Recommend a good mid-level soundhole pickup

liko

• Members

We are welcoming a new member into our church's praise band. He plays a Yamaha solid-top that doesn't have any electronics. We've been miking him with an SM57, and the tonal results are good, but it's not always the most practical approach (for one, he has to stay pretty still otherwise he'll feed back or drop out of the mix; also, since it's a dynamic it has to be pretty close to the soundhole, interfering with strumming). Our previous guitarist, who just left for seminary, used a Dean Markley soundhole pickup plugged direct into a DI for the sole reason that it was cheap. Unfortunately, that was obvious from its tone; very plastic-sounding and mid-heavy.

I would like to purchase a soundhole pickup or two for the general use of acoustic guitarists in our band. They will be used with entry-to-mid-level guitars (one is a decent Yammie, the other guitar needing consideration is an Epiphone, I think) and, in the absence of an amp with integrated XLR out, will be plugged directly into a DBX DB12 active DI. EQ will most likely be at the board; it's not the most optimal solution, but spending for a couple GE-7s is not something I think I can persuade the bean counters to approve, so the pickup will need to produce a pretty balanced tone.

Let's say, for right now, that I want to stay under $120 per pickup (and if I have to spend that much it will probably be only one), and I would prefer something that doesn't use clamp mounts, but this is not set in stone (this is mainly to allow quick swaps between guitars, easier with a pressure-fit than clamps, but this need can be mitigated in most cases). I have little experience other than the one Dean Markley; I trust S-D and DiMarzio for electric pickups, but Fishman and L.R. Baggs know their way around an acoustic. I would prefer a passive, but if there is a self-contained active system that does a good job and fits my price range I'm willing to consider it.

• Members

I just played a solo fingerstyle song this Sunday at church...Yes it went really well...

I used a Larrivee L03R with the following:

Fishman Neo D single coil http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=27

Fishman GII Preamp: http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=19

Marshall AS50D: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSHAS50D

Sounds really nice...Lots of lows, mids, and highs. I filled this sancuary http://www.milwaukielutheran.org/#...check out the photo gallery. Many people in the Portland area rave about the acoustics in this place...and no, no reverb required:thu:

Oppps! I meant Neo D not Rare Earth...

• Members

I filled this sancuary
out the photo gallery. Many people in the Portland area rave about the acoustics in this place...and no, no reverb required:thu:

You're an ELCA too? Cool!

I'll check out the pickup; how does it do direct, with or without the preamp? Do you think the Neo-D series (same elements, no actives) with an outboard preamp would do well?

• Members

• Members

From strictly a tone perspective, I've found the Baggs M-1 passive to be excellent. It's a clamp-on, but therein lies some of its magic; the vibrating top is said to contribute to what the magnets are picking up. All I know is that it sounds more natural than any under-saddle piezo I've owned.

Unfortunately, at $139 it's $20 outside of your maximum budget, but perhaps with a discount code, coupon, or wheeling-and-dealing mom & pop store, you could find one for $120. Worth a search, IMO.

• Members

I really like my Fishman Neo-D. It's based on the Fishman Rare Earth, but for the budget conscious. ;)

They make a single coil, which is subject to the 60-cycle hum but some think it's a purer acoustic tone; and there is also a humbucker, which is what I have and I think it sounds a bit like an acoustic archtop tone. I have the passive model and run it through a Baggs Para DI, though it works decently in an amp with enough volume. Single coil is around $60 and the humbucker is about $80-100.

Easy install and clamp on. Just need a Phillip's head screwdriver. No need to even remove the strings. I like the fact that I can use it on any guitar I have. No feedback concerns unless you are cranked way up and you let go of the strings -- in those cases, the feedback is a warm one and not a high squeal.

• Members

I really like my Fishman Neo-D. It's based on the Fishman Rare Earth, but for the budget conscious.
;)

They make a single coil, which is subject to the 60-cycle hum but some think it's a purer acoustic tone; and there is also a humbucker, which is what I have and I think it sounds a bit like an acoustic archtop tone. I have the passive model and run it through a Baggs Para DI, though it works decently in an amp with enough volume. Single coil is around $60 and the humbucker is about $80-100.

