V-Picks

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

I had to come comment on this post. I dont post in this forum but I have about 10 of these V picks in my collection now. I keep them around to hand to friends to try. I am yet to hand one to someone and have them tell me anything but, "these things rock man!" :D

From the first time I picked one up I knew this was the pick for me. I used to play with Dunlop Jazz III's.

For those of you worried about the price, there is a guy here on these forums that sells them discounted and with free shipping out of GA.

heady dude - V picks.

With that said, anyone that has a Jazz 3 V pick, thats doesnt like it, PM me I'll buy it from ya. :thu: Those are my favorite - especially the nite glow ones. :thu:

• Members

Red Bear is a good one as are these:

Those ARE Red Bear picks.

In the mid-to-late 19th century there was a high demand for items made from the shell of the sea-going Hawksbill Turtle. It's shell had proerties that made it very desireable to the touch. It was warm and comfortable. It just plain "felt good" to the touch. It was immune to static charge. That's why so many items made from it were items that were held close to the body. Ladies' hair combs, knitting needles and fountain pens were but a few of these items made from the shell of the hawksbill turtle. The problem was that the shell material was difficult to come by and therefore very expensive. An alternative was sought out. A new material was formulated from a dairy by-product and this new material fit the bill very nicely.

For almost 40 years John Greven has toiled to find the perfect substitute for tortoise shell picks. This material fit the bill very nicely. After all, it was a fine substitute for the real thing back in Victorian times, so why not now? This is different than the material he uses for his pick guards, or for the picks he once made. This material is a polymerized animal protein that is very close chemically to real turtle shell. You could look at it as cultured turtle-shell. Many people who have tried picks made from this material cannot tell them apart from the real thing.

Since John is so very busy building his fine guitars, we have taken over his pick-making business. Neither he nor the company "Turtle-Works" are making these picks. They make pickguards. Red Bear Trading Company is the sole manufacturer of these picks. We call this material "New Tortis" to distinguish it from the Tor-Tis that is used for pick guards.

Janet Davis is just quoting from verbiage you can find at the Red Bear site.

• Members

The one I bought AT Janet Davis (when I bought my D-18) does not say Red Bear.. I have seen several different brand names..same Tortis.

The Blue Chips grip, but are not tacky. I have done probably 25-35 Bluegrass gigs with mine,haven`t dropped it and there are no signs of wear.

• Members

I like V-Picks, but I play electric. I had to work up to the 2.75mm ones from the Ultra Light Medium Pointed and then the Light Medium Pointed. The first V-Pick I bought was a Medium Rounded and I got a free Ultra Light Medium Pointed with it. I much preferred the Ultra Light Medium Pointed to the Medium Rounded that I ordered.

Then I moved up to Light Medium Pointed and now I've pretty much settled on the Regular (I think that's 2.75mm) Medium Pointed. I get the new Ruby Red ones because they're much easier to see than the clear ones.

• Members

I like the V-picks but I gotta say they do get scratchy and they are a little chirpy on acoustic guitars. I like my large rounded, medium rounded, and extra large thin (which broke in half the other day!) when used on electric, but I can't even get through a gig without it feeling like it's scratchy and sticking to the strings.

I freaking love my Red Bear extra heavy E shape, though. Best pick ever.

Archived