to have much more give. All tips are also beveled wegen-style.

I'm not a big fan of mine (it's OK, but not great), but I've never tried it on a steel string flat top, which I supposed is what it was designed for.

I flatpick alot of fiddle tunes on my Martin. They are GREAT for that. NO string noise and no friction, plus the tone is amazing.

• Members

The first time I broke a big stubby it really surprised me, but they are hollow and made out of a kind of brittle material. I like them alot, shape/thicknes/tone, but I wish they were made out of a little more durable material. The blue chips feel like a really thick pick without being really thick (if that makes sense). I find myself spending equal time between the blue chip and the red bear. I love the wegen BG but can`t seem to dig in like I can with the blue chip or tortis or even an Ultex/tortex for that matter.

• Members

My #1 all-purpose pick is the .73mm Snarling Dogs "Brain Pick" (the red ones). The black ones (.88) are better when playing really loudly. The purple ones (thinner than the reds) are nice for quiet playing. I love the "cat's tongue" texture

+1! now if only my local guitar shoppe would stock them, they really are addictive.

• Members

Thanks for the reply. A question if I may: your description of them as feeling as if they have a Teflon-coat implies they'd be slippery, but the website talks about them having a naturally "tacky" feel, so do they in fact feel slippery or secure?

• Members

any good Tortis picks can be recommended??

Assuming you actually mean "Tortis" and not "Tortex", Red Bear is THE manufacturer of Tortis picks; there isn't anyone else to compare them to. If you're asking about shape/thickness, I have a couple of the Style A's and they're pretty nice. One thing to keep in mind though is that most Tortis picks are quoted in approximate thicknesses, e.g., - 1.4 - 1.5mm - and they are truly individual as to both thickness, shape and bevel. The two I have are far from identical, though they were purchased at the same time, from the same store.

Archived