Easy install and clamp on. Just need a Phillip's head screwdriver. No need to even remove the strings. I like the fact that I can use it on any guitar I have. No feedback concerns unless you are cranked way up and you let go of the strings -- in those cases, the feedback is a warm one and not a high squeal.

I made an error in my first post... I have the Neo D also and not the Rare Earth...and yes I still like the sound:thu:

• Members

The M1 is probably as good as you're gonna get that's near your price range. In fact, it's the 2nd best mag pup I've ever had (and I've had a bunch) after Sunrise. You're only gonna sound as good as your preamp though. Something like a Boss AD5 will set you back at least another $350 providing you can still find one.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous for churches to be flipping the bill for player's gear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Personally, I think it's ridiculous for churches to be flipping the bill for player's gear.

You are right in the general case; however, when the church owns its own drum kit (the drummer uses his own cymbals largely because those are very easy to transport and set up) and keyboard, while the vocalists carry their instrument with them 24/7, and thus the electric guitarists and bassist are the only ones actually required to purchase much of anything, you may agree that having a few exceptions to the usual rule is appropriate.

For us, the usual dividing line between responsibilities in the signal chain is the device one step from the mixer that provides the balanced lo-Z signal input into the mixer. This includes mikes, obviously, but also DIs. There are a couple players that have built-in XLR line outs; another exception. In most cases this is logical; everything beyond that would not be needed by the performer individually, so it's only because the PA exists that the player would need to get their sound/signal into such a device in the first place.

However, by that token, an acoustic guitar is its own instrument and wouldn't need the pickup without the PA. None of our guitarists except me (I use my piezo-equipped Taylor) have a pickup, for this very good reason. This position is further reinforced by looking at our current mike-based setup for acoustics; we wouldn't force each guitarist to buy an SM57 to be heard in the mix, so why would a pickup be any different, especially when the major reason to use one instead of a mike is PA-centric (having a more stable PA mix)?

Now, your position is valid as well; it is very easy to make the argument that the pickup, attached to the guitar, becomes an integral component that significantly defines tone; as such, the player has a big interest in having their own so they can control what's going into the board. The church has therefore decided that we should ask the players to buy their own (making the recommendations given here), but the church will also buy a couple of pickups if players cannot afford their own and/or for brand-new members.

• Members

They don't get much love here, but a Dean Markley Pro-Mag Plus has always worked for me. MF has a string/Pro Mag deal going in their latest catalog for cheap.

Our previous guitarist used a Pro-Mag Grand and I hated the tone of that thing; mid-humped, nasal, sounded like the guitar was stuffed full of socks. That said, we didn't get much chance to EQ it. I think I would still lean towards recommending an SD Woody or a clamp-on like the Fishman Neo-D.

• Members

. . . Personally, I think it's ridiculous for churches to be flipping the bill for player's gear.

Only if the church is antagonistic toward the players or just plain poor. You don't make the pastor bring along a pulpit and PA system. You don't make the organist bring his/her own instrument. Our praise band has a bass player because an older member donated a bass, provided we could find someone to play it. Another congregation that rents our building when we're not there provides the bass amp (they use it for a keyboard amp). I own my guitar and installed my own pickup specifically so I could play it in church but the church provided the DI box I use. It was that or provide a mike and stand since the bass amp only has one channel. Or not have a guitarist. I preach when the pastor is on vacation, maintain the web site, write a monthly column for the newsletter, and play in the praise band. I don't get a red cent for doing any of it. Most of us who give our time to churches don't get paid for it unless we're professional staff members, which we're generally not, especially in smaller churches. I frankly don't think a few minor pieces of gear is asking too much. I don't expect a free Custom Shop Martin, just something to plug my guitar into. In the instance the original post is about, there will be a couple of modestly priced soundhole pickups for players to use in worship only. Same thing as mikes for the PA.

Archived