Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride and Joy - Acoustic 12 String

Stackabones

• Members

To me, Guild makes the best sounding 12...they have a number of models over the years, but the Maples sound great to me....Love that stable of Stevie's guitars......

Hey, any reason guys with the name "STeve" are especially great guitar players?

He certainly reminds me of seeing Steve Goodman live...a great chop. I wish there was a vid at the time of Steve doing his "Sin to Tell a Lie" back in the 70's.....a very similar style using the same chord formations and at a similar pace....a thousand notes a measure.

This is the closest I can find on U-tube....not the same tempo, but again some similar licks. He gets into it at 2:00.

[YOUTUBE]q8b_Uus3A7g[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Stack, that's got to be my all-time favorite video of SRV.

For the life of me, I can't get that rhythm. It looks so simple and I consider myself a pretty good strummer, but this one escapes me for some reason.

His songs fit into my vocal range so I'd love to be able to do a few.

• Members

He certainly reminds me of seeing Steve Goodman live...a great chop. I wish there was a vid at the time of Steve doing his "Sin to Tell a Lie" back in the 70's.....a very similar style using the same chord formations and at a similar pace....a thousand notes a measure. This is the closest I can find on U-tube....not the same tempo, but again some similar licks. He gets into it at 2:00.

Awesome. I'd forgotten what a great guitarist Steve was. Thanks for this.

(P.S. I was inspired by Goodman's "Sin," too. I still do a fingerstyle medley of that and "Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter." They're pretty similar.)

• Members

He is doing a mute with his chord hand almost immediately after the chord is struck. That is giving it that "chop" feel.

Right. I can do a similar thing on other songs, but the timing of this strum and the mute is not quite the same.

I know it takes practice. But it drives me nuts when I try it.

• Members

Awesome. I'd forgotten what a great guitarist Steve was. Thanks for this.

(P.S. I was inspired by Goodman's "Sin," too. I still do a fingerstyle medley of that and "Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter." They're pretty similar.)

Steve would throw really similar leads together and mix them into any song he was playing at the time. I think he just liked showing off a bit. I was sitting down next to him one late afternoon and he pulled out his LG and started doing a tune by Marty Stewart....Big Iron......unbelievable......

It's on his album....Easter Tapes....one of greatest albums of all time...well, for a Goodman fan. Unbelievable guitar licks, one song after another....and yes, there is a "different" version of "It's a Sin" on it as well....I heard him play that song live over a dozen times, and each time differently.

Click on Easter Tapes, then listen to the free samples.....

http://www.amazon.com/Steve-Goodman/e/B000APWCF6/ref=ntt_dp_epwcd_T1_0

• Members

SRV is one my favorite guitarists ever. I regard him as a technical player capable of doing almost anything he set his mind to - Eric Johnson and Danny Gatton are others that come to mind in that regard - but a player who could also create melodies, rhythms and PURE emotion that most technical players can only dream of doing. Love him. Thanks for posting.

Archived